OT: - Memphis in Top 8 with 5 Star Player | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Memphis in Top 8 with 5 Star Player

Reaction Score
Penny is a magician. Looks like a great hire. It'll be interesting to see his in-game coaching style.

Reaction Score
There is some talk of that, but right now staff is prioritizing Bouknight over Quionones.

Any chance we could land both Bouknight and Quionnes or is it a one or the other type of thing?

Reaction Score
Any chance we could land both Bouknight and Quionnes or is it a one or the other type of thing?
Certainly a chance yes. Depends on other dominos. Right now biggest priorities are Precious, Bouknight and Cock burn and one of the PGs.

Reaction Score
Honest question: why is playing for Penny at Memphis an immediate attractive destination? He played in the NBA, so did Ollie, so did Mullen, Avery Johnson, Ewing.

Believe it or not this actually helps us in recruiting. If Memphis lands Wiseman and Jeffries which looks likely, Hurley has an easier sell to Precious, Cockburn, and others that in the AAC they will be competing against the best talent in the country.

Hurley and staff need to seal the deal on our recruits. The conference will be on a huge upswing if Memphis and UCONN are able to recruit like old.

#UCONNISCOMING

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Wiseman's AAU teammate from Team Penny. DJ Jeffries, just decommitted from UK. Evan Daniels just predicted Jeffries to Memphis.

Yea, Wiseman and Jeffries are headed to Memphis IMO which is HUGE for our conference. If Memphis becomes one of the "it" schools so do some of the bigger name schools playing against them.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Penny Hardaway Is A Real Threat in Recruiting | Kentucky Sports Radio

It’s not often that John Calipari ends up on the wrong side of a player’s recruitment, but that’s exactly what happened on Monday. That’s because at about 4:00 p.m. ET, D.J. Jeffries, one of two players who was committed to the Wildcats 2019 recruiting class, decided to decommit from the Wildcats, re-open his recruitment. It is the first time since John Calipari arrived at Kentucky that he has had a player decommit after initially committing to the Wildcats.

But this news does reiterate one thing that I’ve both written and discussed on my podcast throughout the last few weeks: After watching Penny Hardaway on the recruiting circuit the last few weeks, I truly believe that he is going to be a real force going forward on the recruiting trail. Not just with kids from Memphis or his former AAU program, but with many of the best players from all over the country.

I was blown away by Hardaway’s presence on the recruiting trail these past few weeks. And I truly believe that he could end up as a thorn in the side of the Calipari’s and Coach K’s of the world, if not an outright, equal competitor.

And to be blunt, that’s not really normal in recruiting circles, especially for a first-year head coach. I found it interesting that other first-year head coach (like Louisville’s Chris Mack and UConn’s Danny Hurley) are largely recruiting guys that they had previous relationships with dating back to their previous. Heck, even a guy like Coach K wasn’t as aggressive as Penny. As I wrote a few weeks ago, he actually got up and left the court when Wiseman arrived, a clear sign that he was unofficially waving the white flag in Wiseman’s recruitment.

But Penny, he’s going after everyone. Guys he knows. Guys he doesn’t. He doesn’t care. And I for one love that aggressiveness. I have no idea if it’ll work, but give the man credit for trying.

Pretty insane stat in the bolded part. Kentucky folks certainly think Penny is for real- at least on the recruiting trail.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom