Memphis | The Boneyard

Memphis

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There are hundreds of thread about realignment. Some of them are realistic, some of them are silly, some of them are pie in the sky. I can look the other way on a lot of craziness.

But if you want UConn to be in any kind of conference with the University of Memphis... you are insane.

Reaction Score
Memphis has no pro football team. If they can get their football program going, they'd be viable to consider for the future.

Reaction Score
There are hundreds of thread about realignment. Some of them are realistic, some of them are silly, some of them are pie in the sky. I can look the other way on a lot of craziness.

But if you want UConn to be in any kind of conference with the University of Memphis... you are insane.
+1 Just say No to Memphis

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
memphis:
-good recruit area/sec terrtiory like lville. ppl are hungry for college sports down there
-good mk
-fedex has $100mil to build the program. they have talked about a renovation to the libery bowl which is like 60k seats btw. actually i think they might have recently done some work there???
-they have had a couple bowl game seasons in the past 10, there not a complete dud since 1900...
-no pro football
-15k+ undergrads
-bball ready to boot

remember how quickly usf has built things up from nothing????just imagine a already small established fanbase of 15kish from bball and crapy fball for years that will follow the team/school(kind of like uconn starting out) plus an extra $$$ from fedex for the program and league to use...they are a crapy team now but a huge HUGE HUGE potential program.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Typical whaler argument. Presents an unsubstantiated opinion as a fact, and tells you that if you disagree, then you are not only wrong, but a bad human being.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Typical whaler argument. Presents an unsubstantiated opinion as a fact, and tells you that if you disagree, then you are not only wrong, but a bad human being.
Yeah.

But.

Thing is, he's not wrong.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Memphis is awful. Basketball will fade and they will again be a lousy school with nothing to add.

Reaction Score
memphis:
-good recruit area/sec terrtiory like lville. ppl are hungry for college sports down there
-good mk
-fedex has $100mil to build the program. they have talked about a renovation to the libery bowl which is like 60k seats btw. actually i think they might have recently done some work there???
-they have had a couple bowl game seasons in the past 10, there not a complete dud since 1900...
-no pro football
-15k+ undergrads
-bball ready to boot

remember how quickly usf has built things up from nothing????just imagine a already small established fanbase of 15kish from bball and crapy fball for years that will follow the team/school(kind of like uconn starting out) plus an extra $$$ from fedex for the program and league to use...they are a crapy team now but a huge HUGE HUGE potential program.

Yeah, yeah and GREAT academics too. Oh, I forgot, football has nothing to do with that.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Simple math:

U. Of Cincinnati + 2x larger stadium - pro sports competition + FedEx backing = U. Of Memphis. They'd explode on the scene within 3 years with BCS status.

Problem is, their FB has been so bad of late that adding them would jeopardize the Big East's BCS calculations. Otherwise I've got no hangups with them...

Reaction Score
Memphis has no pro football team. If they can get their football program going, they'd be viable to consider for the future.

Yes they do. It's called the University of Tennessee, Ole Miss and Arkansas.

Reaction Score
memphis:
-good mk
-no pro football
-15k+ undergrads
-bball ready to boot

If you had any personal experience with place you would delete that whole post. The place is a total Skank. It doesn't compare with Cincy or USF in any regard. Other than the fact that is Conference USA. It's a Sun Belt football school for all intensive purposes.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
If Deacon's Blues is the ultimate Rock and Roll loser song then "All the Way from Memphis" is not too far back in the pack...

Question: What could be worse than leaving The Home of the King of Rock and Roll only to find your guitars stolen on the way to the gig?

Answer: adding Memphis to the BE

Reaction Score
Yes they do. It's called the University of Tennessee, Ole Miss and Arkansas.
I am sure Memphis basketball fans run to support the basketball programs of those schools.

Reaction Score
I am sure Memphis basketball fans run to support the basketball programs of those schools.

Memphis basketball fans are Tennessee football fans. Unless they are Arkansas fans, or Ole Miss football fans.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Simple math:

U. Of Cincinnati + 2x larger stadium - pro sports competition + FedEx backing = U. Of Memphis. They'd explode on the scene within 3 years with BCS status.

Problem is, their FB has been so bad of late that adding them would jeopardize the Big East's BCS calculations. Otherwise I've got no hangups with them...

I agree on all counts. I also think that Memphis basketball will always be good.

Reaction Score
Comparing Memphis to Cincy is just a completely awful comparison. That place is so much worse than Cincy across the board it isn't even funny.

Reaction Score

Don't think you have to worry, there is no way Memphis is getting invited.

Reaction Score
I still think the Big East is being shortsighted stopping at 12. There is bound to be another raid. Go to 14 with Memphis at full membership and Temple as football only. Add Xavier as basketball only. Memphis and Xavier would make up for the basketball loss of Pitt and Cuse and I think Memphis football can regenerate in a few years.

Make these moves and you have a league that can hold up to another raid. Of course the Big East will never be proactive.

Richmond as basketball only would also be fun. Send a punch to the ACC. Richmond has great academics and a 1.6 Billion dollar endowment.

Reaction Score
If you had any personal experience with place you would delete that whole post. The place is a total Skank. It doesn't compare with Cincy or USF in any regard. Other than the fact that is Conference USA. It's a Sun Belt football school for all intensive purposes.

i've asked at least 2 or 3 times why people are so bad on Memphis and i have yet to hear a legitimate reason. other than their scumbags, pirates and thieves. they may be that, and if they are i don't want them, but give me some examples. i know calipari's a cheater, but it has to be more than that. some of you seem to have a real genuine hatred of the place which i find odd considering it's just a school.

academically it's tier 2, with acceptance of 67%. washington monthly rated it higher than UT for whatever that's worth. not exactly ivy league, but certainly within the realms of the Big East

Reaction Score
I still think the Big East is being shortsighted stopping at 12. There is bound to be another raid. Go to 14 with Memphis at full membership and Temple as football only. Add Xavier as basketball only. Memphis and Xavier would make up for the basketball loss of Pitt and Cuse and I think Memphis football can regenerate in a few years.

Make these moves and you have a league that can hold up to another raid. Of course the Big East will never be proactive.

Richmond as basketball only would also be fun. Send a punch to the ACC. Richmond has great academics and a 1.6 Billion dollar endowment.

No more non-football members. We have more than our fair share already. We need to be trying to minimize the influence that the current non-football schools have not increase it.

Reaction Score
i've asked at least 2 or 3 times why people are so bad on Memphis and i have yet to hear a legitimate reason. other than their scumbags, pirates and thieves. they may be that, and if they are i don't want them, but give me some examples. i know calipari's a cheater, but it has to be more than that. some of you seem to have a real genuine hatred of the place which i find odd considering it's just a school.

academically it's tier 2, with acceptance of 67%. washington monthly rated it higher than UT for whatever that's worth. not exactly ivy league, but certainly within the realms of the Big East

• Because their academics...no wait, we may be inviting Boise
  • Due to their lcoation not being "East"...no wait, we're looking at Colorado, Idaho, and Texas, and already have teams from Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois, and Wisconsin.
  • They don't sell out games.....no wait, SMU couldn't draw flies to a rematch of their conf. championship game from l.y.
  • They cheat... no wait, who amongst us hasn't gotten our wrists slapped for bending rules recently.
It's a fair question you ask Matt, when you look at the other schools that are being tossed around. The answer, or at least my rationale for not being interested in Memphis, has everything to do with the present state of their football program. This expansion, IMO, needs to be 100% about protecting AQ status. So for me, any teams under consideration should be on the better side of the rankings, either in this current year, or over the past 3-4 years. I agree that given the resources they could turn it around in a few years. We just don't have the luxury of a few years. I really wish Fed Ex, who supposedly has all this money to put behind Memphis, would have already started doing that and investing (similar to what's going on at UCF).

Reaction Score
I live in Tennessee. Memphis is simply an awful city. It is one of the few southern cities that losing population and not gaining any business traction. The football program is in shambles and the hoops program is no longer top tier. There is hopefully a long list of schools ahead of Memphis is the BE pecking order.

Memphis is SEC territory. The school is currently the 4th best college team in the state behind UT, Vandy and Middle Tennessee and the football fanbase is all UT, Ole Miss, and Arkansas.

There is no reason for the BE to even think about adding Memphis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom