MHver3 on Clemson and FSU | The Boneyard

MHver3 on Clemson and FSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
MHver3@MHver3

At least FSU officials are exposing the so-called "unanimous" vote

MHver3@MHver3

So Clemson gets cold feet and decides they don't want to leave but don't want to lose FSU so they tell Swofford get ND at any cost or else

MHver3@MHver3

FSUs hands were tied. Very well could be the end of B12 expansion. $50 million ironclad. Hard to overcome.

MHver3@MHver3

Their AD retiring was really it for Clemson to Big12 anyway.

MHver3@MHver3

So Clemson shows their true colors. I stand corrected. They voted for ND but against the exit fee increase. Fence sitters.

MHver3@MHver3

Early feelers are that FSU still wants the move but will definitely need help with the exit fees. More help than WVU needed.

MHver3@MHver3

Exit fee increase and allowing Pitt and Cuse to vote has been a HUGE curveball. It was unforeseen by anyone in FSU admin and B12.

MHver3@MHver3

Exit fees at $50 million gonna make moving a lot harder. Swoffords attempt to block the defections.

MHver3@MHver3

New exit fees are a result of some schools unwillingness to sign a GOR. FSU officials livid. Pitt and Cuse additions made the votes possible

MHver3@MHver3

FSU and a few others tried to block this move up to the last minute

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
I do find it strange that the exit fee is raised to $50m the same day as the addition of ND.

At what point does ESPN tear up the contract & renegotiate. The favorable terms they have hurts the viablity of their product.

One would think that the addition of ND would make the ACC more attractive.

UConn fans have to hope that the Big10 now will have to focus on something other than ND & Texas. Go east old conference!

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
Is a WVU crank with a Twitter account more legitimate today than he was yesterday? I mean, he wasn't the only one predicting ND to the ACC.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Is a WVU crank with a Twitter account more legitimate today than he was yesterday? I mean, he wasn't the only one predicting ND to the ACC.

The sun shines on a dog's ass every now and then...

Reaction Score
The sun shines on a dog's ass every now and then...

Well then you better hope the dog's ass if facing away from the sun today:

MHver3@MHver3
Espn now offering to sweeten the pot for the B12-renegotiation-if we expand with 2 Big East teams. Now giving us five to choose from.

Reaction Score
MHver3@MHver3
Espn now offering to sweeten the pot for the B12-renegotiation-if we expand with 2 Big East teams. Now giving us five to choose from.

This all makes sense. In the last round of expansion, the BE was wounded, but not dead. It was able to reload, holding on to some core members and adding new ones. Now I have to believe, if ESPN really wants to kill off the BE, the way to do it is to move UCONN to the ACC, and Louisville and either CINN/USF to the Big-12. This removes any marquee names that play both football & basketball. And I just cant see the original catholics wanting to be in a league with Memphis, SMU, Houston at that point. The BE would be wounded beyond repair at that point

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
MHver3@MHver3

This all makes sense. In the last round of expansion, the BE was wounded, but not dead. It was able to reload, holding on to some core members and adding new ones. Now I have to believe, if ESPN really wants to kill off the BE, the way to do it is to move UCONN to the ACC, and Louisville and either CINN/USF to the Big-12. This removes any marquee names that play both football & basketball. And I just cant see the original catholics wanting to be in a league with Memphis, SMU, Houston at that point. The BE would be wounded beyond repair at that point

The risk is that they can accomplish this goal simply by pushing Louisville and Cincinatti to the B12.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
And/or Rutgers

Rutgers doesn't make any sense for the B12 unless UConn comes with them (and the same holds true for the opposite--UConn doesn't make sense for the B12 unless Rutgers comes with them). The only way that happens is if the B12 goes to 14...which is as likely as Jeff Jacobs crying at Calhouns retirement announcement this afternoon.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the question is who are the 5?

uconn
ruty
usf
cincy
lville
uh
bsu

i see 7 teams that could be possible. or if he means current big east teams then its the top 5.

Reaction Score
Rutgers doesn't make any sense for the B12 unless UConn comes with them (and the same holds true for the opposite--UConn doesn't make sense for the B12 unless Rutgers comes with them). The only way that happens is if the B12 goes to 14...which is as likely as Jeff Jacobs crying at Calhouns retirement announcement this afternoon.

Louisville and Rutgers are popular choices among Big 12 fans. They want big city exposure for their league and they think Rutgers will provide it. I would argue that UConn offers far more on a national level in terms of exposure for any league because people tune in to both basketball programs. It is a far more consistent and bigger brand in general than Rutgers.

Any league taking two teams from the Big East should take the best available, those are UL and UConn. Travel schmavel.

Reaction Score

uconn
ruty
usf
cincy
lville
uh
bsu

i see 7 teams that could be possible. or if he means current big east teams then its the top 5.

uconn
ruty
usf
cincy
lville

pj

Reaction Score
BYU is also in the mix for the Big 12. I doubt UConn and Rutgers will do, too far away. Also, of course ESPN is pushing Big East teams, that's the property it doesn't own. But the Big 12 would much rather have FSU + another ACC. FSU must be considering contesting the unilateral increase in its exit fee, hard to see that holding up. I could see FSU and Louisville to Big 12, UConn and Rutgers to ACC.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe that our biggest concern at the moment is that ESPN/ACC want us the be the bridesmaid, waiting however long it takes for ND to join in football (and us stepping in as #16) and the plan is that if the convince the B-12 to take two of UL/Cincy/Rutgers, we'll have no choice but to agree to that fate.

Reaction Score
If ESPN wants the BE dead, they're going to make sure to cut off the programs that don't have suitable replacements available. USF is replaceable by someone like ECU. Rutgers is competitively replaceable, but locationally not replaceable. Cincinnati is only replaceable by BYU. UConn and Louisville both are irreplaceable.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I believe that our biggest concern at the moment is that ESPN/ACC want us the be the bridesmaid, waiting however long it takes for ND to join in football (and us stepping in as #16) and the plan is that if the convince the B-12 to take two of UL/Cincy/Rutgers, we'll have no choice but to agree to that fate.

this is a major fear. if nd ever signs with nbc post 2015 then we are screwed becuase the lenght of time will just increase where we are at a lesser level then the others. i think we need to or at least try to come off strong and give a now or never type move. call up the b10 and b12, even if its a no we have to try and force this hand to happen soon to the acc and not take years. we are at risk or losing everything we built right now. go down fighting. the worst case ever possible is that we play bball with the best bball only schools in the nation in some a10/be 12-16 type league. they would never pass up our bball so we have a spot to land. but our fball could get torn apart and we can't let that happen.

i am one who likes where the nbe is going but am not a idiot, i would love a invite elsewhere. if the acc keeps fsu/clem and crew then yes its a good move and i have held this position for a while now. but if the b12 takes 2 of the 5 core teams that make me ok with the nbe then its dire times.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

He just might.

It's highly unlikely that more than 3 people will read his columns on any given day if he can't take cheap shots at Calhoun.

(In case you are wondering the three are Jeff, his editor and his mom.)

Reaction Score
MHver3@MHver3
5 teams espn suggesting: UL, Uconn, UC, USF, Rutgers

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
MHver3@MHver3
If this is possible (and the best offer we can get in the remote future) we have to jump at it (the threat alone may cause the ACC to react). Ideally we and Rutgers would be a pair but adding us with Louisville instead of Rutgers would give the B-12 an exceptionally strong conference in both football and basketball.

I still believe that the B-12 wants FSU first.

Reaction Score
I do find it strange that the exit fee is raised to $50m the same day as the addition of ND.

At what point does ESPN tear up the contract & renegotiate. The favorable terms they have hurts the viablity of their product.

One would think that the addition of ND would make the ACC more attractive.

The exit fee is actually 3 times the annual operating costs, which is currently around $50 million. But every year that cost goes up. So the exit fee will only get more expensive over time. It sounds like the ACC closed off its borders to all poachers with this move.

I think the addition of a new team automatically reopens the TV contract for new negotiations.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

uconn
ruty
usf
cincy
lville
uh
bsu

Drop the last two, which the B12 wouldn't touch with a 50,000 foot pole. Not that any of this is happening near term.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
MHver3@MHver3

So, he means the rest of the Big East.

Reaction Score
These WVU "insiders" are like a pestilence that won't die.
Every new thing that happens is quickly given another scenario to fit their narrative.

I went to their board and asked:
"Where are the "INSIDER" posts from 09/10/12 that say;
"ND to BE in all sports except fb & hockey. Presser for tomorrow. $50MM exit fee to be announced".

They kept deleting the thread and all I got was...... (crickets).

Bottomline- they were butthurt bcause they felt WVU was a "better" option for expansion than their arch-rival Pitt, or the Cuse.
Now, its all about the "imminent" demise of the ACC & everyone who thinks diffrently, just "doesn't get it".
I don't know what'll happen next in expansion, and I hope you guys eventually join us in the ACC, but you listen to the
Blue Ridge Mountain Nostradamus' at your own peril. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Imagine the Big 12 adding all five, along with UCF. That would be insane.

Calhoun did say our men's bball program alone brings in $12 million. We're going somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom