Merrimack and Sacred Heart to MAAC | The Boneyard

Merrimack and Sacred Heart to MAAC

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Wonder if this is what gets University of New Haven into the NEC

Reaction Score
NEC isn't likely to add New Haven at this point. Even Stonehill isn't a D-I program for 3 more seasons. LeMoyne just started their 4-year transition. UNH doesn't solve any problems for 4 years.

The likely outcome is a NEC-MEAC merger. :(

NEC (6): CCSU, LIU, Le Moyne, Saint Francis, Stonehill, Wagner
MEAC (8): Coppin State, Delaware State, Howard, Morgan State, MD-Eastern Shore, Norfolk State, NC Central, SC State

Reaction Score
NEC was planning to reinstate Mens Lax after 2 years dormant, in part by grabbing some affiliates from the MAAC.
But NEC is down to 5 again, while MAAC has shored up with 8+2.

Reaction Score
NEC isn't likely to add New Haven at this point. Even Stonehill isn't a D-I program for 3 more seasons. LeMoyne just started their 4-year transition. UNH doesn't solve any problems for 4 years.

MEAC (8): Coppin State, Delaware State, Howard, Morgan State, MD-Eastern Shore, Norfolk State, NC Central, SC State
Wonder if they get creative and Merrimack & Sacred Heart stay in the NEC for football only?

Reaction Score

Interesting...Sooo...a merger of a conference of 8 historic black institutions with Catholic... Jesuit, Franciscan, Congregation of the Holy Cross operated colleges...and the Lutheran Wagner...

Reaction Score
Yeah, but if you look at academics and budget, these small colleges and HBCUs have a similar profile. Yes, initially, they look different, but under the hood (especially in athletics) they have a lot in common.

Sorry, there will be 7 remaining NEC schools (I forgot FDU).

CCSU is public and FDU and LIU are urban schools without any religious affiliation - they would be willing to play alongside HBCUs. Wagner is Lutheran founded, but is basically non-religious school. They other 3 are obviously, small, Catholic colleges.

NEC (7): CCSU, FDU, LIU, Le Moyne, Saint Francis, Stonehill, Wagner

Reaction Score
Best case scenario: CCSU somehow sneaks into America East. That would be awesome. Seems highly unlikely.

More likely that CCSU is stuck in whatever nonsense happens with the NEC, maybe a merger though the MEAC having non-HBCUs is incredibly weird to me. Maybe they just stay as a conference with no autobid for 4 years or whatever it will take.

Could also easily see this as an opportunity for CCSU leadership to drop the department down to D2 (NE10 with SCSU) or D3 (LEC with ECSU and WCSU). Though if the NEC brings up New Haven and SCSU doesn't want to make the jump with them, maybe they look at dropping to the LEC as well. An LEC with all 4 directional CSU schools is somewhat cool imo.

Reaction Score
Best case scenario: CCSU somehow sneaks into America East. That would be awesome. Seems highly unlikely.

More likely that CCSU is stuck in whatever nonsense happens with the NEC, maybe a merger though the MEAC having non-HBCUs is incredibly weird to me. Maybe they just stay as a conference with no autobid for 4 years or whatever it will take.

Could also easily see this as an opportunity for CCSU leadership to drop the department down to D2 (NE10 with SCSU) or D3 (LEC with ECSU and WCSU). Though if the NEC brings up New Haven and SCSU doesn't want to make the jump with them, maybe they look at dropping to the LEC as well. An LEC with all 4 directional CSU schools is somewhat cool imo.

Not happening

Reaction Score

MEAC has been on the verge of collapse, after some schools bolted for the SWAC and CAA, and more departures were rumored. This would be one way to keep those schools together.
And overall the MEAC is dreadful in sports. The worst FCS conferences, by far, are MEAC NEC SWAC and the non-scholarship Pioneer.
Worst MBB conferences are NEC and MEAC.
And they keep getting worse as the better schools get off the sinking ship.

Reaction Score
NEC has to tell them to get stuffed on football, right? Associate members don't help them survive
by allowing SHU and Merrimack to stay in football, it gives the NEC some added flexibility in pursuing non-football schools that might be appealing (spitballing here).

Reaction Score
NEC has to tell them to get stuffed on football, right? Associate members don't help them survive
Same type of situation as when UConn left the American. UConn: "Can we stay in the conference just for football?" Mike Aresco: "Fat chance!"

The most obvious landing spot for SHU and Merrimack football is the Patriot League (Holy Cross, Fordham, etc), which currently only has 7 teams.

Reaction Score
by allowing SHU and Merrimack to stay in football, it gives the NEC some added flexibility in pursuing non-football schools that might be appealing (spitballing here).
Rumors have been swirling for a while that the University of New Haven will join the NEC, but that presents the same dilemma that Merrimack, Stonehill and now LeMoyne have - a waiting period to be eligible for conference (2 years) and NCAA (4 years) tournaments.

Reaction Score
The NEC is , but more importantly so is CCSU. If we can't get a landing spot in America East (which I've heard right now is very, very unlikely ), we're in for a world of hurt. Makes any UConn situation seem like paradise.

Forget about football, which is an easy fix with a hybrid conference, the basketball AQ is immediately at risk.

2024-25 NEC AQ Eligible (5 Teams)
1. CCSU
2. FDU
3. LIU
4. Saint Francis (PA)
5. Wagner

2026-27 NEC AQ Eligible (6 Teams)
6. Stonehill

2027-28 NEC AQ Eligible (7 Teams)
7. Le Moyne

Even if you add New Haven (or Bently, SCSU, whoever from the NE-10) for next season, they don't become NCAA eligible until 2028-29

Reaction Score
Happy for Sacred Heart and Merrimack, but obviously, the NEC was hit hard today.

Spitballin...what about St. Thomas Aquinas to NEC?

Reaction Score
Love love for SHU. Joins QPec. Sucks that ccsu can’t get there. Love the blue devils. I hope America East takes ccsu now that Hartford stepped down. But we’ll see.

MAAC is a good spot for SHU and QPEC. I wish ccsu could get into a-10, but it needs much bigger facilities and investment. As a state school, could really prosper if it weren’t for the fact it had to share with the other three schools in CSU (and to be fair, they all have good athletic programs as well).

Reaction Score
I feel a little sorry for NEC schools joining the MEAC...

They will be at a huge disadvantage on the football field....when their drum lines participate in the traditional face off at the 50.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom