Metric Numbers (1/12/2023)

Poe

Reaction Score
CBS sports power rankings
97052100-E745-49CD-A0A7-652707336BB1.jpeg

Reaction Score
CBS sports power rankings
View attachment 82985
Norlander's power rankings are a bit odd, he prefaces by saying My rankings are not solely about whom I think is "best." This is a weekly encapsulation of the 19 hottest, most successful and/or most interesting teams, combining team quality with win quality but also having no shame for recency bias and rewarding significant winning streaks. It's a miracle we're still in his top 19 after losing 3 of 4

UConn is clearly not 17 for the season....Bama & Iowa St are both now top 10 in NET so those neutral court wins were huge. UConn should still be firmly in top 10 come Monday if take care of business on Sunday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
And the majority of you would have had him fired prior to their Sweet 16 run last year because his NCAA tournament record was 1-5.

At some point the majority of this board will need to disassociate Calhoun's UConn and the measure of success with Hurley's UConn. Hurley is great for the program, has room to improve, but what was the expectation this season? They'd go 20-0 in the BE?
I agree that most fans will eventually move on from Calhoun. Many already have. They are now willing to accept less success and call it “great.” Hurley has so far shown himself to be a good coach. Nothing special. He will likely get us to the tournament most years. We won’t go far, but a Sweet 16 will be hailed as a great triumph.

My view is Hurley is a good coach. Nothing particularly special about him though. We could likely replace him with any one of 50 guys and have comparable results. The real test of whether UConn wants to really be a national program will come if we don’t make deep runs this year and next. If the next 2 Tounaments go like the last 2 and he is still here for 2025-26 it confirms my suspicion that UConn is bound for Indiana or Georgetown status. They come on tv and people say “they used to be…”

Reaction Score
Where are the people that were crying about our weak OOC schedule now? I'd say #6 SOS in the country is pretty damn good
No one said our OOC was bad. People said our home slate OOC was bad, which it was. A mediocre Oklahoma State team should not be the biggest draw at home

Reaction Score
I agree that most fans will eventually move on from Calhoun. Many already have. They are now willing to accept less success and call it “great.” Hurley has so far shown himself to be a good coach. Nothing special. He will likely get us to the tournament most years. We won’t go far, but a Sweet 16 will be hailed as a great triumph.

My view is Hurley is a good coach. Nothing particularly special about him though. We could likely replace him with any one of 50 guys and have comparable results. The real test of whether UConn wants to really be a national program will come if we don’t make deep runs this year and next. If the next 2 Tounaments go like the last 2 and he is still here for 2025-26 it confirms my suspicion that UConn is bound for Indiana or Georgetown status. They come on tv and people say “they used to be…”
christmas vacation gift

Reaction Score

Love Jim Calhoun, he built UConn and he is on Mt Rushmore for CBB coaches....one of the greatest of all-time.

But please remember that UConn came to prominence in the 90's when Calhoun was mostly in his 50's and he was 57 when he won his first title in 1999 at UConn and he was 72 in 2014 when he won his last title at UConn.

Dan Hurley just turned 50 so let's hold off on deciding what level of coach he is just yet please. He is very unlikely to reach the level of Jim Calhoun (who is) but there is alot of great space between good and Calhoun that Hurley can reach at UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love Jim Calhoun, he built UConn and he is on Mt Rushmore for CBB coaches....one of the greatest of all-time.

But please remember that UConn came to prominence in the 90's when Calhoun was mostly in his 50's and he was 57 when he won his first title in 1999 at UConn and he was 72 in 2014 when he won his last title at UConn.

Dan Hurley just turned 50 so let's hold off on deciding what level of coach he is just yet please. He is very unlikely to reach the level of Jim Calhoun (who is) but there is alot of great space between good and Calhoun that Hurley can reach at UConn.
ha, yes I know KO coached in 14....Calhoun was 69 in 2011 for that title. So many titles between '99 & '14 to keep straight ;)

Reaction Score
When you’re in a close game and your coach gets a T down the stretch(among a few other things), that’s a a terrible way to lose. When you make no adjustments and PC beats us convincingly without their starting PG, that’s a terrible way to lose.

They didn’t even feel competitive.

We’ve known since Nova how teams are going to play us and we haven’t adjusted. And people act like when we say this stuff it means we hate Hurley or whatever, that’s furthest from the truth. He’s improved every year since he’s been here in one area or another. It’s just that these issues end up costing us games where that we should win.
People think you hate Hurley because you are in literally every single thread making the same points over and over as nauseum.
Maybe you are belaboring the point so much that you have lost some of your objectivity.
The fact that none of these games “felt” competitive to you may be a signal of that.
Down the stretch of the Xavier game it was very tight and I don’t know how anyone could make the claim unless they are too busy trying to critique the coach.
Hurley needs to get better in game, but the way your touting Cooley who isn’t as good in many of the metrics as if he’s a god shows your grinding an axe more than making a point.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley just turned 50 so let's hold off on deciding what level of coach he is just yet please.
A minor quibble is that he'll still be 49 for the St. John's game; his birthday is Monday.

A more important issue is that you took that poster's contribution seriously, though your doing so speaks to your sense of decency, and the points you made were fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom