Melanie Moore will no longer coach Xavier | The Boneyard

Melanie Moore will no longer coach Xavier

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Xavier was 7-23 (0-23) this year and finished at the bottom of the conference standings. While I'm wishing Moore all the best going forward, I think the program would benefit from a new young up-and-coming assistant coach looking for the opportunity to infuse some energy, enthusiasm, and passion into it. This an excellent opportunity for a young assistant coach to build up this program from 7-23 to plus .500 respectability in 3-4 years before moving on to greener pastures. Xavier's last win came against Cincinnati on Dec 9, 2022.

Other head coaches leaving their posts:

Minnesota: Lindsay Whalen /

Pepperdine: Kristen Dowling /

Pittsburgh: Lance White /

TCU: Raegan Pebley /

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The key will be finding a successful mid major coach who will bring her/ his players to make the team instantly competitive.
There IS such a coach out there. All the Xavier AD has to do is find her/him. :cool: They must hire a replacement very soon so that the new coach (and staff) can begin to work the portal. They cannot afford to drag their feet on hiring a replacement.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I posted this in the general forum thread about coaching changes:

I'm old enough to remember when Xavier was good at women's basketball. I saw Melanie Balcomb's name earlier in this thread. She became Xavier's head coach in 1995 when Xavier was part of the A10. In 1998-1999 her Xavier team made the NCAA tournament and almost (should have) upset UConn at Gampel in the 2nd round. The Huskies made a ferocious comeback to win on Tamika Williams's free throws in the waning seconds of the game. Xavier's Nikki Kremer was really good. In 2001, also under Coach Balcomb, Xavier upset Tennessee in the Sweet 16 but then lost to Purdue in the Elite 8.

McGuff took over beginning in the 2002 season (Balcomb moved on to Vanderbilt). He led Xavier to the Elite 8 in 2009-2010 before suffering a heartbreaking loss to Stanford when Dee Dee Jernigan missed 2 wide open layups in the waning seconds of a tie game. McGuff left Xavier for Washington after the 2010-11 season.

Since then, Xavier has been coached by Amy Waugh, Brian Neal and Melanie Moore.

Butler made a very good hire last year; it's past-time for Xavier to do the same.

Reaction Score
Sue Bird should coach Xavier.. think of the future recruits that would love to learn from the great Sue Bird.

Reaction Score
How about that coach from Princeton, she would make a great addition to the Big East.

Reaction Score
Lance White was Tom Selleck's character on 2 episodes of the Rockford Files when he was still little known, which helped him land the lead on Magnum P.I.

Reaction Score
I posted this in the general forum thread about coaching changes:

I'm old enough to remember when Xavier was good at women's basketball. I saw Melanie Balcomb's name earlier in this thread. She became Xavier's head coach in 1995 when Xavier was part of the A10. In 1998-1999 her Xavier team made the NCAA tournament and almost (should have) upset UConn at Gampel in the 2nd round. The Huskies made a ferocious comeback to win on Tamika Williams's free throws in the waning seconds of the game. Xavier's Nikki Kremer was really good. In 2001, also under Coach Balcomb, Xavier upset Tennessee in the Sweet 16 but then lost to Purdue in the Elite 8.

McGuff took over beginning in the 2002 season (Balcomb moved on to Vanderbilt). He led Xavier to the Elite 8 in 2009-2010 before suffering a heartbreaking loss to Stanford when Dee Dee Jernigan missed 2 wide open layups in the waning seconds of a tie game. McGuff left Xavier for Washington after the 2010-11 season.

Since then, Xavier has been coached by Amy Waugh, Brian Neal and Melanie Moore.

Butler made a very good hire last year; it's past-time for Xavier to do the same.
Agree with you on the Butler hire Parkinson. He will have them competitive
before you know it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom