Michael Nebrick deserves a new thread on the BY. He earned it! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Michael Nebrick deserves a new thread on the BY. He earned it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You conclusion has nothing to do with what anything I am saying. And it has nothing to do with logic either. I don't believe anyone should be kicked off the team. Your strawman is silly.

But my original point stands. Many on the Boneyard argue against giving a player a fair shot even when the starter has proven he is prone to game changing errors and has one of the worse W/L records in FBS football.

Your strawman that many here argue against giving a player a fair shot is ridiculous. You keep harping on UConn's record with Whitmer at QB, but ignore the fact it is better than UConn's record with Boyle at QB.

Your insistence that he isn't being given a fair shot is also a straw man. You've built up the specious argument that the fact the team isn't winning is all Whitmer's fault, and concluded that the only reason Boyle isn't playing is because Diaco is unfair.

It's a really fahking stupid argument, considering:
1) Boyle is 0-UConn
2) has thrown 1 interception every 16 attempts
3) has thrown 0 touchdowns every 159 attempts
4) and has one of the worst QB ratings in the country.

The repeated statements that the losses all fall on Whitmer is so stupid, that even people who would rather see Boyle play because they believe it will make him better next year, are calling you out for being a moron and insufferable p r _ c k about it.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
While this is true, the reverse also applies. There are some great QBs at that level that benefit from the level of play.

For every Flacco, you also have a Pat Devlin.

Pat is on Vikings practice squad - he is an injury away for the Big Show.
Someone in the Vikings organization thinks his arm is strong enough and he can read defenses - not saying they are right...

Reaction Score
You conclusion has nothing to do with what anything I am saying. And it has nothing to do with logic either. I don't believe anyone should be kicked off the team. Your strawman is silly.

But my original point stands. Many on the Boneyard argue against giving a player a fair shot even when the starter has proven he is prone to game changing errors and has one of the worse W/L records in FBS football.

Yes, it was a silly strawman. As is yours. Nobody has made the argument the way you lay it out. You just interpret it that way.

All of us at this stage wish Boyle kept his redshirt. All of us think this has been mishandled. If you can find someone that would say now that the season is "done" Boyle shouldn't get more or the majority of reps, I'd be surprised.

That being said, your position is that Whitmer is the reason that the team has a terrible record in the games he has started. He bears the responsibility for some of that, and some of that is on the rest of the team (the line, McCombs, bad coaching, you name it). Your argument that "if we are going to be 2-10" we might as well play Boyle instead of Whitmer has some merit, but only if you believe we would be 2-10 regardless of who is the starter. If you "think" you would be at least 6-6 with Whitmer and 2-10 with Boyle, then you should play Whitmer. Especially if you think Boyle is bad enough that it will hamper all of the other things you are trying to teach your offense.

So it boils down to this. If we knew that Cochran was going to be out for the season, you believe that Whitmer would be 2-10 and Boyle would be better (or at least not worse) than 2-10. Maybe you are right. But the coach doesn't believe that.

And BTW if Whitmer was on the bench, you'd be quoting articles like this about how highly rated Whitmer was and how crazy it is that he was nailed to the bench.

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/whitmer_chandler00.html

I get it - we are all frustrated. Losing sucks. But stop exaggerating what was an obvious mistake in how Nebrich was handled into every other personnel decision that is made, especially when the current coaching staff has nothing to do with it.

Reaction Score
Pat is on Vikings practice squad - he is an injury away for the Big Show.
Someone in the Vikings organization thinks his arm is strong enough and he can read defenses - not saying they are right...

I dunno. I watched this guy for awhile. He couldn't beat a walk-on in McGloin, and McGloin is also in the NFL. But then a lot of guys are.

Translation: Devlin is up there with Zach Fraser with me. There's a little bit of that Drew Henson syndrome. Big arm? Give him a chance. Develop him.

Reaction Score
I for one would argue that Whitmer deserves a shot to lead the team these last 3 games. That kid has given every ounce of his being to this program and has done nothing, other than approach graduation, to lose that right. And I have not been a big CW fan.

And can we move past a kid that quit the program and is having success elsewhere? Ever? If not, perhaps we can spell his name right when we build him a shrine! I'm sure he was a ncie kid and may have done good things here, but the advantage he has over the kids that stayed is that he did not play (he did sparingly, but his results were not good). We seem to always love the kid who is not playing.

Then again, some of the best O players we have produced over the years have been kids who were supposedly less good at practice

Reaction Score
And BTW - Nebrich left on his own. He might very well be our starting QB if he hadn't left. That's on him.

Reaction Score
Mike was never given a chance at UConn.

Johnny Mac went 1o straight quarters (10 quarters) without producing an offensive TD and yet P left Nebrich on the bench.

Of course, many Boneyarders agree with the philosophy that you just leave the starting quarterback in the game regardless if he produces or not.

You know, you didn't use to be such a schmuck. Many on the board believed that Nebrich looked good enough when we saw him play, especially compared to McEntee, that they wanted to see more. Almost no one wants boyle to play more because of what they've seen him do versus what Whitmer has done.

Now there are some, like you, who would like to see Boyle get more time DESPITE what he has shown when he is on the field, but that is a totally different thing than arguing from what you've seen on the field that we would be better if the backup gets more PT. Nebrich showed a lot of skills and potential in his cameos, unlike what boyle has shown in far more snaps. Hence, there was at that time a reasonable and rational discussion.

Reaction Score
And BTW - Nebrich left on his own. He might very well be our starting QB if he hadn't left. That's on him.

Also, in terms of Palatine strawmen, there was never a hint that Nebrich didn't get it done in practice, as we heard afterwards about CAsey. Nebrich was a true frosh learning. No one ever heard anything more negative than that.

Reaction Score
I for one would argue that Whitmer deserves a shot to lead the team these last 3 games. That kid has given every ounce of his being to this program and has done nothing, other than approach graduation, to lose that right. And I have not been a big CW fan.

And can we move past a kid that quit the program and is having success elsewhere? Ever? If not, perhaps we can spell his name right when we build him a shrine! I'm sure he was a ncie kid and may have done good things here, but the advantage he has over the kids that stayed is that he did not play (he did sparingly, but his results were not good). We seem to always love the kid who is not playing.

Then again, some of the best O players we have produced over the years have been kids who were supposedly less good at practice

I am all for moving on but...with all the talk about mediocre qb play it is worth noting that Nebrich (spelled it write this time, is definitely one that got away) My theory is the instate qb stars have an advantage over out of state quarterbacks. Recruiting your best in state players has something to do with it. Nebrich is a true dual threat QB with
4.5 40 speed that should have been given a better shot. As the thread states, he deserves the recognition. Someone at UCONN blew it! One has to wonder how Kivon Taylor and Richard Lagow might have done.

Reaction Score
I am all for moving on but...with all the talk about mediocre qb play it is worth noting that Nebrich (spelled it write this time, is definitely one that got away) My theory is the instate qb stars have an advantage over out of state quarterbacks. Recruiting your best in state players has something to do with it. Nebrich is a true dual threat QB with
4.5 40 speed that should have been given a better shot. As the thread states, he deserves the recognition. Someone at UCONN blew it! One has to wonder how Kivon Taylor and Richard Lagow might have done.

But who blew it?

On the 2011 Roster:

Nebrich (FR)
McCummings (RS FR)
Driscoll (SO)
Johnny Mac (RS JR)

On the 2012 Roster:

Casey Cochran, Fr. OR
Johnny McEntee, Sr. OR
Scott McCummings, Soph. OR
Michael Nebrich, Soph. OR (except that he left before the season started)
Chandler Whitmer, Soph.

--------------------------------

That isn't a murderer's row of QBs. He chose not to compete. Maybe he didn't think he could compete with Whitmer / McCummings. Clearly he is better than both of them. Had he stayed he might have been putting up huge numbers for us. Maybe P led him to believe he wasn't going to make it, and P didn't recruit him, but he chose to go to Fordham, and he is clearly better than everyone else on our roster.

Reaction Score
But who blew it?

On the 2011 Roster:

Nebrich (FR)
McCummings (RS FR)
Driscoll (SO)
Johnny Mac (RS JR)

On the 2012 Roster:

Casey Cochran, Fr. OR
Johnny McEntee, Sr. OR
Scott McCummings, Soph. OR
Michael Nebrich, Soph. OR (except that he left before the season started)
Chandler Whitmer, Soph.

--------------------------------

That isn't a murderer's row of QBs. He chose not to compete. Maybe he didn't think he could compete with Whitmer / McCummings. Clearly he is better than both of them. Had he stayed he might have been putting up huge numbers for us. Maybe P led him to believe he wasn't going to make it, and P didn't recruit him, but he chose to go to Fordham, and he is clearly better than everyone else on our roster.

Chose not to compete? I doubt it! Do you know how many quality players never see the field at the P5's. Joe Morehead knew
where Nebrich stood with the coaching staff and Nebrich no doubt read the handwriting on the wall. Morehead gave Nebrich an offer he could not refuse--a chance to be a star that he never would have had at UCONN. It's a shame we lost him but please don' t try to convince me that Nebrich is not a competitor! That is so wrong!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The kid should have been given a redshirt like Tim Boyle should have had last year.

Reaction Score
Chose not to compete? I doubt it! Do you know how many quality players never see the field at the P5's. Joe Morehead knew
where Nebrich stood with the coaching staff and Nebrich no doubt read the handwriting on the wall. Morehead gave Nebrich an offer he could not refuse--a chance to be a star that he never would have had at UCONN. It's a shame we lost him but please don' t try to convince me that Nebrich is not a competitor! That is so wrong!

I'm not saying he made the wrong decision. I also don't say that to deride him. But it is a fact, he chose not to compete at UCONN and instead chose pretty much guaranteed playing time at a lesser program. 100000% rational. That doesn't mean he is a wuss or he isn't a competitor in general. It just means that he did not compete for the UCONN QB job (or stopped competing when he thought he lost).

Reaction Score
We screwed up so badly with Nebrich. Thank you, PP and GDL!

Reaction Score
I'm not saying he made the wrong decision. I also don't say that to deride him. But it is a fact, he chose not to compete at UCONN and instead chose pretty much guaranteed playing time at a lesser program. 100000% rational. That doesn't mean he is a wuss or he isn't a competitor in general. It just means that he did not compete for the UCONN QB job (or stopped competing when he thought he lost).

Hey Money... (Like the name) You gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em, know when to walk away and know when to run...Timing is everything in life!

Reaction Score
Nope. He would never have gotten a chance.

Threw for 350 today against Army.

Reaction Score
Can we just agree that PP and GDL were the worst thing that ever hit UConn football and this is just one more example of the gross mismanagement of the program.

Reaction Score
Can we just agree that PP and GDL were the worst thing that ever hit UConn football and this is just one more example of the gross mismanagement of the program.
Would have agreed with you until saw 1st half of this game, now not so sure. PP is over, Diaco is not.

Reaction Score
Got a chance to see him against army today and realized a lot of his stats are system driven. They pretty rarely ask him to throw anything more than short passes with his stats today really helped by a 65 yr td on a blown coverage. Made a couple of intermediate throws that almost got picked off due to a lack of arm strength, which really stands out. And that was with ALL DAY to throw the ball as Fordham's oline shut down the army pass rushers. All in all probably better than our options now but I'm not sure how much successes he'd have in the system and with the supporting cast at UConn. Very happy he's been able to succeed at Fordham though.

Reaction Score
Mike made the right decision and he's obviously a heck of a competitor. Our loss but to Mike and Mr. Nebrich congratulations. I've enjoyed watching Fordham especially lately.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you watched Nebrich today and came away with the impression he would have solved UConn's problems the last few years... I have no idea what you were watching. He is a good Patriot League QB.

Whitmer would tear up the Patriot League.

Reaction Score
Fordham was down 28-10 going into the 4th quarter. Nebrich had a couple hundred yards of garbage time yards.

I have Cam Newton on my fantasy team and he does that every week.

He is better than what we have and I wish he hadn't left but I thought Fordham was supposed to beat Army like a rented mule. Not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom