Mets Hot Stove '21-'22 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mets Hot Stove '21-'22

Reaction Score
Kinda sad to see Thor go because I think he always liked being here and gave everything he had. That said, 21m for a guy who really hasn't pitched in quite some time seems a bit much. Tough to keep him at that price.

Does this force us to sign Stro?

Reaction Score
Apparently a done deal at $21M.

Oh well, another hole to fill.
Another hole that's filled hopefully by Stroman. And another pick at the end of the 2nd round now

Reaction Score
Ugh, have to figure that Stroman is gone as well.. Lot of holes to fill. I guess we can rebuild the farm system with all of these draft picks coming back... But... Ugh

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's an admittedly snarky source, but are you sure Cohen is any better than the Wilpons?
The Mets Finally Filled The Least Desirable Position In Baseball

Excerpt: "The rotten organizational culture that the Wilpons created and Alderson abetted has not been changed in any meaningful way under Cohen; everything that was backwards is still facing stubbornly in the wrong direction, and all of the functions and systems that had been left to starve are still not just undernourished but neglected as a matter of course and institutional preference. "

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
It's an admittedly snarky source, but are you sure Cohen is any better than the Wilpons?
The Mets Finally Filled The Least Desirable Position In Baseball

Excerpt: "The rotten organizational culture that the Wilpons created and Alderson abetted has not been changed in any meaningful way under Cohen; everything that was backwards is still facing stubbornly in the wrong direction, and all of the functions and systems that had been left to starve are still not just undernourished but neglected as a matter of course and institutional preference. "
'The sum of all this is an organization that generates gossip and anonymous recrimination and scandal, but nothing much else in terms of outcomes. It reproduces an untenable and unappealing status quo, but nothing much else; '
apparently, in nyc for some teams, championships are won and lost on page six of the ny post. is kim k pregnant again? mets fans want to know!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Now we lost Loup to the Angels too?

Wow.

Reaction Score
Happy about Loup leaving, never pay RPs off past performance. Plenty of guys out there they can sign

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Happy about Loup leaving, never pay RPs off past performance. Plenty of guys out there they can sign
Money is not the concern. They seem to be losing players and missing out on top personnel choices because of the persistent perception of the Mets as the most toxic and dysfunctional organization in baseball. I am resigned to the reality that there will no meaningful change as long as Alderson is there. He’s been asleep at the wheel and the times have passed him by.

Reaction Score
Money is not the concern. They seem to be losing players and missing out on top personnel choices because of the persistent perception of the Mets as the most toxic and dysfunctional organization in baseball. I am resigned to the reality that there will no meaningful change as long as Alderson is there. He’s been asleep at the wheel and the times have passed him by.
Syndergaard I agree with, they definitely missed out on him because they didn't have a GM. And I'm glad Sandy isn't making the decisions anymore, even if I wish he'd just retire. It's just hard for me to freak out about Aaron Loup leaving and think it's a sign of some huge organizational issue. Especially when the same freak out occurred last offseason when they signed Aaron Loup and let Justin Wilson go

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Syndergaard I agree with, they definitely missed out on him because they didn't have a GM. And I'm glad Sandy isn't making the decisions anymore, even if I wish he'd just retire. It's just hard for me to freak out about Aaron Loup leaving and think it's a sign of some huge organizational issue. Especially when the same freak out occurred last offseason when they signed Aaron Loup and let Justin Wilson go
It’s not losing Loup that is the sign. It’s the continuation of the pattern. We’re still the land of overpriced misfit toys. We get used to drive the price up and occasionally we’re lucky enough to be allowed to overpay.

There is no getting away from the fact that we went from having one of the best pitching staffs in baseball to a pretty bare cupboard in very short order, and the enduring legacy of the guy we just hired as our GM is his ineptitude at fixing that exact problem (for the team that just ate two of our remaining morsels).

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah we're going to be a mess until Alderson is gone. I still think Cohen is better than the Wilpons because it's hard to be worse, but right now other than having a ton of money, he doesn't seem much different. And we haven't seen him flex that financial muscle yet. I expect that he will, but until we actually see it I'm not going to give him credit for it.

I'm not too concerned about Loup leaving. Obviously I would've preferred to have kept him, but 2 years and $17 million is a lot and I feel like we can find a LOOGY for much cheaper for similar production (I don't expect Loup to post a sub-1.00 ERA again in 2022).

Reaction Score
I really hope we don't shell out for Matz to come back, alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll set with him..

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I really hope we don't shell out for Matz to come back, alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll set with him..
Matz is not the answer. Reeks of a desperation move.

Reaction Score
I personally would love bringing Matz back, especially since it would be as depth/5th starter

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I personally would love bringing Matz back, especially since it would be as depth/5th starter
I mean I have nothing against him and a lefty is always a nice thing to have, but I’m a bit more concerned with our 1-4 right now.

Reaction Score
I mean I have nothing against him and a lefty is always a nice thing to have, but I’m a bit more concerned with our 1-4 right now.
We need a 2 and I'll be concerned if Stroman walks. But deGrom as the 1 is great, Carrasco is a very good 3, Walker as the 4 I'm good with and Peterson/Megill/Matz or whoever is signed would be great depth for the 5th spot

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We need a 2 and I'll be concerned if Stroman walks. But deGrom as the 1 is great, Carrasco is a very good 3, Walker as the 4 I'm good with and Peterson/Megill/Matz or whoever is signed would be great depth for the 5th spot
I have no idea what to expect with Stroman, but I guess the best case scenario is that we overpay to keep him, because he won’t be giving us any discount and teams like the Angels have already set the market ridiculously high for guys with more question marks. And I‘m as leary about paying for his past performance as you were about Loup’s. Do you expect Stroman to equal last year’s numbers? If so, for how long?

I don’t even want to talk about putting our No. 1 eggs in the basket for deGrom, who hasn’t pitched since early July.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what to expect with Stroman, but I guess the best case scenario is that we overpay to keep him, because he won’t be giving us any discount and teams like the Angels have already set the market ridiculously high for guys with more question marks. And I‘m as leary about paying for his past performance as you were about Loup’s. Do you expect Stroman to equal last year’s numbers? If so, for how long?

I don’t even want to talk about putting our No. 1 eggs in the basket for deGrom, who hasn’t pitched since early July.
Absolutely, I'd give Stroman 5/$125M without a second thought. He's one of the most consistent pitchers in baseball, you know he's gonna give you 30 starts and 200 innings with a mid 3's ERA. I would expect him to keep up the same performance he's had his whole career over the next 4-5 years, of all the SPs you could give money to this offseason he's by far the safest option

Reaction Score
Loup is one of those guys who pitched himself into money he'll never be worth. For what the Angels are paying for Thor and Loup, they're never ever ever going to feel good about those moves all said and done. Same goes for Conforto. Someone's going to give him a lot of money to have him have regular 3 week slumps that he can't put a bat on a ball.

I'm okay with everything so far. No panic button here yet.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Loup is one of those guys who pitched himself into money he'll never be worth. For what the Angels are paying for Thor and Loup, they're never ever ever going to feel good about those moves all said and done. Same goes for Conforto. Someone's going to give him a lot of money to have him have regular 3 week slumps that he can't put a bat on a ball.

I'm okay with everything so far. No panic button here yet.
Except that we are the team whose fans invariably say that, and then we overpay for worse results, while our castoffs end up in the World Series more often than we do.

Reaction Score
Matz to Cardinals, actually think that's a great fit. I just didn't want him back, I don't trust him as far as I can throw him, but it appears he figured something out last year, will be good in the NL.

Reaction Score
Except that we are the team whose fans invariably say that, and then we overpay for worse results, while our castoffs end up in the World Series more often than we do.
Would you be upset if the Loup/Thor money went to Baez?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Would you be upset if the Loup/Thor money went to Baez?
No. But we still need arms either way.

I am not worried about any of these losses or misses individually. The thing that upsets me the most about Syndergaard is that I was the one who wanted to trade him two seasons ago, before his surgery, because that seemed very likely given his makeup and it would have allowed us to actually get something in return for losing him. Instead, exactly what I feared would happen happened: we paid him for two seasons in which he didn’t pitch and then he went elsewhere with us getting nothing in return.

But the pattern of having no identifiable plan, identity or strategy is what concerns me the most overall.

And Cohen’s tweeting like a petulant tween only reinforces our perception as amateurs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom