Michaela Mabrey reportedly joining ND Staff | The Boneyard

Michaela Mabrey reportedly joining ND Staff

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

As he mentioned in his other tweet, they have two positions open.

Mabrey was the Director of Recruiting at LSU.

@SECbbfan24 @Dillon77 @Orangutan

Hmm...wondering if she got the assistant job or if she will be focused on recruiting like her job at LSU.

She was an assistant for one year under Megan Duffy at Miami (OH) before going to LSU. Wasn't sure what the story was around her departure from there. But you would certainly think Muffet reached out to Megan before hiring Mike.

I like the addition because she is someone that can relate to the younger generation like Ivey did. She also has that combination of positivity and willingness to challenge people that Niele does.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Good for Michaela. She always seemed like a good egg to me.

Reaction Score
Hmm...wondering if she got the assistant job or if she will be focused on recruiting like her job at LSU.

She was an assistant for one year under Megan Duffy at Miami (OH) before going to LSU. Wasn't sure what the story was around her departure from there was. But you would certainly think Muffet reached out to Megan before hiring Mike.

I like the addition because she is someone that can relate to the younger generation like Ivey did. She also has that combination of positivity and willingness to challenge people that Niele does.

I see what you did there. ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

She was an assistant for one year under Megan Duffy at Miami (OH) before going to LSU. Wasn't sure what the story was around her departure from there was. But you would certainly think Muffet reached out to Megan before hiring Mike.

You can well guess this Jersey-based WBB and Irish fan is just a wee bit pleased with this hire. :D (time to crack open the refreshing adult summer beverage! :cool: )

Some thoughts:
- When Niele initially left, I wondered (and posted) whether ND might split the jobs up into an assistant coach and a director of recruiting, as many schools (including LSU, where Mike was until now) are starting to do.
- The subsequent job posting on the U of Notre Dame site was a relatively generic one for an assistant coach who would help on on recruiting.
- Based on that, gotta think that Mike is coming aboard as said assistant coach.
- Interesting question is who oversees the recruiting? Will Beth Morgan Cunningham take overall direction for Niele?Or will MM (Muffet McGraw) oversee for a year, with Michaela priming to take lead in following year?
- In any case, the Mabreys hail from the Jersey Shore, the heart and soul of NJ's women's basketball, so I'd suspect you'll see that familiar hair bob in many a gym off the Garden State Parkway this winter.
- Agree with you on Mike's ability to get along with, lead, challenge and instruct: McGraw joked Mike was running practices as a senior.
Go Irish!

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Hmm. A paper door sign? Can't ND dig into their gold stash and get a proper sign? ;)
That's just the temporary sign. The permanent one is being fashioned as we speak in a third world sweatshop -- but don't worry, Muffet has made sure it's an all-female workforce.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Muffet has made sure it's an all-female workforce.

Not so fast. She didn't really mean what she said last spring.

Men considered

Asked if she considered any men for her latest coaching hire, McGraw indicated that she did.
She also said a declaration to the contrary on the subject that was attributed to her last March was “a little bit out of context.”

“We talked to a few men, did some interviews on the phone, looked at what the resumes were like coming in, and looked around the country without even looking at resumes, just to see who’s out there that really would be good for us,” McGraw said. “It came down to an easy decision because it was Michaela, but we definitely were looking at guys, too.”
McGraw drew mostly wide praise and a social media buzz at the Final Four last April when she weighed in passionately on the discrepancies in male/female employment practices around the nation, both in and out of sports.

A week earlier, though, she also drew some criticism amid the praise when she indicated in a ThinkProgress.org story that she would never hire another man as an assistant coach given hiring habits elsewhere around the country.

“That statement I think came a little bit out of context,” McGraw said Monday. “I was talking about how our female staff was working together and how well we worked together and how much I enjoyed it, and it was sort of an off-hand remark that got taken a little bit too far. I’ve had so many great guys on my staff, and we still have some guys around us in our program, so we were completely open (in who was considered).”

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not so fast. She didn't really mean what she said last spring.

Men considered

Asked if she considered any men for her latest coaching hire, McGraw indicated that she did.
She also said a declaration to the contrary on the subject that was attributed to her last March was “a little bit out of context.”

“We talked to a few men, did some interviews on the phone, looked at what the resumes were like coming in, and looked around the country without even looking at resumes, just to see who’s out there that really would be good for us,” McGraw said. “It came down to an easy decision because it was Michaela, but we definitely were looking at guys, too.”
McGraw drew mostly wide praise and a social media buzz at the Final Four last April when she weighed in passionately on the discrepancies in male/female employment practices around the nation, both in and out of sports.

A week earlier, though, she also drew some criticism amid the praise when she indicated in a ThinkProgress.org story that she would never hire another man as an assistant coach given hiring habits elsewhere around the country.

“That statement I think came a little bit out of context,” McGraw said Monday. “I was talking about how our female staff was working together and how well we worked together and how much I enjoyed it, and it was sort of an off-hand remark that got taken a little bit too far. I’ve had so many great guys on my staff, and we still have some guys around us in our program, so we were completely open (in who was considered).”

Translation: The moment she had a vacancy on her staff, the Notre Dame legal people gave her a stern talking-to.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Translation: The moment she had a vacancy on her staff, the Notre Dame legal people gave her a stern talking-to.

That's the way I take it, too. Basically, "Hire whoever you want. Just make sure to interview men and make sure everyone knows you considered men so that we aren't exposed to a lawsuit."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Probably right. Also, maybe McGuff and Tsipis were a little perplexed.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Probably right. Also, maybe McGuff and Tsipis were a little perplexed.

Yes, there are a few other "P" words that might've come to mind for KM and JT, as well. :rolleyes:
BTW, Bill Fennelly was also an assistant at ND under MM for a spell before going to Toledo and now Iowa State.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom