Memphis Pre-Game Press | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Memphis Pre-Game Press

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
You're correct, Gus. It's a throwaway question and one I wouldn't expect from a seasoned reporter. Hearing it made me cringe.
And hearing it three or four times made it more cringeworthy. I think they insult the intelligence of these pretty intelligent kids when they ask these questions for which there is only one answer they can give. I also think asking them how the freshmen are doing is awkward.

Having said all that, I really enjoy listening to Crystal. She is in such a better place these days.

Reaction Score
BVa: Are you aware of closed captioning on those YouTube bits? Hover around on the lower right hand corner of the screen and you should see a CC button somewhere.
Gus---Just watched and READ the Videos---thank you so much, I loved the KIA and CD interviews. Really entertaining--to think of what I missed. Thanks..

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Funny, but if she said that she'd earn a heck of a lot of pine time.
Or worse. Might result in team punishment running. My point of course was to criticize the nature of the questioning (I know you know that). I wish they would ask something a little more open-ended to give the kids a chance to reflect and give a thoughtful and interesting answer.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Gus---Just watched and READ the Videos---thank you so much, I loved the KIA and CD interviews. Really entertaining--to think of what I missed. Thanks..
You are quite welcome, sir.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Can anyone help me on this, please?

During Kia's interview, when they were talking about the trip to Canada, she mentioned getting a text from Meg and Andra saying they liked her country and then cited something they liked about it. I could not make out what that thing was, and closed captioning didn't pick it up.

Anyone know?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Interesting thoughts on the freshman from CD. Even Stewie struggled as a freshman. Only Maya didn't. The hope is for improvement while they are off from school.

Was CD interviewed because Geno was watching Christyn or class of 2019/2020 kids?
Apparently Coach was at home with his annual flu/cold. Get well, Geno!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
They liked poutine!

I imagine a little extra running during the workouts is in order.

MAC06_CANADA_PROJECT_RICHLER_POST01.jpg

Reaction Score
Based on your question, I thought you were talking about Batouly getting the same question she had just answered.

Under the category of Things I'd Like to Hear Somebody Say:

Reporter: "Lou, how important is the conference opener?"

Lou: "Not very. It's just Memphis and I think you know we know we will win handily. In the long run of things, not very important. I'll be thinking of the ball dropping at midnight."
Ha! If only! I do feel for the reporters though- they have a job to do.
However, I wish they would ask a question and not include the answer they expect in it.
I marvel at how Geno appears to listen thoughtfully and respectfully to questions and give really good answers- the players do too.
And I love me some CD- we don't hear from her enough. I always enjoyed listening to the WTIC wrap up on the way home from the game specifically to hear her post game thoughts. She deserves the Hall of Fame!

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
However, I wish they would ask a question and not include the answer they expect in it.
I marvel at how Geno appears to listen thoughtfully and respectfully to questions and give really good answers- the players do too.
And I love me some CD- we don't hear from her enough. I always enjoyed listening to the WTIC wrap up on the way home from the game specifically to hear her post game thoughts. She deserves the Hall of Fame!
Some good points, Deb. The more thoughtful and interesting your questions, the better response you're apt to receive. Another reporter's tool--especially with recalcitrant subjects--is to begin a question with the word "Why." That usually provokes more than a canned or one-word response.

Geno is a very good interview in that he actually listens to the question and, though he's often been asked the same thing dozens of times before, tries to find a fresh or interesting way to express himself.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling that often the reporters have a good idea of what they want to write. The questions are only to get a quote that will work with that story.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Teacherdeb, you have made too many good points for me to handle. But your highlighted point is right on.

I agree that CD deserves the Hall of Fame.

Reaction Score
Can anyone help me on this, please?

During Kia's interview, when they were talking about the trip to Canada, she mentioned getting a text from Meg and Andra saying they liked her country and then cited something they liked about it. I could not make out what that thing was, and closed captioning didn't pick it up.

Anyone know?
free health care

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Clearly, but you'd think after 10 or so years doing it they'd get a little better.

True. But as my first speech coach used to tell me, “Practice does NOT make perfect...it makes permanent.”

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
They liked poutine!
And with the CC, you often have to fill in some of the nonsense that is printed with logical words. It is inexact, at best!
Thanks for "filling" me in. CC can at times be funny when they pervert the words.

Reaction Score
Then it must be the case since she is in the foxhole. When I listened to the interview, she said nothing about the post lacking physicality. Also, you said I think.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom