Message to Waylon | The Boneyard

Message to Waylon

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is what an independent schedule looks like: UMass in 2016.

• Sept. 3 at Florida
  • Sept. 10 vs. UConn (Gillette)
  • Sept. 17 at Boston College
  • Sept. 24 vs. Rhode Island(Gillette)
  • Oct. 1 at Old Dominion
  • Oct. 8 at BYU
  • Oct. 29 at Appalachian State
  • Nov. 5 at Troy
  • Nov. 26 at Hawaii
It's like the homeless team the Atlantic League fields that only plays road games.

Reaction Score
Even by signing revenue-generator contracts for away games, umess will struggle to obtain commitments to play any games at home. Foxboro, perhaps as it may draw some opponent's alumni. Especially in Amherst, what's the motivation for other schools to commit to playing in Amherst? Tiny stadium, absolutely no strong sport to use as negotiations chum, etc. Simply put, not an enviable position. Help, we need to get off this aac-island!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What was the reason for UMass leaving the MAC? Were they asked to leave?

Reaction Score
I forgot that was a conference. (just like I'm sure most P5 people forget about the AAC - sigh).

Reaction Score
UMASS is a hockey school. UMASS-Amherst and UMASS-Lowell are both Hockey East programs.
Correction: UMass Lowell is indeed a hockey school, and a good program to boot. umess, not so good to typical HE perennial cellar dwellar. The school has no truly quality athletic programs for negotiations chum.

Reaction Score
Butch said:
UMass-Amherst is a basketball school. They've only made it to the NCAA tournament once in hockey.

That's scary if they are a basketball school. Their last win in an NCAA Tourney game was about 20 years ago. And last year was their first appearance in the NCAA Tournament in 16 years.

Reaction Score
Independence is not feasible for any team not named ND, and even The Domers are testing the waters of joining a conference all in. For a non P5 Team it is an existence one rung below purgatory. Being a traveling punching bag for P5 Schools is not something most kids are going to want to sign up for.

Reaction Score
That's scary if they are a basketball school. Their last win in an NCAA Tourney game was about 20 years ago. And last year was their first appearance in the NCAA Tournament in 16 years.
Yep. Their hockey program is even worse. Three coaches publicly turned them down in their recent HC search.

Reaction Score
Pretty sucky schedule. Can't imagine traveling virtually every week would be attractive to any athlete.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Hey, at least they get to end their season in Hawaii!

Reaction Score

• Sept. 3 at Florida
  • Oct. 1 at Old Dominion
  • Oct. 8 at BYU
  • Nov. 5 at Troy
  • Nov. 26 at Hawaii
It's like the homeless team the Atlantic League fields that only plays road games.

looks like a good program to be equipment managers for, lots of OT I'd wager.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

• Sept. 3 at Florida
  • Oct. 1 at Old Dominion
  • Oct. 8 at BYU
  • Nov. 5 at Troy
  • Nov. 26 at Hawaii

When remaining in the AAC is guaranteed to make all 3 revenue sports irrelevant, then you need to think outside the box. Why don't you defend remaining in the AAC? Let me see what that looks like.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When remaining in the AAC is guaranteed to make all 3 revenue sports irrelevant, then you need to think outside the box. Why don't you defend remaining in the AAC? Let me see what that looks like.

At least stick to dropping football. It's a better argument.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
At least stick to dropping football. It's a better argument.

Your favorite option is effectively dropping all sports. Finding a real home for the basketball programs and keeping football on life support seems like a great choice by comparison.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Your favorite option is effectively dropping all sports. Finding a real home for the basketball programs and keeping football on life support seems like a great choice by comparison.

I'll just refer you to the schedule I posted for UMass. That's your preferred choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom