2025 Recruiting: - Meleek Thomas is set to begin his official visit to UConn and Dan Hurley today (Merged Threads) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Meleek Thomas is set to begin his official visit to UConn and Dan Hurley today (Merged Threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So you can add a name to your dictionary and then it won't autocorrect to the wrong spelling? Hmmm. Maybe we can do an automatic autocorrect for Tristen on the Boneyard. We'll call it our final gift to him for the 2 championships. :)
From the land of unexpected consequences. Our Tarris Reed is from St Louis MO. The #72 prospect in 2026 is 6'8 210lb forward Tristan Reed from St Louis MO. Tristen deserves his name spelled correctly but ....

Reaction Score
1996, 1994, and 2006 in that order were the darkest times of being a fan IMO. At least we had won two titles by 2006.
2006 was an outstanding team underperforming in a single elimination after the program had established itself. While we have been blessed that that hasn’t happened to us much, it happens to every other established program all the time because it happens everywhere in single elimination tournaments.

That doesn’t mean the drive home from DC wasn’t beyond painful that day — it was — but it was an already established program suffering a really bad loss. Nothing like ‘94 and ‘96 (and, frankly, ‘96 doesn’t compare to ‘94 when we lost with a national POY candidate who had gone 20 for 20 from the line a month earlier couldn’t hit 1 out of 2 to move us to the Regional Final).

Reaction Score
2006 was an outstanding team underperforming in a single elimination after the program had established itself. While we have been blessed that that hasn’t happened to us much, it happens to every other established program all the time because it happens everywhere in single elimination tournaments.

That doesn’t mean the drive home from DC wasn’t beyond painful that day — it was — but it was an already established program suffering a really bad loss. Nothing like ‘94 and ‘96 (and, frankly, ‘96 doesn’t compare to ‘94 when we lost with a national POY candidate who had gone 20 for 20 from the line a month earlier couldn’t hit 1 out of 2 to move us to the Regional Final).
100%

Reaction Score

‘96 was the worst pain I’ve ever felt as a sports fan. I legit thought we wouldn’t ever make the final four after that, let alone win the title.

‘94 was a massive gut-punch. But ‘96, coming at the end of the best 3-year run in Big East history, felt like we were cursed.

Reaction Score
‘96 was the worst pain I’ve ever felt as a sports fan. I legit thought we wouldn’t ever make the final four after that, let alone win the title.

‘94 was a massive gut-punch. But ‘96, coming at the end of the best 3-year run in Big East history, felt like we were cursed.
Those were the two lowest points in the program’s history.

Reaction Score

49-5 over a 3 year period in the Big East (when the Big East was LOADED) and not making a Final Four.....yes, at that point it kinda did feel like we were never gonna do it

Reaction Score
49-5 over a 3 year period in the Big East (when the Big East was LOADED) and not making a Final Four.....yes, at that point it kinda did feel like we were never gonna do it
Plus the draw in UConn’s region parted like the Red Sea in 1994. I believe that was the year BC upset UNC. And UConn could not take advantage of it. 1996 also hurt so much because the Final Four was in the Meadowlands.

caw

Reaction Score
That ‘96 Kentucky team gets a ton of love as one of the greatest college teams of all time. How would we have matched up with them?
They were deeper. IIRC they started Delk/Anderson/Walker/McCarty and Epps.

They would have trouble with Clingan and UConns backcourt.

Their bench was pretty sick with Turner/Sheppard/Pope/Mercer but not much frontcourt depth. Though they did have a freshman Mohammed on the bench also.

They would have had to run and gun to have a chance and press like crazy. Not sure their press would have been terribly effective with UConns height and ability to basically pass over it though. In the end it would depend on if they could get Creighton like hot from three.

Reaction Score
They were deeper. IIRC they started Delk/Anderson/Walker/McCarty and Epps.

They would have trouble with Clingan and UConns backcourt.

Their bench was pretty sick with Turner/Sheppard/Pope/Mercer but not much frontcourt depth. Though they did have a freshman Mohammed on the bench also.

They would have had to run and gun to have a chance and press like crazy. Not sure their press would have been terribly effective with UConns height and ability to basically pass over it though. In the end it would depend on if they could get Creighton like hot from three.
Following the posts here I'm assuming he was talking about how UConn's 1996 team would have matched up with Kentucky's 1996 team if the Huskies had gotten to the Final Four that year.

Reaction Score
Following the posts here I'm assuming he was talking about how UConn's 1996 team would have matched up with Kentucky's 1996 team if the Huskies had gotten to the Final Four that year.
Yeah this was right, although I’m not adverse to discussing how our ‘24 team matches up too haha - still should have been more clear.

Being shy of 30, I have no personal memories of any pre-2000 UConn teams, so I’d be intrigued to hear if people think we’d be able to have played with such a lauded team the way many (including myself) feel we’d have been able to hang with Carolina in ‘09 had Dyson been healthy.

Reaction Score
Yeah this was right, although I’m not adverse to discussing how our ‘24 team matches up too haha - still should have been more clear.

Being shy of 30, I have no personal memories of any pre-2000 UConn teams, so I’d be intrigued to hear if people think we’d be able to have played with such a lauded team the way many (including myself) feel we’d have been able to hang with Carolina in ‘09 had Dyson been healthy.
The ‘96 team outside of center was disgustingly loaded. Travis Knight was okay and a good college player. But if that team had a Clingan, Okafor, or Sanogo type at Center, it might not have lost a game. I thought it was talented enough to win it that year but Kentucky would have been an epic test and game.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

We are the only team who could’ve beaten Kentucky in 96, just like we were the only team who could’ve beaten UNC in 09.

I think this is correct…but I also think we’re underdogs in both, and deservedly so.

But we could have beaten either of those teams, 96 and 09. Heck, throw in 06.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom