Mexican Food in CT | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mexican Food in CT

Reaction Score
Have you tried Yoko Loco? The purple food truck that's parked at the old Cartway in Gale Ferry. Fantastic.

I have not, but will now. Thanks for the recommendation.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ever eaten off the street carts in Tijuana?
No, but my buddy swore by the sandwiches they sold at Tijuana Jai-Alai. And it contained some kind of mayonnaise. I just ate the chips. He was driving and lived so...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And there’s so much good Puerto Rican food in Hartford. I know it’s not Mexican, but it has that Latin flavor. Park Street and some of the surrounding neighborhoods is basically mini San Juan.
Don't forget Parkville Market. It's like an indoor food truck festival everyday. I would get the Puerto Rican food there if the line wasn't so long every time. But too many other good eats to wait. And craft beer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think of a city as having "great food" when it isn't just the high end places, but also the mid priced and fast food. Austin for example, has a lot of great little local restaurants that are excellent. Chicago, surprisingly, has a lot of local fast food mexican, especially when you get outside the Loop or Gold Coast. The food is incredible, although your night is typically over after going to one of these places. You only go after the bars, not before.

I think of a city as having "great food" when it isn't just the high end places, but also the mid priced and fast food. Austin for example, has a lot of great little local restaurants that are excellent. Chicago, surprisingly, has a lot of local fast food mexican, especially when you get outside the Loop or Gold Coast. The food is incredible, although your night is typically over after going to one of these places. You only go after the bars, not before.
Topolobampo in Chicago is one my 2 fave "haute" Mexican restaurants in the USA; the other being Hugo's in Houston.

Have to tip my hat to the L.A. street Mexican food vendors. If you are a fan of "innards" or organ meat you could get blown away. If a truck or food stand has a line of non gringos waiting ... Just go there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
the other being Hugo's in Houston.
Had one of my favorite meals ever there during the 2011 FF. I remember we had a dish where we got to choose five different meats, and we immediately chose lamb first because of Jeremy.

Reaction Score
Had one of my favorite meals ever there during the 2011 FF. I remember we had a dish where we got to choose five different meats, and we immediately chose lamb first because of Jeremy.
Ate there during Houston F4 as well. Need to find the pic I snapped of my then senior daughter and B.R. Tom.

Reaction Score
Got out of work early today and picked up an order of Huevos Rancheros from Rincon Taqueria in Norwalk, CT. They are known for their large portions, so I weighed the order...

Official Weight: 2.4 pounds.

I've mentioned Rincon earlier in the thread, but if you are in the area and haven't tried Rincon: please do. Excellent food, big bang for your buck and they provide a style and menu that's unique to any other Mexican food I've had before.

Reaction Score
Costco got this stuff in and it’s excellent.

Attachments

• C97A0E19-2D64-4B5E-B5DE-6A9520125CAA.jpeg
    C97A0E19-2D64-4B5E-B5DE-6A9520125CAA.jpeg
    583.4 KB · Views: 185

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Got out of work early today and picked up an order of Huevos Rancheros from Rincon Taqueria in Norwalk, CT. They are known for their large portions, so I weighed the order...

Official Weight: 2.4 pounds.

I've mentioned Rincon earlier in the thread, but if you are in the area and haven't tried Rincon: please do. Excellent food, big bang for your buck and they provide a style and menu that's unique to any other Mexican food I've had before.
did Maria the owner (with her mother Soledad) serve you? thats a bonus ???

PS the owners are Chilean . . . try the empanadas or any other Chilean special on the menu sometime, it's tough to find that food in CT and its really, really good!

Reaction Score
did Maria the owner (with her mother Soledad) serve you? thats a bonus ???

PS the owners are Chilean . . . try the empanadas or any other Chilean special on the menu sometime, it's tough to find that food in CT and its really, really good!
Ate lunch at Rincon Taqueria today, indoors for the first time since before 'vid and it felt awesome to be back at a favorite.

Explored the menu and tried the tamales: the maseca was insanely good! I usually don't like tamales and probably wouldn't order it again, but it definitely filled me up for a big afternoon of outdoor work. During the summer, I go there about once a week, their pork shoulder tacos are freakin' insane.

Reaction Score
Ate lunch at Rincon Taqueria today, indoors for the first time since before 'vid and it felt awesome to be back at a favorite.

Explored the menu and tried the tamales: the maseca was insanely good! I usually don't like tamales and probably wouldn't order it again, but it definitely filled me up for a big afternoon of outdoor work. During the summer, I go there about once a week, their pork shoulder tacos are freakin' insane.

Pork shoulder taco....that just sounds seriously good...

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Pork shoulder taco....that just sounds seriously good...

I mean isnt that just Carnitas?

Carnitas IS seriously good.

Reaction Score
My school is still without power, so I took advantage of the work from home day to pick up lunch at Tacos El Azteca on Main Ave in Norwalk.

I love this place and realized that I hadn't been here all summer, so I made it my #1 priority today.

Their al pastor tacos are my absolute favorite. Spicy, fatty, slightly sweet. They also do a wonderful job chopping up their cilantro and onions to very small pieces. Very tender tortillas.

Three for $6, ate them elbows up on the trunk of my car.

If you live near Norwalk and like/love tacos, you must try this place.

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 11.29.51 AM.jpg

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
My school is still without power, so I took advantage of the work from home day to pick up lunch at Tacos El Azteca on Main Ave in Norwalk.
Main Street, not Main Avenue. Northeast corner of intersection of US 1 AKA Cross Street aka North Avenue. Not sure of the address but its across from Boccarossa Insurance @ 95 Main Street 06850

Tacos are really really good, grab extra salsas they are tremendous

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Tacos la Rosa getting some bad chatter lately. Prices went up and hours became unpredictable during covid. My last meal there wasn’t up to par.

The taco shop A Mano is moving up. They don’t claim to be authentic, but it’s not Tex-mex. They call it California -mex (Mexicali?) . Very fresh.

I tried to taste test all of the taco shops in the Willimantic area and A Mano had the best carnitas so far. But there are still a couple places I haven’t tried yet.

Reaction Score
Tacos la Rosa getting some bad chatter lately. Prices went up and hours became unpredictable during covid. My last meal there wasn’t up to par.

The taco shop A Mano is moving up. They don’t claim to be authentic, but it’s not Tex-mex. They call it California -mex (Mexicali?) . Very fresh.

I tried to taste test all of the taco shops in the Willimantic area and A Mano had the best carnitas so far. But there are still a couple places I haven’t tried yet.
Being in SD, I figure they mean Tijuana style. They claim street/truck style. It’s most of what we get here in SoCal and TJ is part of the Baja California state of Mx so makes sense

Reaction Score
My wife is on day 6 of quarantine and I’m onto day 3. Food is starting to run low so we splurged on Bar Taco delivery last night.

Fried oyster tacos, mushroom tacos, black beans, corn, tuna poke, plantains and guacamole.

Today I’m super thankful for the extra hot sauces that were in the delivery bag. Super flavorful and the right amount of spice to open everything up. I smothered some fried eggs, black beans and warmed tortillas w tons of the sauce.

Honestly, with how hard it is to find a table at our nearest Bar Taco, delivery is probably our way to go. As mentioned by many here, it’s not “traditional” by any means but it’s so darn good.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My wife is on day 6 of quarantine and I’m onto day 3. Food is starting to run low so we splurged on Bar Taco delivery last night.

Fried oyster tacos, mushroom tacos, black beans, corn, tuna poke, plantains and guacamole.

Today I’m super thankful for the extra hot sauces that were in the delivery bag. Super flavorful and the right amount of spice to open everything up. I smothered some fried eggs, black beans and warmed tortillas w tons of the sauce.

Honestly, with how hard it is to find a table at our nearest Bar Taco, delivery is probably our way to go. As mentioned by many here, it’s not “traditional” by any means but it’s so darn good.

Be thankful Covid didn't wreck your sense of taste like it did mine. So far I can taste: salty, sweet and bitter. My cold brew coffee is indistinguishable from water. I can detect hot spiciness, not taste, but tell it is there. That's a close to flavor as I get. Beer tastes like an aluminum can and bitterness. Maybe on tap will just be bitter. Mexican food with enough seasoning is about my best bet.

It's amazing how this kind of saps the joy out of a lot of things. It is good for dieting though. Down a bit over 3 pounds. Hope you two clear quarantine soon and are feeling good.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Be thankful Covid didn't wreck your sense of taste like it did mine. So far I can taste: salty, sweet and bitter. My cold brew coffee is indistinguishable from water. I can detect hot spiciness, not taste, but tell it is there. That's a close to flavor as I get. Beer tastes like an aluminum can and bitterness. Maybe on tap will just be bitter. Mexican food with enough seasoning is about my best bet.

It's amazing how this kind of saps the joy out of a lot of things. It is good for dieting though. Down a bit over 3 pounds. Hope you two clear quarantine soon and are feeling good.
This would be a fine time to re-try all those foods you don't like, lol. Then go out a splurge at a Nepali or Ethiopian place just to say you've been. There will be enough heat to keep it interesting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This would be a fine time to re-try all those foods you don't like, lol. Then go out a splurge at a Nepali or Ethiopian place just to say you've been. There will be enough heat to keep it interesting.

I've never even seen a Nepali or Ethiopian restaurant. But I'll be at EPCOT soon, maybe there will be something interesting. I could try things I hate, like Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower, but I feel emotionally attached to my hate of those foods.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I could try things I hate, like Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower, but I feel emotionally attached to my hate of those foods.
I used to hate Brussels Sprouts but in the last ten years or so great preparations abound almost everywhere it seems. These ain't your mother's Brussels Sprouts.

A restaurant in town makes a great Buffalo Cauliflower app that's become such a hit with our whole family that my wife has almost perfected the recipe to make at home.

I am on dinner duty tonight because it's her late night for work, and we have settled on taking out great Indian food from a restaurant in the next town. Their Gobi Manchurian is always a must-get: crispy cauliflower in a spicy Indo-Chinese sauce.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've never even seen a Nepali or Ethiopian restaurant. But I'll be at EPCOT soon, maybe there will be something interesting. I could try things I hate, like Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower, but I feel emotionally attached to my hate of those foods.
Since Pittsburgh has Ethiopian and Nepali places, I figured everyone out east has 'em, lol. Ethiopian is a blast... no utensils. A good berbere sauce will get your attention.

You can get Ethiopian in Orlando :p

I haven't been to Epcot since forever, but I do recall the food in the sit down restaurants being really good.

I'll echo @8893 on brussels sprouts. Couldn't stand 'em till maybe 6-7 years ago when a chef friend made some sauteed and charred with a sweet vinegar glaze. Been in the rotation ever since. Still can't do cauliflower though, except sometimes raw with lots of dip after a few drinks. Cannot abide the smell of cooked cauliflower. I don't care how you try to hide it. Tried it as riced (to sub for actual rice), in pizza crusts, that buffalo thing, and other awful-tasting variants. Same with coconut. Stop trying to put it in my food as a "healthy alternative". Yuck.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Since Pittsburgh has Ethiopian and Nepali places, I figured everyone out east has 'em, lol. Ethiopian is a blast... no utensils. A good berbere sauce will get your attention.
New Haven used to have a great Eritrean restaurant called Caffe Adulis that was one of our absolute favorite places to go with friends for many years. Family-style service with that huge spongy bread and the food in piles around it. Just rip off a piece and dig in. Great flavors and great fun. Unfortunately they closed more than ten years ago. There is one Ethiopian place called Lallibella that is good, but Adulis was really special. IIRC @nomar was also a fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom