Messages from coaches & players upon abrupt end | The Boneyard

Messages from coaches & players upon abrupt end

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Before everyone begins transitioning to the usual off-season fare, I thought it might be nice to collect some of the messages from coaches and players after this bizarrely abrupt end to the season.

I'm hoping this thread can also serve as a makeshift way to pay tribute to teams and players who had good or great seasons, yet were denied the chance to shine on the biggest stage of their sport. This is meant to be a positive (bicker-free) thread, albeit tinged with the sadness of what might've been.

== == ==

I'm going to start with Maryland. I'm actually really fond of what Brenda Frese posted to her Instagram. She takes plenty of pummeling on this forum, but she deserves credit for the kind of season she and her team put together. In what was by far the best Big Ten in recent memory, Maryland won its last 17 games by an average margin of 24 points, and was on the verge of receiving its first #1 seed since 2015.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Brenda did a great job this year. You could see significant growth and development in all aspect of their game. I was really looking forward to what they could do in the NCAAT.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I also liked this post from Coach Mox (Amaka Agugua-Hamilton), the first-year coach at Missouri State who was announced as MVC Coach of the Year on the same day that the MVC and NCAA tournaments were both canceled.

Missouri State didn't get to play in their conference tournament (set to begin yesterday), but they had an outstanding season, finishing 25-4 and #8 in the RPI. It's possible they might have matched their highest-ever seeding in the NCAA tournament (#5, for the 2001 eventual Final Four team with Jackie Stiles).

Plebe

Reaction Score
With @DaBball 's permission (or forgiveness), I'm cross-posting an quote from Tara VanDerveer he just posted in a separate thread, as I think her words fit perfectly with the spirit on this thread:

“You have to enjoy every day you’re with your team, every day in practice,” VanDerveer said she told the team. “You can’t look forward to the NCAA tournament because look, it was taken away.”
Stanford also had a great season. They were a lock for a #2 seed and, despite battling through injuries to key players, seemed to be playing their best basketball in the Pac-12 tournament, where they had to beat two of the top 16 teams from the committee's final reveal (#15 Oregon State and #8 UCLA) just to reach the final. The one-sided loss to a juggernaut Oregon team in no way diminishes the great season they had.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Again.... Plebe read my mind
Virginia Tech was absolutely on my list of teams to recognize.

After settling for the WNIT in the previous three seasons (including a runner-up finish in 2018), the Hokies looked like a probable NCAA at-large team, if not quite a lock. Had they made it, this would've been their first NCAA tournament appearance since 2006. Freshman center Liz Kitley, in particular, opened many eyes and established herself as a player to watch in the coming years.

Kenny Brooks' squad finished 21-9 and 11-7 in the ACC.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Before everyone begins transitioning to the usual off-season fare, I thought it might be nice to collect some of the messages from coaches and players after this bizarrely abrupt end to the season.

I'm hoping this thread can also serve as a makeshift way to pay tribute to teams and players who had good or great seasons, yet were denied the chance to shine on the biggest stage of their sport. This is meant to be a positive (bicker-free) thread, albeit tinged with the sadness of what might've been.

== == ==

I'm going to start with Maryland. I'm actually really fond of what Brenda Frese posted to her Instagram. She takes plenty of pummeling on this forum, but she deserves credit for the kind of season she and her team put together. In what was by far the best Big Ten in recent memory, Maryland won its last 17 games by an average margin of 24 points, and was on the verge of receiving its first #1 seed since 2015.

Brenda did an amazing job this year. Maryland looked flat out awful to start the year and they were a powerhouse at the end. Thought she made great lineup adjustments mid season and should've been on a short list for NCOY with the turnaround job. I'm not sure why but people seem to have such a hard time giving her credit, she's an excellent coach.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Brenda did an amazing job this year. Maryland looked flat out awful to start the year and they were a powerhouse at the end. Thought she made great lineup adjustments mid season and should've been on a short list for NCOY with the turnaround job. I'm not sure why but people seem to have such a hard time giving her credit, she's an excellent coach.
She does terrible pep talks in front of the ESPN cameras! :eek: :)

Plebe

Reaction Score
Princeton had an amazing season. The only loss was in overtime at Iowa, who owns the country's second-longest home winning streak. They didn't get to play a lot of good teams in the regular season, and it would've been really fun to see them play in the NCAA tournament.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Arizona had a landmark season, ticking off one "first" after another, and they were poised to pack the McKale Center for the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament. Aari McDonald was having an AA-caliber season.

An interview with coach Adia Barnes in local media:

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Mikayla Pivec interview with John Canzano. Reactions to the decision. She also said she would come back and play at Oregon State so she could get closure if the NCAA let's her instead of being drafted by the WNBA.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Arizona had a landmark season, ticking off one "first" after another, and they were poised to pack the McKale Center for the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament. Aari McDonald was having an AA-caliber season.

An interview with coach Adia Barnes in local media:

I sort of agree, IF she decides to schedule tougher OOC for her "new normal" and not use the pathetic excuses she did this year in trying to justify why they played many poor team. If she repeats her scheduling next year, I will be openly rooting against her (and Joan Bonvicini)...and for CharlieTT.
Just sayin'...:rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

I want to say it was due to my getting the season ticket package for these Young Terps but that would be wishful thinking...or would it???:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
A school that got hit pretty hard by this decision was University of Portland, that hadn't qualified for the tourney since 1997, but made it by winning the WCC tourney, beating Gonzaga in the semis and San Diego in the finals. Here is an interview with their coach, Michael Meek.

Reaction Score
Mikayla Pivec interview with John Canzano. Reactions to the decision. She also said she would come back and play at Oregon State so she could get closure if the NCAA let's her instead of being drafted by the WNBA.

Seems like Pivec was there when Ruth Hamblin played.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom