Melo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Melo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You meant he used to play defense. I misunderstood. Like I said earlier, KobMe is miles ahead of Melo as a player. Doesn't mean he isn't more selfish. Hell, Phil quit the Lakers and wrote about about Kobe ' s selfishness.
He just made the team 2 years ago in 2012 (in his sixteenth season) as well as 11 of 12 years before that.

Kevin Garnett hasn't made the team since 2012. By your logic, he doesn't play defense anymore either.

His FG% is the highest it's been since 2011, so if you want to whine about him being selfish, whatever, but he's still getting it done.

Reaction Score
The fact that he leads said team in assists demolishes any assertion that he's selfish.

Eh, you should watch them play. Granted, his teammates are atrocious, but he's looking to get his first, second, third and giving it up only if he has to. He's averaging more than 22 shots a game. The Lakers' collective body language - as a Celtics fan - has been a joy to watch this year. They could not look more dysfunctional and miserable.

Kobe's all-NBA defense awards were always a bit like Jeter's Gold Gloves. I think you'd have to go back ten years or so to even call him an above-average defensive player.

Reaction Score
What do you expect him to do then

Take 20 seconds off the clock and shoot a 19 foot fadeaway that has no chance of going in while he's double-teamed. It's what he's been doing so far. It's not really a coincidence that the Lakers have been better when he's on the bench.

Reaction Score
So how do you define the play of a 12-time member of the NBA All-Defensive Team?

And it doesn't matter who else is on his team. The fact that he leads said team in assists demolishes any assertion that he's selfish. In fact, considering how few options he has on his team, the fact that he still leads in assists is pretty crazy to me.

Kobe was a good defender, but the last couple all-defensive teams he made was solely due to reputation. (the same thing will probably happen to LeBron as he ages).

I whenever somebody uses assist totals to shield somebody from accusations of selfishness, it is misguided. Assists don't tell me anything about a players motivation or commitment to playing team basketball. For instance, many have argued that Rajon Rondo - the league leader in assists - is a selfish player because of the way he unnecessarily hordes assists. Kobe racks up assists because he's a basketball genius. I guarantee you he could average 10 a game if he wanted to.

BTW, I don't even necessarily blame Kobe for going after his. This is a no-win situation for him.

Reaction Score
He just made the team 2 years ago in 2012 (in his sixteenth season) as well as 11 of 12 years before that.

Kevin Garnett hasn't made the team since 2012. By your logic, he doesn't play defense anymore either.

His FG% is the highest it's been since 2011, so if you want to whine about him being selfish, whatever, but he's still getting it done.

he shoot 45% for his career. I wouldn't brag about his fg%. Again, his own coach called him the most uncoachable player he had ever seen also the most selfish which was the point being made. Don't argue with me, call the dude with 12 rings.

Reaction Score
If you put Melo on the Lakers instead of Kobe they still win the 3 titles with Shaq. They didn't need much at that point. Everyone always talks about the 5 rings, but really only 2 of them were truly Kobe's. The other 3 were Shaq's. Any competent wing player at the time could have filled the void there. The East sucked in those years.

Reaction Score
That being said… Melo still hasn't done anything in the NBA and probably won't if he is the centerpiece of a team, whereas Kobe has gotten it done twice.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think you're going to want to check this again. Kobe's FG% is well under 40% this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom