Messages from coaches & players upon abrupt end | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Messages from coaches & players upon abrupt end

Reaction Score
Seems like Pivec was there when Ruth Hamblin played.
Nope. Pivec followed Hamblin to Oregon State by one season. Hamblin's senior season was '15-'16. Pivec's first season with the Beavers was '16-'17.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Brand new coach, brand new system, rebuilding after losing a monster senior class... My HPU Panthers started off the season struggling mighty ... at one point they were 2-9..... but turned it around.. and won 14 of their last 18 games to finish the season 16-13 and a #3 seed in the Big South Tournament. Of all the teams that I root for.... if I would have had to put money on one to win its conference tournament... I would have put money on HPU WITHOUT question.

Reaction Score
I keep listening to interviews of coaches, players, announcers, & ADs responding to the NCAA cancellations. When I think they might interest others on this forun, I'll do a quick summary and post the interview here.

This interview by John Canzano with Ann Schatz. Ann is a women's college basketball TV announcer who was at Stonybrook to announce their American East tournament final against Maine. She describes the scene and impact when they cancelled. Then the focus on the interview turned to the Ducks as she was PAC12 Network announcer for Sabrina and the Ducks last home game against WSU. She has a great perspective on Sabrina and making sure none of the recruits coming in to Oregon are given the expectation to be the next "Sabrina". Anne has been one of my favorite announcers since being a Sports Anchor on Portland TV station back on KOIN 6 in the 90's. She's worked for the Blazers and currently Timbers/Thorns and does lots of TV play by play for women's bball and soccer. She was a college athlete at Creighton (bball & soft ball). Always a good interview and a fun announcer.

Reaction Score
This interview is with Valerie Cleary, the athletic director of Portland State. She was in Boise when the for the Big Sky tourney. She talks about the impact on other sports as well as how the women ADs across the country are getting together on Zoom to commiserate and coordinate. Still the most interesting part of the interview is how they made lemonade out of the tourney cancellation by pulling up a wedding that was to be held in May and doing it at the arena when the tourney was cancelled. It was with PSU's assistant bball coach and a former OSU soccer player who is now a academic advisor for PSU athletes. I've also attached an article describing the event for those who want more background.

Reaction Score
IThanks for sharing. Interesting comment "Junior Carter, a three-year starter, is expected to declare for the WNBA draft, but she also could return." I wonder when juniors have to declare. The old rule was a day or two after their season ended with the tourney.

Reaction Score
IThanks for sharing. Interesting comment "Junior Carter, a three-year starter, is expected to declare for the WNBA draft, but she also could return." I wonder when juniors have to declare. The old rule was a day or two after their season ended with the tourney.
I believe that early entry candidates are required to declare/register at least 10 says prior to draft day now that the NCAA season is over. Draft day continues to be listed as April 17 for the WNBA.

Reaction Score
I also liked this post from Coach Mox (Amaka Agugua-Hamilton), the first-year coach at Missouri State who was announced as MVC Coach of the Year on the same day that the MVC and NCAA tournaments were both canceled.

Missouri State didn't get to play in their conference tournament (set to begin yesterday), but they had an outstanding season, finishing 25-4 and #8 in the RPI. It's possible they might have matched their highest-ever seeding in the NCAA tournament (#5, for the 2001 eventual Final Four team with Jackie Stiles).

Coach Mox will make an impact on the women's game going forward. Saw her in action during the Preseason WNIT and became very intrigued by her sideline demeanor and how her team responds to her positive direction. I fully expect to see her at a P5 program during the next five years. Keep an eye on how she leads young women. Very inspiring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom