Mets Hot Stove | The Boneyard

Mets Hot Stove

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No surprise that Cespedes has opted out, and the Mets have exercised Jay Bruce's and Jose Reyes's options. Smart move to make a qualifying offer to Walker imo:

Yoenis Cespedes Opts Out of Mets Deal, Ringing Opening Bell of Free Agency

I would love to sign Cespedes again but I'm not as optimistic that he's going to fall into our lap for a third time; nor do I believe Sandy will overpay for him.

If we're going to overpay for anyone, I'd like it to be a star catcher. But I don't know who qualifies and is available and I'm not overwhelmed by the free agents:

Travis d'Arnaud, Matt Wieters and the Mets' catching situation

I had not heard about Familia's arrest last week. That could be a huge problem.

Reaction Score
The one good thing is that the market didn't show much real interest in Yo last year. He had a "good year", but was it good enough for someone to throw stupid money at him?

You have to think Familia is looking at somewhere in the 40-50 game suspension range, right? If the 4 horses are healthy on Day 1 and Reed fills in as the closer, we can probably weather that storm.

Reaction Score
Wow. Alderson really hasn't done a thing, huh? Should we be worried here?

Reaction Score
I'm not super concerned. If everyone heals up like they are on track to, we will have all the depth we need. There are a few pieces here and there that can be added, but what's the rush? The biggest issue is catcher, I'm done with TdA, should have made a deal.

Anyone have any experience with the MLB.tv 1 team subscription? I guess I'm going to have to do that this Spring since I bought a house in MA and lose SNY from DirecTV.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm not super concerned. If everyone heals up like they are on track to, we will have all the depth we need. There are a few pieces here and there that can be added, but what's the rush? The biggest issue is catcher, I'm done with TdA, should have made a deal.

Anyone have any experience with the MLB.tv 1 team subscription? I guess I'm going to have to do that this Spring since I bought a house in MA and lose SNY from DirecTV.
Yeah, I still think catcher is the biggest issue, too. And trying to deal Bruce now that we've signed Cespedes.

Catcher is a big issue though. Too much pressure on our pitchers when every walk or single is essentially an automatic double and man in scoring position.

Reaction Score
If they keep Bruce and Grandy on top of Cespedes, where does that put Lagares, Conforto and Nimmo? We can't move ONE of them for a decent pen arm?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If they keep Bruce and Grandy on top of Cespedes, where does that put Lagares, Conforto and Nimmo? We can't move ONE of them for a decent pen arm?
I gather from the article that the thinking is that the market has too many free agent outfielders available right now for the Mets to get good value in return, so they are hoping that it might be more of a seller's market by then. And his point about injuries isn't wrong when you look at our last few seasons.

Catcher and pen arm are the priorities imo.

Reaction Score
I was really bummed that the Lucroy deal fell apart, that really would have been perfect for us.

A few more bullpen arms, I can grow to accept Duda and Bruce platooning at 1B, maybe?

Reaction Score
I was really bummed that the Lucroy deal fell apart, that really would have been perfect for us.

A few more bullpen arms, I can grow to accept Duda and Bruce platooning at 1B, maybe?

Duda and Bruce platooning? Aren't they both lefty hitters?

Reaction Score
Living in northeast CT and having DirecTV was amazing, NESN, YES, SNY... We bought a house just over the MA border and now no YES or SNY.. Brutal.. I got the a la carte MLB.tv package for the Mets but the picture leaves a bit to be desired, hopefully it'll be better when the real season gets going.. I guess I shouldn't complain too much, 10 years ago anything like this wouldn't be remotely possible.

Reaction Score
Duda and Bruce platooning? Aren't they both lefty hitters?

Duda is apparently having back spasms already. From what I understand (through reading about Tiger's back) is that spasms protect an injured area so the potential is pretty strong for him not be completely healthy heading into Game 1. It might not be a crazy move to get Bruce more 1B reps now in the spring, right?

Reaction Score
On the broadcast Sunday they talked about taking grounders at 1B on his off days lately..

Reaction Score
Wright should be taking grounders at 1st. He can't play a full season or throw, might as well let him just hit against lefties and play the least demanding position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom