Metrics (1/18) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Metrics (1/18)

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think we are just really this bad unless the staff wants to make major personnel minutes changes. It's pretty damn obvious that our offense and defense get bogged down with Sanogo in the game. He still gets his points, but he's just so ineffective that it doesn't even matter. He doesn't pass, can't dunk, and doesn't draw fouls. Clingan is pretty good at all of those things. I would be completely in favor of letting Clingan get more minutes to develop for next season. It's not a surprise that every run we've gone on in recent games has been with Sanogo on the bench. His +/- numbers are atrocious. Newton and Alleyne are complete no shows too. They are providing us with nothing. Diarra, great on defense, bad offense. He dribbles way way way too much. And Jackson just doesn't do anything on offense. The current formula is not working anymore. And running the same rotation out there is getting to be borderline insane
I’d say Newton plays more free and aggressive when he’s in a lineup with Clingan. The best guard with Clingan seems to be Joey

Reaction Score
I’d say Newton plays more free and aggressive when he’s in a lineup with Clingan. The best guard with Clingan seems to be Joey
Because Clingan kicks the ball out which creates ball movement and defensive rotations which open up shooters. Newton benefits tremendously from DC as well.

Ain’t rocket science. We all know Sanogo makes the offense stall.

Imagine how the players feel when Sanogo touches the ball. They know 9/10 times they’re not getting it back.

Luckily, till three weeks ago, Sanogo was a reliable machine.

Shows how committed the team is to the vision.

The vision just needs to be altered

Reaction Score
If anyone (or anything) watches the games less than the AP voters, it's the spreadsheets :)

Unless we continue this historic collapse, the metrics will be kind to us as long as Alabama and ISU keep winning

Even Oregon is pushing top 50 NET

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Because Clingan kicks the ball out which creates ball movement and defensive rotations which open up shooters. Newton benefits tremendously from DC as well.

Ain’t rocket science. We all know Sanogo makes the offense stall.

Imagine how the players feel when Sanogo touches the ball. They know 9/10 times they’re not getting it back.

Luckily, till three weeks ago, Sanogo was a reliable machine.

When Clingan rolls to the basket, he puts pressure on the defense. Do they go with him for the lob or do they go with the guard to the basket?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Who are the 50 coaches who could do better?

Only 50??????????????????

Reaction Score
I think it's pretty straightforward, and would love someone who has Synergy to confirm this for me. I think we run a lot more pick and roll with Clingan in the game. Our plays and sets have been heavily scouted by Big East level staffs. They put a priority and focus on stopping them in prep. It's much harder to stop "giant, coordinated 7'2" guy running towards the basket", so it works in most games regardless of the scout quality. There's a physical element that is unstoppable without the right personnel.

When running sets, the PG isn't put in a good position necessarily. It's just dribbling in place somewhere waiting for something to happen, while (in the case of St Johns and Seton Hall) an aggressive and quick guy is hounding you. You're going to look better and have better passing lanes playing pick and roll as opposed to set plays against a good defense that has heavily scouted you, because PnR is a classic for a reason. You can't solve it, only play it well enough.

We ran a bunch of pick and pop with Sanogo early in the season (which is where he shot a majority of his 3s). I'm not sure if we've gone more away from it, or it's the same amount and I just am glossing over it because it's been less effective. Either way, as noted endlessly on this forum the last couple of days, when Sanogo is in we're mostly running plays to get him deep post position (or a Hawkins 3).

Reaction Score
If the season ended today I don't even know what the committee would do with this resume. They don't consider recency bias anymore (i.e. how did you play at end of season.)

The metrics say a 2 seed but the on court performance today is of an NIT team but they looked like a 1 seed for 2/3 of the season.
2/3 is a stretch....1/2 is more like it: 14/31 = 45%

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Our plays and sets have been heavily scouted by Big East level staffs.
This is where I am most frustrated as quite often it appears to be a one way street.

There are many stretches in the games that we've struggled in where we seem to be completely unprepared for what the opponent is throwing at us (on both ends of the court).

Reaction Score

Maybe the vision isn't being altered because the metrics say its still all good! lol Danny must follow the metrics.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
UConn needs to win this weekend, plain and simple, and get their mojo back.

The guards need to step up as they did earlier in the year

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
UConn needs to win this weekend, plain and simple, and get their mojo back.

The guards need to step up as they did earlier in the year
Not just win, win convincingly

Reaction Score
When Clingan rolls to the basket, he puts pressure on the defense. Do they go with him for the lob or do they go with the guard to the basket?
Simple but we don't use this enough. More court time for Clingan would equal more chances if we use it like in the last six minutes of the SH game. Break the draught. Our recognition of what is working is lacking. We often pull the hot hand due to minutes considerations not based on what is happening on the floor.

Reaction Score
I just want a win, nothing else matters

This team simply doesn't pass the eye test right now, the most important metric in my world
Totally agree how are they going to win a tight game in the NCAA tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom