Memphis being Memphis - again | The Boneyard

Memphis being Memphis - again

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
3 years probation for Penny shenanigans as a booster before he began coaching the team
Why does the NCAA move so slow? (except if it were UConn)
What a pitiful program
Just shut it down

Reaction Score
The IARP is proving to be just an extension of the NCAA.

What takes so long to adjudicate these cases?

Reaction Score
It takes time and serious money to marshall the required number of legal minds needed to minimize major violations................just sayin'.......................

Reaction Score
I liked him as a player, don’t really care about him as a coach, but Penny saying that coaches “don’t get too deep into eligibility issues” is absolutely ridiculous. He seems to be a dude who would be better off saying less (remember when they wanted “all the smoke?”).

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I wonder if KO was still a coach at UConn when he was punished by the NCAA if it would have been as severe.

Yes, he was a bad coach. Yes, he violated some rules too. But a 3 year show-cause is crazy compared to the slaps on the wrist other high profile coaches have received for similar or worse violations of the NCAA rules (and potentially, US law).

Reaction Score
It's my understanding that the Memphis lawyers argued that this is like the North Carolina case. There classes were available to all students and so there was no special benefit to the athletes. Penny was a well-known Memphis philanthropist during and before he became a high school coach. When he paid for James wiseman's moving expenses it was the first year of Tubby Smith's 5-year contract at Memphis. There was no indication that tubby was going to be fired in 2 years and so Penny's payment of wiseman's expenses was unconnected to Memphis or college basketball. In addition, Penny gave money to variety of different organizations and people. Getting money from penny wasn't simply about basketball. Like the North Carolina classes which weren't limited to athletes but available to all students. Hence it wasn't a violation of college rules . wanted James Wiseman on his high school team. The High School Authority in Tennessee, the tssaa, has already found that this was a violation of high school rules.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Prior to cheating no longer being cheating, Calipari or Pearl would do more in an afternoon than Penny would do in a year.

At this point, why is there even NCAA enforcement of booster activity? Boosters can do whatever they want now, can't they?

DCT

Reaction Score
I liked him as a player, don’t really care about him as a coach, but Penny saying that coaches “don’t get too deep into eligibility issues” is absolutely ridiculous. He seems to be a dude who would be better off saying less (remember when they wanted “all the smoke?”).
Wow, coaches have to take NCAA rules exam every year, I thought, head coach has responsibility for everything.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say Memphis is pitiful. I'd have to say the inconsistencies of the NCAA is pitiful.
Best take on this.

With those inconsistencies, who could blame teams from doing what they do if they know the judgement and treatment is arbitrary.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom