Megan: why I chose UCONN | The Boneyard

Megan: why I chose UCONN

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The Megan Walker blog: Here's why I chose Connecticut...
Almost a Longhorn!
"It was right there, neck-and-neck between Texas and UConn. It was the toughest decision I’ve ever had to make."

"I talked with my parents, I talked with my trainer, and just all the people who know me best when I was trying to decide. Then I kind of sat by myself and thought about what things were most important—life after basketball. What school is going to set me up for that? Who are the people and the tools at the school that can help me succeed? The final say was, ‘what school will put me in the best position for life after basketball?’

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Megan Walker blog: Here's why I chose Connecticut...
Almost a Longhorn!
"It was right there, neck-and-neck between Texas and UConn. It was the toughest decision I’ve ever had to make."

"I talked with my parents, I talked with my trainer, and just all the people who know me best when I was trying to decide. Then I kind of sat by myself and thought about what things were most important—life after basketball. What school is going to set me up for that? Who are the people and the tools at the school that can help me succeed? The final say was, ‘what school will put me in the best position for life after basketball?’
A thoughtful and mature response

Reaction Score
Thanks for the link. As a bonus there's also a link in the Megan Walker article about Evina Westbrook's decision to pick Tennessee.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I looked at Megan's bio page, and it doesn't say what she's majoring in. But in most fields, I'd say UT is a better school than UConn. Maybe she's talking about other than academically?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I looked at Megan's bio page, and it doesn't say what she's majoring in. But in most fields, I'd say UT is a better school than UConn. Maybe she's talking about other than academically?

Nay Nay @Bigboote on academics Tenn vs UConn. Tenn 52nd best public institution, UConn 22 (tie). US News annual survey.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In the latest U.S. News rankings, Texas is #49, and UConn is #63. Only a modest difference.

Reaction Score
UT better than New England schools (Uconn)????? Hmm.

Reaction Score
Wonder when top recruits will realize Texas isn’t the place to be if you want to be developed and if they need an example they should look at Joyner Holmes or look at the number of players they have in the WNBA.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wonder when top recruits will realize Texas isn’t the place to be if you want to be developed and if they need an example they should look at Joyner Holmes or look at the number of players they have in the WNBA.

It's amazing how she can recruit em, but Aston fails in elevating their games. Call it "the Holly effect."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
In the latest U.S. News rankings, Texas is #49, and UConn is #63. Only a modest difference.

Meh -- they have Penn State and Rutgers above UConn, too, which I'd disagree with.

I know as well as anyone that what you get out of an education is mostly dependent on what you put into it. The best school is the one that you like and where you click with the faculty well enough that you're willing to put in the most effort. I should have added that to my original post; my bad on that.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
UT better than New England schools (Uconn)????? Hmm.

Texas invested a ton of money in their higher-education system during the oil boom in the 80's. At one point, I think Austin had close to as many Nobel-prize winners as the top Ivies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Texas invested a ton of money in their higher-education system during the oil boom in the 80's. At one point, I think Austin had close to as many Nobel-prize winners as the top Ivies.

can they draw up plays? :rolleyes:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Sorry Big guy, but no. Not even close. You can count the good schools in the SEC on one hand.

Reaction Score
Young lady has to do what's best for her. Glad that she picked our beloved University of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Not surprising especially if you consider the difference in the endowments. Texas is up there with Yale at about 26.5 billion (Harvard #1 with 36 billion) and UConn has an endowment of 448 million. With all that money you can certainly upgrade facilities and attract top faculty.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Meh -- they have Penn State and Rutgers above UConn, too, which I'd disagree with.

I know as well as anyone that what you get out of an education is mostly dependent on what you put into it. The best school is the one that you like and where you click with the faculty well enough that you're willing to put in the most effort. I should have added that to my original post; my bad on that.
The state reduced funding to UConn. State funding is a component of the USNWR ranking system, I believe. This dropped our rank a bit. Prior to that we were ranked above RU. Penn State is a decent school. I'd expect UConn to be ranked somewhere in the vicinity with them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom