Memorial Day - Roll call and remembrances | The Boneyard

Memorial Day - Roll call and remembrances

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As I was working on the family genealogy, I was struck by the fact so many relatives had served and too many never returned home. Here's my homage to relatives - some are living, some are deceased, all are heroes.

Veterans and active members of the armed forces, regardless of fan affiliation, please chime in for our roll call and please accept my deepest gratitude for your service.

Anyone wishing to honor a family member or friend, please feel free to do so.

My list of relatives:

Deceased, died in battle:
  • Mortimer Benjamin, 109th Infantry, U.S. Army. Died in the Battle of Verdun, October 1918
  • Private Donald F. Ritter, Troop E, 12th Infantry Regiment, 1st Cav. Division, U.S. Army. Died at Anitpolo, Phillipines March 1945, Purple Heart
  • Andrew J. Leddy, Electrician's Mate 1st Class, U.S. Navy, died 8 Jul 1944 of injuries sustained in Normady
Deceased:
  • John J. Romanowicz, Navigator, U.S. Merchant Marines
  • Karla M. Cagianello, Cadet Nursing Corps
Living:
  • George O., U.S. Navy, invasion of Normandy
  • Phillip M., U.S. Air Force

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
CTyankee, 3d RRU, USASA, Viet-Nam, 1962...

May all those who serve stay safe.

May all those who have passed in defense of out great country rest in peace. And thank you for a job well done.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Pvt Harold Kenneth Mitchell, 590th Field Artillery Battalion, 106th Army Div. Married just days before shipping out. Killed on 21 December 1944 at the Battle of the Bulge. He was 21 years old. He is buried in the Henri Chappelle Cemetery in Liege Belgium alongside 8,346 other Americans. He fathered a son that he never knew.

PFC Carlton Ethan Mitchell, 26th Regiment of the 6th Marines. He fought in several major battles in the Pacific before falling on 11 May 1945 during the assault and crossing of the Asa Kawa River on Okinawa. He was 21 years old, unmarried and forgotten for many years. He is buried in the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (The Punchbowl) on Oahu.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
As I was working on the family genealogy, I was struck by the fact so many relatives had served and too many never returned home. Here's my homage to relatives - some are living, some are deceased, all are heroes.

Veterans and active members of the armed forces, regardless of fan affiliation, please chime in for our roll call and please accept my deepest gratitude for your service.

Anyone wishing to honor a family member or friend, please feel free to do so.

My list of relatives:

Deceased, died in battle:
  • Mortimer Benjamin, 109th Infantry, U.S. Army. Died in the Battle of Verdun, October 1918
  • Private Donald F. Ritter, Troop E, 12th Infantry Regiment, 1st Cav. Division, U.S. Army. Died at Anitpolo, Phillipines March 1945, Purple Heart
  • Andrew J. Leddy, Electrician's Mate 1st Class, U.S. Navy, died 8 Jun 1944 of injuries sustained in Normady
Deceased:
  • John J. Romanowicz, Navigator, U.S. Merchant Marines
  • Karla M. Cagianello, Cadet Nursing Corps
Living:
  • George O., U.S. Navy, invasion of Normandy
  • Phillip M., U.S. Air Force
EM1c Andrew Leddy

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My dad enrolled in the Navy in WW I and served on a battleship. Then he was recruited by the Maritime Service in WWW II. My stepfather served in the AEF in WW I before transferring into our family.

Skipping several generations and assorted conflicts, four ancestors - Watson, Biesecker, Beame and Betts - served in the Continental Army during the Revolution.

My older sister once informed me that we had ancestors "on both sides" during the Civil War. I was aghast:eek: at the thought that any kin of ours took up arms against the USA! I breathed a big sigh of relief when she assured me that "both sides" meant Paternal and Maternal, not Blue and Gray.:)

Reaction Score
Sargent Clarence G. Young Jr.National Guard
4190_1150306922383_7090018_n.jpg

Nov 8, 1942- April 9 2009
Thank you for your service Dad.​

Reaction Score
My dad enrolled in the Navy in WW I and served on a battleship. Then he was recruited by the Maritime Service in WWW II. My stepfather served in the AEF in WW I before transferring into our family.

Skipping several generations and assorted conflicts, four ancestors - Watson, Biesecker, Beame and Betts - served in the Continental Army during the Revolution.

My older sister once informed me that we had ancestors "on both sides" during the Civil War. I was aghast:eek: at the thought that any kin of ours took up arms against the USA! I breathed a big sigh of relief when she assured me that "both sides" meant Paternal and Maternal, not Blue and Gray.:)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
My father was a flight mechanic in the Navy in WWII. He was a PO2.
My father-in-law served in the Navy on a DE in WWII. He was a PO2.
My uncle was a Sgt. in Europe in WWII - survived the Battle of the Bulge.
My brother-in-law served in the Army during the end of the Vietnam era. He was a captain.
My wife's grandfather served in the Navy in WWII.

Our youngest son is serving in the Navy - a submariner - sonar tech - PO3. And yes I'm a Proud Navy Dad!

Reaction Score
Army Capt. Jason Hamill, an ex-wrestler of mine, killed in Iraq, Nov. 26, 2006!
And another ex-wrestler, Ronald Welch, was just made a General in the CT National Guard 6 months ago! He was a sniper in Iraq in 1st Gulf War!

Reaction Score
I shouldn't write intelligent stuff at 12:30am! I left out 2 dear to me people- -
Stephen Welch ( Ronald's son above) served in Afganistan!
My Uncle "Doc" Hohenstein served in the Navy during WWII, he passed just over 25 years ago!

Reaction Score
My Dad and an Uncle served in WWII in USN after enlisting in 1939. They were both at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7, 1941.
Another Uncle served in Army and was on a machine gun squad which landed at Normandy a few days after June 6, 1944.

Me: USAF 1963-1974, but I did not serve in or over Viet Nam.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

Cajun, do you know which stalag? My late father-in-law was a B-17 gunner, and was in stalag 17B, Krems, Austria.

Reaction Score
My maternal grandfather was drafted at 35 years of age and was part of the D-Day landing. Army infantry I believe. He never spoke a word about the war. Very bad memories I can only assume. Died at 94 yrs of age in 2000

Father joined Army in 1945 (18). Played Baseball and Ping Pong in Italy. Officially served during war but no action in Europe at the time.

Mother's cousin was a Lt Col USMC and was a big fish during the Tet Offensive in Vietnam. I remember seeing him interviewed from the field in Vietnam on TV as a kid.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Maternal grandfather fought in the Solomons with the Army in WWII. Two uncles served in the Air Force. Uncle by marriage was a submariner and retired with two stars. My dad served in the Navy during Korea.
I'm still in the Navy...31 years and counting. Heading out in a few days for a five month cruise to some interesting places.

Reaction Score
Reading huskyharry woke up my memory bank to my BB buddy Richard C. served 21 years in the navy as a submariner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom