Megan Walker & Gabby Williams sign with Sopron Basket (Hungary) | The Boneyard

Megan Walker & Gabby Williams sign with Sopron Basket (Hungary)

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

F997015E-A5A8-41FD-A013-089C02381577.jpeg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to both. Megan can learn TONS from Gabby with regards to playing as an undersized post player. I realize both should be on the wing, or as guards, but it would not surprise me to see both play as 4's in the pros. Of course Megan can step out and drain the 3, but Gabby was amazing at scoring in the post against bigger players, as well as being a tremendous passer.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

.....and so the journey begins. Here's hoping for a fun, rewarding and very profitable experience for you Megan. Enjoy your first overseas foray into professional women's basketball. Having Gabby and Briann January (Connecticut Sun - 11 year pro) there with you will make things much easier. You'll learn all of the nuances about the pro game much faster from them instead of day-by-day. They will help smooth out all the bumps ahead for you. Make lots of money, enjoy the ambiance and return to us safe and healthy at season's end. :)

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Congrats to both. Megan can learn TONS from Gabby with regards to playing as an undersized post player. I realize both should be on the wing, or as guards, but it would not surprise me to see both play as 4's in the pros. Of course Megan can step out and drain the 3, but Gabby was amazing at scoring in the post against bigger players, as well as being a tremendous passer.

It’ll be interesting to see them back on the court together again.

I’m actually kind of surprised that Gabby left France!

Reaction Score
How cool for Megan. Her first season overseas and she gets to play with someone she knows well on and off the court. That must really, really help players.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Gabby has not been playing as an undersized post in France. From this highlights video she looks to be playing a guard or small forward spot. I saw this a little while ago and the development of her offensive game was a real pleasure to see. Early on it is all lay up but wait for it!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Gabby has not been playing as an undersized post in France. From this highlights video she looks to be playing a guard or small forward spot. I saw this a little while ago and the development of her offensive game was a real pleasure to see. Early on it is all lay up but wait for it!

I miss Gabby. :( Nice to see her doing well overseas, and that her game is evolving. :) I was surprised to lean in the last article I saw on her that she speaks fluent French, and has for some time.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to both Megan and Gabby! It will be interesting to see their comments on each other. Megan got a lot better in the past 2 years, since Gabby left. So did Gabby, based on some good instructors, including Kobe.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

The first half of the video is vintage Gabby--just a killer off the bounce, using her quickness and vertical. In the second half, she makes her old teammate Lou proud in her ability to hit jumpers from all over. Remember that Gabby missed most of 2 years of high school, so she is still developing her game.

Reaction Score

Woowie zowie

Reaction Score
Gabby.....wow....looking for 3 pointers, putting them up without hesitation, shooting some off balance mid range shots, and she certainly hasn't lost any of that aggressiveness in driving to the basket....love it. :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
How cool for Megan. Her first season overseas and she gets to play with someone she knows well on and off the court. That must really, really help players.

Yeah. A lot easier than being in a foreign country (who’s language you’re not familiar with), on a team than maybe only one other player speaks English (if you’re lucky).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

For what it's worth that's where Chicago is planning to play her once the WNBA starts playing.

Now that Chicago added Hebard and Stevens at forward and Colson at point guard, she can play on the wing in a more natural position. And the idea is that Europe has helped her develop the shooting ability to succeed at that spot.

If she can shoot 35% from 3, she can be an excellent player in the W. She does so many other things well that she just needs to shoot well enough to make you guard her behind the arc.

A little surprised she is venturing out of France but I suspect Sopron is offering a raise. I think they are usually among the top tier of the Euroleague, moreso than any of the French squads.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth that's where Chicago is planning to play her once the WNBA starts playing.

Now that Chicago added Hebard and Stevens at forward and Colson at point guard, she can play on the wing in a more natural position. And the idea is that Europe has helped her develop the shooting ability to succeed at that spot.

If she can shoot 35% from 3, she can be an excellent player in the W. She does so many other things well that she just needs to shoot well enough to make you guard her behind the arc.

A little surprised she is venturing out of France but I suspect Sopron is offering a raise. I think they are usually among the top tier of the Euroleague, moreso than any of the French squads.
It’ll be interesting to see them back on the court together again.

I’m actually kind of surprised that Gabby left France!

One factor to consider is that the new WNBA CBA is increasing penalties for players showing up late. France has a consistent track record of being one of the first leagues to start and one of the last weeks to end. Last season, Sami Whitcomb played in Game 5 of the Finals there and flew to Seattle right after to make the opening game less than 24 hours later. Alysha Clark also made that flight even though she did not play in the WNBA game so that she could make the ring ceremony. If the virus had not happened and Gabby ended up playing to the last game of the French finals, she would have missed around a quarter of the WNBA season.

Reaction Score

Damn Gabby has improved in all parts of her game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom