Megan Walker: Now That's What I'm Talkin About! | The Boneyard

Megan Walker: Now That's What I'm Talkin About!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am amazed at the range and depth of knowledge of many BY’ers regarding HS recruits from coast to coast. My knowledge of recruits is far more limited, usually confined to just those top recruits on UConn’s radar, typically commencing during their junior year of HS. But there is one exception. Five years ago, when I lived in Chesterfield, VA, a neighbor who knew how much I loved UConn WBB, invited me to attend a game at his daughter’s HS to watch a kid I’d never heard of before. Megan Walker was just a freshman, but she took over the game that night, and I became a huge fan, hoping that she would find her way to Storrs one day.

Through her sophomore year at Monacan HS, I watched Megan play on 4 or 5 occasions. She had a “Jordanesque” quality to ease into a game and turn it on whenever her team needed her. She was a streak shooter at times, but her greatest strength has always been the ability to drive to the basket like a freight train and rebound relentlessly. My wife and I moved to upstate NY after Megan’s sophomore year, but I continued to follow her career as best as I could. Needless to say, I was delighted when she decided to become a Husky.

Even great players can take time to reach their potential, and as we all know, UConn is not for everyone. While Megan’s freshman year at UConn was uneven at best, what I always knew about her was that she was a fierce competitor who would not give up. Lead by Megan, Monacan won 3 state championships. In her senior year, with Monacan down in the 4th qtr of the championship game, Megan took over the game scoring 18 pts in the qtr while leading the team to yet another championship. Megan's future coach was at the game. After the game Geno, ever the coach, told Megan that, “if you can play like that in the 4th qtr, you can play like that in the 1st qtr too.”

Patience is a virtue, but not necessarily here on the BY. Many here questioned whether Megan was overrated in HS. Some even believed she would pack up and leave. While I was thrilled with Megan’s performance yesterday, I always knew it was just a matter of time. When Geno was asked to explain Megan’s performance last night, he gave an unusually succinct answer, “Hard work.” Megan deserves a great deal of credit for the enormous effort she’s put in. We’ve all seen the video of Megan working with Pheesa over the summer.

We shouldn’t expect Megan to score 30 pts every game from now on. She might even have a bad game or two. But I do expect Megan to continue her upward trajectory to eventually become yet another UConn AA. I was delighted to see Megan burst into a series of big, beautiful smiles yesterday. While her smiles have been few and far between at UConn, in HS she smiled all the time as she was dominating one opponent after another. As I watched Megan put the finishing touches on a brilliant 34 pt, 10 rb performance yesterday, one thought jumped into my head: “Now that’s what I’m talkin about!”

Reaction Score
While I didn't see her play in high school, from the clips I did see I believed she had enormous potential. I've been waiting patiently. I think she's definitely beginning to unleash it. She's not the new kid on the block any longer and she's gaining confidence rapidly. I do believe this was the start of something BIG! :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was always miffed (silently) during this year that before this game, there was significant BY angst about Megan's shooting style (no arc etc) and ability. I actually thought before this game, she was a good shooter. Her misses were not wild and she always had good form and confidence. Even before this game, she was a 38% 3pt shooter. This game was just a natural culmination of her progression

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was always miffed (silently) during this year that before this game, there was significant BY angst about Megan's shooting style (no arc etc) and ability. I actually thought before this game, she was a good shooter. Her misses were not wild and she always had good form and confidence. Even before this game, she was a 38% 3pt shooter. This game was just a natural culmination of her progression
A few weeks back I posted a comment that it was clear to me that Megan was working hard on being a more consistent shooter. At that time her release was all over the place. Sometimes her shot would come off flat. Sometimes she would short-arm her shot. But sometimes her shot was a thing of beauty.

Last night, on both mid-range and long-range shots, Megan’s release was beautifully consistent. I don’t know exactly who’s been working with Megan on her release, but it appears that she’s just about got it down.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Some kids take longer to blooom. There’s nothing “wrong” with them, regardless of what some of our pundits have posted (ad infinitum), they just need more time to develop. Meg is hopefully coming into her time although I don’t expect the same performance every game or even next game. But I hope last night will give her confidence to keep pushing herself to where she’d like to be.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Megan put in a lot of hard work over the summer and her physical transformation has been impressive. One thing I've noticed is that she doesn't have much spin on her shots. If the ball goes in cleanly she'll make her shot, but less so if she hits the rim. Assuming that observation is correct, she doesn't have a whole lot of margin and if she is second guessing herself, even for a instant, she'll have a tough shooting night. Hopefully last night gives her confidence in her abilities. Teams have been laying off of her all season long. A confident, scoring Meg, makes us a much better team. Not only do we get the much needed points, but it makes it costly for her defender to sag off of her and play help defense.

Reaction Score
A few weeks back I posted a comment that it was clear to me that Megan was working hard on being a more consistent shooter. At that time her release was all over the place. Sometimes her shot would come off flat. Sometimes she would short-arm her shot. But sometimes her shot was a thing of beauty.

Last night, on both mid-range and long-range shots, Megan’s release was beautifully consistent. I don’t know exactly who’s been working with Megan on her release, but it appears that she’s just about got it down.
Nice perfect arc on the foul shots too last night......clearly put some work in.

Add in the aggressiveness alone and its a team changer.

Everything was different - body language screamed confidence - banged inside, put it on the floor,drew fouls, shot the jumpers

The bigger picture ----With her now --- This is a totally different team that has to be defensed against.

This team would have beaten Baylor IMHO. She will make Pheesa's game much much easier, again IMO.

Less of a load for Lou too.

And a whole lotta pressure just got lifted off CW as well I would think.

Criticize this as an overstatement --- but if she's gonna bring it now ---this is a seismic event for the upper echelon of WBB.

I am sure Muffet, Vic, Kim, Jeff & all the usual suspects are ALL aware of this by now.

Geno's got a month to get it all worked out.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Megan put in a lot of hard work over the summer and her physical transformation has been impressive. One thing I've noticed is that she doesn't have much spin on her shots. If the ball goes in cleanly she'll make her shot, but less so if she hits the rim. Assuming that observation is correct, she doesn't have a whole lot of margin and if she is second guessing her self, even for a instant she'll have a tough shooting night. Hopefully last night gives her confidence in her abilities. Teams have been laying off of her all season long. A confident, scoring Meg, makes us a much better team. Not only do we get the much needed points, but it makes it costly for her defender to sag off of her and play help defense.
I made a post a week or two back where I stated concern over her release. Her hand has been too far behind the ball and when she shoots that way her hand does not flick below the ball. (Think shot-put) Shooting like that typically yields a flatter non-spinning shot, which is what she's been doing. Usually that results in a more inconsistent distance control, and reduced margin of error due to the flat trajectory and a harder bouncing shot if it touches rim. The best shooters get that release below the ball resulting in what I term a "low energy ball" One that seems to die on the rim.

Last night her release was improved although not at optimum yet. The more she relaxes the better chances of having that good release. If anything, her good results may help her relax a bit more.

So, the short version is I'm pretty much agreeing with you. :)

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
While I didn't see her play in high school, from the clips I did see I believed she had enormous potential. I've been waiting patiently. I think she's definitely beginning to unleash it. She's not the new kid on the block any longer and she's gaining confidence rapidly. I do believe this was the start of something BIG! :)

Reaction Score

Sometimes the simplest approach works. If you take a coordinated kid with reasonably good form and tell them to shoot AT the front rim, the shot will come out flat with a low release point. Then you tell them to shoot OVER the front rim, most will change their motion naturally and make a higher release with a good arc. I know several kids who've become excellent shooters this way.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I am amazed at the range and depth of knowledge of many BY’ers regarding HS recruits from coast to coast. My knowledge of recruits is far more limited, usually confined to just those top recruits on UConn’s radar, typically commencing during their junior year of HS. But there is one exception. Five years ago, when I lived in Chesterfield, VA, a neighbor who knew how much I loved UConn WBB, invited me to attend a game at his daughter’s HS to watch a kid I’d never heard of before. Megan Walker was just a freshman, but she took over the game that night, and I became a huge fan, hoping that she would find her way to Storrs one day.

Through her sophomore year at Monacan HS, I watched Megan play on 4 or 5 occasions. She had a “Jordanesque” quality to ease into a game and turn it on whenever her team needed her. She was a streak shooter at times, but her greatest strength has always been the ability to drive to the basket like a freight train and rebound relentlessly. My wife and I moved to upstate NY after Megan’s sophomore year, but I continued to follow her career as best as I could. Needless to say, I was delighted when she decided to become a Husky.

Even great players can take time to reach their potential, and as we all know, UConn is not for everyone. While Megan’s freshman year at UConn was uneven at best, what I always knew about her was that she was a fierce competitor who would not give up. Lead by Megan, Monacan won 3 state championships. In her senior year, with Monacan down in the 4th qtr of the championship game, Megan took over the game scoring 18 pts in the qtr while leading the team to yet another championship. Megan's future coach was at the game. After the game Geno, ever the coach, told Megan that, “if you can play like that in the 4th qtr, you can play like that in the 1st qtr too.”

Patience is a virtue, but not necessarily here on the BY. Many here questioned whether Megan was overrated in HS. Some even believed she would pack up and leave. While I was thrilled with Megan’s performance yesterday, I always knew it was just a matter of time. When Geno was asked to explain Megan’s performance last night, he gave an unusually succinct answer, “Hard work.” Megan deserves a great deal of credit for the enormous effort she’s put in. We’ve all seen the video of Megan working with Pheesa over the summer.

We shouldn’t expect Megan to score 30 pts every game from now on. She might even have a bad game or two. But I do expect Megan to continue her upward trajectory to eventually become yet another UConn AA. I was delighted to see Megan burst into a series of big, beautiful smiles yesterday. While her smiles have been few and far between at UConn, in HS she smiled all the time as she was dominating one opponent after another. As I watched Megan put the finishing touches on a brilliant 34 pt, 10 rb performance yesterday, one thought jumped into my head: “Now that’s what I’m talkin about!”

As usual, an excellent post OD! Anyone that knows basketball recognizes that Megan was in a zone last night. Zones are like “luck”. You can’t plan on it, you can’t summon it, you can’t control it. But when it appears, you know it, and should just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Megan did as evidenced by her smiling throughout the 2nd half. Needless to say, we all hope that Megan will continue to play with the confidence and resolve she did last night.

Kudos to Crystal. She recognized that Megan was hot and made sure she kept getting the ball.

Reaction Score
I made a post a week or two back where I stated concern over her release. Her hand has been too far behind the ball and when she shoots that way her hand does not flick below the ball. (Think shot-put) Shooting like that typically yields a flatter non-spinning shot, which is what she's been doing. Usually that results in a more inconsistent distance control, and reduced margin of error due to the flat trajectory and a harder bouncing shot if it touches rim. The best shooters get that release below the ball resulting in what I term a "low energy ball" One that seems to die on the rim.

Last night her release was improved although not at optimum yet. The more she relaxes the better chances of having that good release. If anything, her good results may help her relax a bit more.

So, the short version is I'm pretty much agreeing with you. :)
Good points. A lot of it is in the legs. The more you use the legs in the shot, the little bit higher and softer the shot will be. Watch KLS. When she has time on 3s to use her legs she's deadly. On her pull ups off the dribble, when closely covered she'll hurry just a little with no legs and her shot comes out flat. Especially when tired, it'll effect everyone.

Reaction Score

We shouldn’t expect Megan to score 30 pts every game from now on. She might even have a bad game or two. But I do expect Megan to continue her upward trajectory to eventually become yet another UConn AA. I was delighted to see Megan burst into a series of big, beautiful smiles yesterday. t all the time as she was dominating one opponent after another. As I watched Megan put the finishing touches on a brilliant 34 pt, 10 rb performance yesterday, one thought jumped into my head: “Now that’s what I’m talkin about!”
Me too, that's what I have been talking about!! No she won't do 34 points from here on out, that's to be expected---I'm willing to settle for ONLY 20/game.

Reaction Score
As usual, an excellent post OD! Anyone that knows basketball recognizes that Megan was in a zone last night. Zones are like “luck”. You can’t plan on it, you can’t summon it, you can’t control it. But when it appears, you know it, and should just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Megan did as evidenced by her smiling throughout the 2nd half. Needless to say, we all hope that Megan will continue to play with the confidence and resolve she did last night.

Kudos to Crystal. She recognized that Megan was hot and made sure she kept getting the ball.
My coach spoke of feeding the "hot" shooter. That is what Uconn did, they fed Megan Geno and Scoop knows there are those games when, as a player, you just know every shot will go (Zone??).
I expect more of these from Megan and CW--that is what happens when you have supreme talent--you go into a "Zone". Name the Big names of Uconn and each found that Zone when needed. Uconn needed that "Zone' against the Green Wave. Against ND a Zone was also needed.

Reaction Score

The high lighted sentence above: When a player is changing their shooting form from game to game or within a game--Confidence within themselves is waning and they are questioning what they always knew how to do. Once they gain the confidence and are true to themselves--they shoot as Megan did last night. Hopefully, no one will mess with her mind or shooting style. It works.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some kids take longer to blooom. There’s nothing “wrong” with them, regardless of what some of our pundits have posted (ad infinitum), they just need more time to develop. Meg is hopefully coming into her time although I don’t expect the same performance every game or even next game. But I hope last night will give her confidence to keep pushing herself to where she’d like to be.

Nan, every poster needs to read and embrace your comment. I couldn’t agree more. This approach should be taken with Christyn and ONO.

I’ve read comments chastising them for playing like freshmen, duh. Both of them will blossom in their own time. The incubation period cannot be rushed. Christyn has hit the freshman wall. This is just about the same time in the season that Stewie hit her’s.

It’s a rite of passage. Something that most freshmen go through. Especially those that start. She’ll get through it. Christyn and ONO are going to help win a lot of BIG games for us (Notre Dame type games) before they graduate.

We just have to wait and be patient and support them until then. The good thing is, we get to witness it when it happens, and it will happen. Notice how long it took Crystal to understand and “get” Geno’s system. Sometimes we forget what Geno says every year, that is that it takes most freshmen a full year to fully and completely understand and “get” his system.

Every player has duties and responsibilities on both ends of the court. Recently when Geno has pulled Christyn out of a game, it’s because she’s not doing something she is expected to do. This fault can be on either end of the court.

There is no substitute for experience. Christyn and ONO are gaining that experience with every game they play.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nan, every poster needs to read your comment. I couldn’t agree more. This approach should be taken with Christyn and ONO.

I’ve read comments chastising them for playing like freshman, duh. Both of them will blossom in their own time. The incubation period cannot be rushed. Christyn has hit the freshman wall. This is just about the same time in the season that Stewie hit her’s.

It’s a rite of passage. Something that most freshmen go through. Especially those that start. She’ll get through it. Christyn and ONO are going to help win a lot of BIG games for us (Notre Dame type games) before they graduate.

We just have to wait and be patient and support them until then. The good thing is, we get to witness it when it happens, and it will happen. Notice how long it took Crystal to understand and “get” Geno’s system.

There is no substitute for experience. Christyn and ONO are gaining that experience with every game they play.
One of the great things about Geno & his staff is that he almost always has his team firing on all cylinders come tournament time. Last year was an exception due to injuries that primarily impacted Lou & Crystal’s ability to practice with the team.

While we’re seeing some inconsistency from the Huskies right now, we’ve also seen every starter take over games. We’ve also seen really nice efforts from Liv, Kyla and Molly off the bench. Barring injury, I expect the Huskies to be awfully tough when March rolls around.

Reaction Score
That team would have beaten Baylor. It was a brain fart night, that's all. Geno has said as much and that he is surprised there haven't been more over the last 4 years.
Obviously I disagree.

I think you have to put Geno's quotes together----he's the biggest sandbagger in the history of sandbagging when he thinks he needs to be----he has complained that the offense wasn't working more than anything.

Baylor dismantled the offense. That is a fact. It was more than just a bad shooting night. My feeling is that to say anything else is a disrespect to Baylor.

Sure, if they shot better UConn would have won. Hey, it always better to be lucky than good, but it wouldn't have been by design.

Mulkey shut down Phessa and Lou, and took the passing lanes away from Crystal.

My simpleton view is that when 1 or 2 are off its a bad shooting night. But when its everyone, and they're shooting because they have no other option, or they're off their spot, or the shot is altered because of the pressure-----its all the defense.

More often than not they shot because they couldn't do anything else, like most of Crystal's shots. The shooters didn't have any other option than to shoot.

Now they have to account for Walker ---inside and outside-- that's the game changer.

Why do you think Geno was smiling so much after that game ?

last night was a bad shooting night ---- totally different than the Baylor shooting performance

All IMHO

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Obviously I disagree.

I think you have to put Geno's quotes together----he's the biggest sandbagger in the history of sandbagging when he thinks he needs to be----he has complained that the offense wasn't working more than anything.

Baylor dismantled the offense. That is a fact. It was more than just a bad shooting night. My feeling is that to say anything else is a disrespect to Baylor.

Sure, if they shot better UConn would have won. Hey, it always better to be lucky than good, but it wouldn't have been by design.

My simpleton view is that when 1 or 2 are off its a bad shooting night. But when its everyone, and they're shooting because they have no other option, or they're off their spot, or the shot is altered because of the pressure-----its all the defense.

More often than not they shot because they couldn't do anything else, like most of Crystal's shots. The shooters didn't have any other option than to shoot.

Now they have to account for Walker ---inside and outside-- that's the game changer.

last night was a bad shooting night ---- totally different than the Baylor shooting performance

All IMHO

I guess I'm suppose to say something in reply or retort .... cogently argued, I disagree.

Reaction Score
Obviously I disagree.

All IMHO
Exactly. Baylor gave everybody the blueprint and now it's just a matter of having the athletes to get up on them and execute.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom