Megan Walker first time back to Storrs | The Boneyard

Megan Walker first time back to Storrs

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Interesting article about Megan including the fact she is working to finish her degree

Megan Walker, who is still working towards her UConn degree, makes her first return to Connecticut since leaving for the WNBA - Hartford Courant

And Geno had a little time to meet his chickadees

The former Huskies got to see Geno Auriemma briefly at Mohegan Sun Saturday, Taurasi said.

“That was fun for him to be able to see all of us,” Taurasi said. “We kind of each represent a different era of Huskies basketball but it all ties us together. We kind of all share stories about nights at [on-campus bar] Ted’s, which is probably the most important thing when you become a UConn Husky.”

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In tonight's game against the Sun, which I attended in person, Megan played quite well. According to the box score, she played 16 minutes (I thought it was more) and scored 8 points, going 3-for-7 from the field and 1-for-5 from 3-point range. She played excellent defense against Dawanna Bonner, frustrating her on one play so she had to give up the ball after making several fruitless moves. On another play, she drew a foul from Bonner while she (Megan) was in the act of shooting.

I don't recall her playing such effective defense at UConn, although she wasn't bad after her freshman year. Apparently she learned a lot in her overseas season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Megatron is on the right path. She's close to receiving her degree and improving her game from the W in season 1 to Hungary to the W in season 2.

Reaction Score
Not quite sure how the logistics would work, but it will be nice to see Megan’s name added to the HOH at Gampel once she completes her degree requirements.
I’m a bit confused. Most of the recent players were added to the wall while they were still students and by definition had NOT a graduated. It doesn’t seem that there could actually be a degree requirement. There is no way the will wait four years to add Paige.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m a bit confused. Most of the recent players were added to the wall while they were still students and by definition had NOT a graduated. It doesn’t seem that there could actually be a degree requirement. There is no way the will wait four years to add Paige.
That’s what I thought, but another poster mentioned that Megan’s name would not be added until she graduated. It has not currently been added which either means that Geno expects her to complete her degree first or perhaps the premature ending of the 2020 season due to the pandemic, and Megan subsequently turning pro, made it impossible to schedule a suitable date to honor Megan in front of UConn fans.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
That’s what I thought, but another poster mentioned that Megan’s name would not be added until she graduated. It has not currently been added which either means that Geno expects her to complete her degree first or perhaps the premature ending of the 2020 season due to the pandemic, and Megan subsequently turning pro, made it impossible to schedule a suitable date to honor Megan in front of UConn fans.
I'm sure that if Megan completes her degree this year she will be invited back for a halftime public presentation of the honor. She was one of my favorite players and I was very disappointed when she opted out of her senior year. Of course it would be contingent on her overseas schedule, but she deserves the chance to be here in person to receive it in front of her many fans. Ironically, if she did play last year there were no fans that would have witnessed the presentation in person anyway.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
There are probably so many facets to this topic. DT was told she couldn't come back to campus until she earned her degree, which she did. The wall was created after many of the players had graduated. Megan may have left the 2nd semester early when she declared for the draft, so not only did she not graduate, she may not have finished her junior year before leaving. If she was named an AA after she left? Who knows. Perhaps Geno is waiting until Gampel can be "full" of fans to raise her number so it's a better experience for her. The fact that she's taking two courses at a time and is only a few credits short of a degree is amazing, considering students typically take 15 credits per semester (120 to graduate).

Reaction Score
There are probably so many facets to this topic. DT was told she couldn't come back to campus until she earned her degree, which she did. The wall was created after many of the players had graduated. Megan may have left the 2nd semester early when she declared for the draft, so not only did she not graduate, she may not have finished her junior year before leaving. If she was named an AA after she left? Who knows. Perhaps Geno is waiting until Gampel can be "full" of fans to raise her number so it's a better experience for her. The fact that she's taking two courses at a time and is only a few credits short of a degree is amazing, considering students typically take 15 credits per semester (120 to graduate).
Don't overlook the fact that they take at lease 1, probably 2, courses every summer. That takes some load off of them for the fall / spring semesters. If they take a full load during those semesters, then the credits start to pile up.

Reaction Score
Interesting article about Megan including the fact she is working to finish her degree

Megan Walker, who is still working towards her UConn degree, makes her first return to Connecticut since leaving for the WNBA - Hartford Courant

And Geno had a little time to meet his chickadees

The former Huskies got to see Geno Auriemma briefly at Mohegan Sun Saturday, Taurasi said.

“That was fun for him to be able to see all of us,” Taurasi said. “We kind of each represent a different era of Huskies basketball but it all ties us together. We kind of all share stories about nights at [on-campus bar] Ted’s, which is probably the most important thing when you become a UConn Husky.”
I think last year was a disaster scenario for MEgan when she got Covid. AS a result, NY never saw her potential or what she could become and she was quickly traded. In the long run, I think NY will regret this trade because Megan can do three things really well.

Shoot 3's
Rebound well for a guard
Pass

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul