Mensah, Thompkins give Huskies options in running game (Ostrout) | The Boneyard

Mensah, Thompkins give Huskies options in running game (Ostrout)

Reaction Score
Mensah, Thompkins give Huskies options in running game

>>
It would seem UConn has more than a puncher’s chance on most offensive plays to gobble up yardage on the ground. And Mensah and Thompkins certainly don’t seem to mind sharing the workload a bit.

“It just makes the offense more effective. They (defenders) are worrying ‘Who do we have to key on?’ They can’t key on both people,” Mensah said Sunday. “The fact that we bring two to the table is going to be good.”<<

>>As much as he believes in their abilities, Edsall hasn’t been exactly pleased with either Mensah or Thompkins during recent practices.

“They have to get better,” Edsall said. “Those two guys have to continue to work hard, get better in pass protection, do the things they need to do. They have to become complete backs. Right now they’re not complete backs. And if they’re not, Donevin O’Reilly is going to sneak in there and take some snaps away from those guys.”<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

>>
It would seem UConn has more than a puncher’s chance on most offensive plays to gobble up yardage on the ground. And Mensah and Thompkins certainly don’t seem to mind sharing the workload a bit.

“It just makes the offense more effective. They (defenders) are worrying ‘Who do we have to key on?’ They can’t key on both people,” Mensah said Sunday. “The fact that we bring two to the table is going to be good.”<<

>>As much as he believes in their abilities, Edsall hasn’t been exactly pleased with either Mensah or Thompkins during recent practices.

“They have to get better,” Edsall said. “Those two guys have to continue to work hard, get better in pass protection, do the things they need to do. They have to become complete backs. Right now they’re not complete backs. And if they’re not, Donevin O’Reilly is going to sneak in there and take some snaps away from those guys.”<<
Translation - Spanos is finding ways to engineer an effective pass rush and the RBs aren’t always able to pick it up.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Translation - Spanos is finding ways to engineer an effective pass rush and the RBs aren’t always able to pick it up.
Or- if they can’t defend our awful pass rush we have no chance.

Reaction Score

>>

Maybe I'm being too literal but when he says "Who do we have to key on? They can't key on both people."; does that mean they will both be in on some downs?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Also reading in to Edsall's comment vice players' perspective. In order for Mensah and Thompkins to play together and keep defense honest, they have to pass block. If they can't pass block defense can key against both of them for a running play. Have to make defense think run or pass.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm being too literal but when he says "Who do we have to key on? They can't key on both people."; does that mean they will both be in on some downs?

THIS. IS. THE. QUESTION.

They are going to put Mensah and Thompkins in the game at the same time?

Yeah, I’m sure AAC defenses will never solve two backs. It took 3 years to cancel Navy’s offense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
On a normal team you’d think the coach threatening the starters with a D-2 transfer coming off a torn ACL would just be usual coach nonsense.

Yet O’Reilly looked better in his one spring game than Mensah ever has.

It also leads you to questions like... hey coach why are you bringing in grad transfers who aren’t capable of blocking. Does Thompkins get a 7th season where he is a complete back.

Reaction Score
It also leads you to questions like... hey coach why are you bringing in grad transfers who aren’t capable of blocking. Does Thompkins get a 7th season where he is a complete back.

How does “get better in pass protection” translate into “aren’t capable of blocking”?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How does “get better in pass protection” translate into “aren’t capable of blocking”?

Fair.

But you get what is going on. It’s 2019. Edsall is coaching a sport that no longer exists.

Who is asking backs to do anything but chip a guy they release.

Reaction Score
Can’t we wait until we are struggling in the second quarter of some game to go all negative? August is for kool aid drinkers!

I'm trying but every time I bring up something positive about what HCRE2.0 says my wife reminds me that this time last year I said "the defense was so bad with the new DC and scheme, this year it has to get better"; that takes away my thirst.

Reaction Score
I'm trying but every time I bring up something positive about what HCRE2.0 says my wife reminds me that this time last year I said "the defense was so bad with the new DC and scheme, this year it has to get better"; that takes away my thirst.
That’s where I am. Show me.

Reaction Score
On a normal team you’d think the coach threatening the starters with a D-2 transfer coming off a torn ACL would just be usual coach nonsense.

Yet O’Reilly looked better in his one spring game than Mensah ever has.

O'Reilly is the only player so far I witnessed on the roster who is a potential playmaker. Maybe Scott, decent hands but didnt get a good feel for his speed. He was supposedly fast coming in. Hoping for the new guys.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Can’t we wait until we are struggling in the second quarter of some game to go all negative? August is for kool aid drinkers!
Speaking of August, I know I was on the beach for a week, but I haven't read any A-dub content since before I left for Ocean City NJ. Doesn't look like he got formally banned. He comes up in a search.

Probably just haven't noticed...

Reaction Score
Against Wagner? Yes, absolutely expect a lot of lead blocking. That's exactly why Edsall was harping about blocking from his running backs.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We are going to pull some upsets this season. Some of the boneyard members are going to be disappointed when we win.

Reaction Score
We are going to pull some upsets this season. Some of the boneyard members are going to be disappointed when we win.
Didn't take you long to get a response from one of the haters. Lol

Reaction Score
THIS. IS. THE. QUESTION.

They are going to put Mensah and Thompkins in the game at the same time?

Yeah, I’m sure AAC defenses will never solve two backs. It took 3 years to cancel Navy’s offense.
I think he was referring to the Wagner game, not the AAC schedule.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think he was referring to the Wagner game, not the AAC schedule.

There must be a galaxy brain reason why they will run a totally different offense against a low scholarship FCS team.

Reaction Score
There must be a galaxy brain reason why they will run a totally different offense against a low scholarship FCS team.
Not totally different but different in many respects. Wagner has the worst run defense in FCS history. UConn running backs will be lead blocking each other all day behind a very good offensive line. Will Beaudry or Krajewski air it, yeah maybe, but knowing Edsall maybe not. One game at a time Whaler. Even if Wagner tries stacking the box, it's gonna be like 85-0. Only thing I'm worried about is Mensah pulling a hammie once he gets into the open field.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom