Miami's Losses -- What Hurts Them? | The Boneyard

Miami's Losses -- What Hurts Them?

Reaction Score
Miami has lost only 2 games in the last two months, but they may be instructive towards answering the question of "when Miami loses, why?"

Notably, in both losses, to FSU and Duke, they gave up 85 points. If Miami is losing, it's probably because of their defense.

The first is Florida State. This was a bad, bad loss to an awful team where they blew a 25 point lead. Looking through the play by play, FSU did a lot of their damage in the 2nd half at the rim. A lot of layups and dunks. Some free throws. For the game, they were 26/43 inside the arc. This is consistent with the take that Miami doesn't foul much because they don't challenge shots. Notably, FSU's run was dominated by big guards and wings, a lot of 6'5-6'7 guys, like we have. We'll need to get Newton going downhill and finishing at the rim -- Hawkins and Jackson too -- especially if outside shots aren't falling.

The other loss was to Duke in the ACC Tournament. Duke killed them everywhere -- 8/16 from 3, 20/35 from 2, 21/25 from the line. Their centers, Filipowski and Lively, were unstoppable (12/14), though there's a big caveat here that Omier was basically unavailable (played 1 minute). Sanogo won't have that kind of advantage unless we can get Omier out of the game. 6'7-ish forwards Mitchell, Proctor, and Whitehead all had strong games. It seems like Duke just overwhelmed them with size (outrebounded Miami 36-24), balanced with enough outside shooting to keep the D honest. Miami also had a mediocre outside shooting day (8/26), which they may resort to when undersized (though we can't guarantee they'll do it badly).

Bottom line: When Miami loses, they struggle defending height or slashing guards (and sometimes the 3 point line) and can't make up for it with enough of their own shooting.

Reaction Score
Miami has lost only 2 games in the last two months, but they may be instructive towards answering the question of "when Miami loses, why?"

Notably, in both losses, to FSU and Duke, they gave up 85 points. If Miami is losing, it's probably because of their defense.

The first is Florida State. This was a bad, bad loss to an awful team where they blew a 25 point lead. Looking through the play by play, FSU did a lot of their damage in the 2nd half at the rim. A lot of layups and dunks. Some free throws. For the game, they were 26/43 inside the arc. This is consistent with the take that Miami doesn't foul much because they don't challenge shots. Notably, FSU's run was dominated by big guards and wings, a lot of 6'5-6'7 guys, like we have. We'll need to get Newton going downhill and finishing at the rim -- Hawkins and Jackson too -- especially if outside shots aren't falling.

The other loss was to Duke in the ACC Tournament. Duke killed them everywhere -- 8/16 from 3, 20/35 from 2, 21/25 from the line. Their centers, Filipowski and Lively, were unstoppable (12/14), though there's a big caveat here that Omier was basically unavailable (played 1 minute). Sanogo won't have that kind of advantage unless we can get Omier out of the game. 6'7-ish forwards Mitchell, Proctor, and Whitehead all had strong games. It seems like Duke just overwhelmed them with size (outrebounded Miami 36-24), balanced with enough outside shooting to keep the D honest. Miami also had a mediocre outside shooting day (8/26), which they may resort to when undersized (though we can't guarantee they'll do it badly).

Bottom line: When Miami loses, they struggle defending height or slashing guards (and sometimes the 3 point line) and can't make up for it with enough of their own shooting.
nice job with this write up. I want to watch Miami's 1st rd game against Drake. I only saw about 10 minutes of that game live and then I have only seen the highlights. Credit for Miami for being resilient and finishing that game with a 16-1 run and turning 8 pt deficit into a 7 pt win. Drake had them on the ropes being up 8 with 5 minutes left.

One thing I noticed from that game was that Wong and Jordan Miller combined for 4-17 shooting. Hopefully something like that happens again for them against UConn and UConn can advance to the finals. Also, Drake's big guy, Brodie, outplayed Omier.

Reaction Score
i was reading an opposing coaches scouting report of Miami and one thing they really hit on was that Miami has trouble defending screens and screen game = hawkins.
Off-ball screens like for Hawkins or on-ball screens like for Newton?

caw

Reaction Score

Both from the eye test. They have serious issues staying focused on defense when defending off ball movement. They ball watch looking to jump passing lanes for steals.

On ball, they don't fight hard enough to go through screens and Omier plays not to foul quite often (he may go for a block here and there as a weakside defender, but he plays defense like Timme when challenged). Again just from the 6 games I have watched of theirs. They are supremely confident the other team can't stop them and they will be able to keep it close long enough to win in the end.

You can expect two things though. 1) They should be more focused now and 2) they will play the passing lanes for steals.

They haven't really pressed the ball hard like they did last year, but who knows if they change anything up.

Reaction Score
"I think UConn could destroy them with their screening action. They struggle against screening action. Wake Forest made 15 3s [against them]. Drake tried to screen them down the stretch and got some buckets. They don't spend a ton of time working on that. You can screen them. And they're small. They'll struggle with Jordan Hawkins. They struggled with Virginia Tech because of all the screening and movement and misdirection. Like if your offense is based on dribbling the ball, isolation and pick-and-roll, you can score but it's going to be hard over the course of 40 minutes. They're good in pick-and-roll. They'll put two on the ball, Omier will hedge. They switch. They have good athletes and they're smart."

"If Omier is not on the floor, they can struggle at times. His splits are telling. They don't have a ton of depth, but the depth they do have is fine. Just the foul trouble. UConn can probably match them athletically and they've got size at the rim so it will be interesting to see."

Miami's defensive kryptonite is our offensive bread and butter. we will be impossible for them to stop if hawk is hitting 3s and sanogo is finishing down low.

Reaction Score
Both from the eye test. They have serious issues staying focused on defense when defending off ball movement. They ball watch looking to jump passing lanes for steals.

On ball, they don't fight hard enough to go through screens and Omier plays not to foul quite often (he may go for a block here and there as a weakside defender, but he plays defense like Timme when challenged). Again just from the 6 games I have watched of theirs. They are supremely confident the other team can't stop them and they will be able to keep it close long enough to win in the end.

You can expect two things though. 1) They should be more focused now and 2) they will play the passing lanes for steals.

They haven't really pressed the ball hard like they did last year, but who knows if they change anything up.
The "playing the passing lanes for steals" concerns me, especially as Jackson is prone to going for the difficult pass, and we also tend to telegraph passes into Sanogo.

Reaction Score
The "playing the passing lanes for steals" concerns me, especially as Jackson is prone to going for the difficult pass, and we also tend to telegraph passes into Sanogo.
I get the concern, but every time somebody goes for a steal against us and misses we absolutely bury them

Reaction Score
Omier reminds me of Villanova's big, Dixon. Thick, strong but springier. He could gave AS trouble. Adama is at his best when he's on the low block. Dixon had some success pushing him out and making him receive the ball more in the middle of the lane or out near the FT line. Omier also appears quick enough that he could try to front Adama. Their other guys are quick enough that if we try to pass over him, they can help and get steals. If they can get away without having to help on AS, their perimeter D could then limit the damage our shooters can do.

Combine that with the fact that the strength of their offense is driving to the hoop, and that's exactly what we struggled to stop in January, and this game has me the most worried I've been.

To be fair, I was also "the most worried I've been" for Iona, St.Mary's, Arkansas, and Gonzaga. :)

Reaction Score
Omier reminds me of Villanova's big, Dixon. Thick, strong but springier. He could gave AS trouble. Adama is at his best when he's on the low block. Dixon had some success pushing him out and making him receive the ball more in the middle of the lane or out near the FT line. Omier also appears quick enough that he could try to front Adama. Their other guys are quick enough that if we try to pass over him, they can help and get steals. If they can get away without having to help on AS, their perimeter D could then limit the damage our shooters can do.

Combine that with the fact that the strength of their offense is driving to the hoop, and that's exactly what we struggled to stop in January, and this game has me the most worried I've been.

To be fair, I was also "the most worried I've been" for Iona, St.Mary's, Arkansas, and Gonzaga. :)
Dixon is taller and weighs 10 pounds more than the Omier. Dixon is a rich man's Omier.

Reaction Score

Drake’s big is as close to Sanogo as Miami has seen in the tournament and I don’t remember seeing Omier fronting him at all. He basically just played him straight up and took his lumps.

The rest of your point is where the spacing is so important. Have to space the floor enough where it’s really hard to bring that help.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom