Mensah and the OL looked good last week. | The Boneyard

Mensah and the OL looked good last week.

Reaction Score
There was some pressure on the QBs in Florida but that was a pretty good defensive line and there were some clean pockets and a a chance to throw.

More impressive was Kevin Mensah. I have often posted KM goes down too easily after contact. But against UCF he ran hard, and gained many yards after the initial hit. Sometimes there were clean holes to run through and he hit them with a burst. On other occasions, he was patient and followed his blocking. IMHO, this was the best game by KM this season. A good effort against a good team. Nice to see.

Reaction Score
I think Mensah is the best back we've had since Todman. I actually think that's a sad commentary on our recruiting at that position after we had some very nice talent there for a number of years runniing. Then P ran McCombs for 3+ years for reasons I'll never understand.

Reaction Score
I think Mensah is the best back we've had since Todman. I actually think that's a sad commentary on our recruiting at that position after we had some very nice talent there for a number of years runniing. Then P ran McCombs for 3+ years for reasons I'll never understand.
He was a freshman All-American. 4th leading rusher in school history in only 3 seasons. Productuon probably decreased as the talent of OLine did also. Then came Newsome.
Edit and joe Williams became unwelcomed

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He was a freshman All-American. 4th leading rusher in school history in only 3 seasons. Productuon probably decreased as the talent of OLine did also. Then came Newsome.

He ran behind a fabulous run blocking OL his freshman year and after that his production came off. If someone on defense farted he went down.

Honestly, he had some talent, but he was grossly miss-used. At his size there was just no way he should have been used as a workhorse which was what P did. I forgot about Newsome who had a good go here, but from scrimmage I think Mensah is a better back.

Reaction Score

McCombs was a good back. He just was immature and Bob decided he wasn’t worth defending anymore.

Joe Williams was a good guy who felt he was wronged by that credit card thing. Can’t remember the story, but Williams was a terrific talent.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Any idea why we were running Mensah into the ground down 50 points Saturday?

Also, a UConn football "what if" I have is if Arkeel Newsome got to run behind some of those mid/late 00s offensive lines. I still think Brown, Dixon, and Todmann would be better but he'd be a hell of compliment.

Reaction Score

Also, a UConn football "what if" I have is if Arkeel Newsome got to run behind some of those mid/late 00s offensive lines. I still think Brown, Dixon, and Todmann would be better but he'd be a hell of compliment.
Yeah, Thomkins didn't run very well. He bounced everything outside even when there was running room between the tackles. I saw Edsall get upset with him for doing just that. So that left KM. KM got 23 of the 40 rushing attempts, the QBs ran a lot versus UCF.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
McCombs was a good back. He just was immature and Bob decided he wasn’t worth defending anymore.

Joe Williams was a good guy who felt he was wronged by that credit card thing. Can’t remember the story, but Williams was a terrific talent.

If I remember correctly, Williams went on to really tear it up at Utah. I remember saying, "Why can't we have nice things?" It seems like I have to say that A LOT...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I re-watched the game last night "Yes I am a masochist".

The turnovers, just killed UConn. It seem like they happened early and often which put UConn behind by three touchdowns right away.
Kevin Mensah yards after contact was the best I've seen since he has been here. He ran through shoulder time after time. This is what I am hoping to see the rest of the year.
Steve Krajewski showed a good deal after the quick INT he threw and then settled down the rest of the game. He looked off receivers and made the right throw most of the time. Yes he did most of this after being hit illegally and having his collar bone broke.
I like our wide receivers and think they can get even better with Ross and Brown leading the way the rest of the season.

Defense gave up three big plays. Poor tackling, and bad angles hurt on each play that went the distance. The good thing they can be worked on. The defensive backs, especially the corners still need help and UConn's best DB is Coyle, hands down.

This USF game is huge and UConn needs to win this weekend. I think they can, they just need to limit the mistakes and make some plays on both sides of the ball.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yeah, Thomkins didn't run very well. He bounced everything outside even when there was running room between the tackles. I saw Edsall get upset with him for doing just that. So that left KM. KM got 23 of the 40 rushing attempts, the QBs ran a lot versus UCF.

That seems to support my point? If we only have 2 RBs on the roster that the coach feels comfortable with...why are we running one of them into the ground when were already down 50 points.

There wasn't anyone else in uniform that could have gotten a few attempts?

Reaction Score
Thompkins cuts were questionable at best. When the outside closes off on him he ran backwards a couple times. Move him to pass catching out of the slot/backfield like a Darren sprites or Theo reddick type back. Maybe get DB some touches see how he does

Reaction Score

Mensah has overtaken McCombs for 2nd. Newsome was probably the best pass catching back, but he was terrible running the ball. Thought Zavier Scott was a good upgrade from Newsome. Too bad he was injured last year.

Reaction Score

There seemed to always be reports of him breaking huge runs during camps and the defense being wowed by his speed. Was looking forward to seeing him play. Too bad about him here.

Reaction Score

He ran behind a fabulous run blocking OL his freshman year and after that his production came off. If someone on defense farted he went down.

Honestly, he had some talent, but he was grossly miss-used. At his size there was just no way he should have been used as a workhorse which was what P did. I forgot about Newsome who had a good go here, but from scrimmage I think Mensah is a better back.
Yeah, I think the only othet running back that got some carries was Max DeLorenzo?

Reaction Score
I re-watched the game last night "Yes I am a masochist".

The turnovers, just killed UConn. It seem like they happened early and often which put UConn behind by three touchdowns right away.
Kevin Mensah yards after contact was the best I've seen since he has been here. He ran through shoulder time after time. This is what I am hoping to see the rest of the year.
Steve Krajewski showed a good deal after the quick INT he threw and then settled down the rest of the game. He looked off receivers and made the right throw most of the time. Yes he did most of this after being hit illegally and having his collar bone broke.
I like our wide receivers and think they can get even better with Ross and Brown leading the way the rest of the season.

Defense gave up three big plays. Poor tackling, and bad angles hurt on each play that went the distance. The good thing they can be worked on. The defensive backs, especially the corners still need help and UConn's best DB is Coyle, hands down.

This USF game is huge and UConn needs to win this weekend. I think they can, they just need to limit the mistakes and make some plays on both sides of the ball.
Agreed... we can beat USF.. This is a good payback opportunity from 2 seasons ago when I when we couldn't make a tackle in the open field back then.. We sat at about 15 rows up from the 30 yd line (USF side near endzone where Jazz' statue was). We made a name for that WR who now catches passes from Aaron Rogers up in Green Bay (I forget his name).. This game has to be one we circled on the calendar.. Our Offense need not make mistakes like they've been making.. Get it together early... ESPECIALLY the OL..

Reaction Score
That seems to support my point? If we only have 2 RBs on the roster that the coach feels comfortable with...why are we running one of them into the ground when were already down 50 points.

There wasn't anyone else in uniform that could have gotten a few attempts?
Dante Black is a 3 star running back out of Brookwood High School in Georgia. He is quick and explosive. I have no idea why he has not touched the field this season. If Mensah needs a rest try throwing Black in the backfield with Tompkins and see how that works.

Reaction Score
Dante Black is a 3 star running back out of Brookwood High School in Georgia. He is quick and explosive. I have no idea why he has not touched the field this season. If Mensah needs a rest try throwing Black in the backfield with Tompkins and see how that works.
I agree

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It’s because Randy is a weirdo

Reaction Score
He played a good game. He’s been generally middling at best in IMO, but you can see he needs the carries to get going. He starts slow and builds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom