Megan Walker dunking ... well trying | The Boneyard

Megan Walker dunking ... well trying

Reaction Score
Now there is a waste of time. And speaking of dunking, there's a story online that basically says that a UConn recruit an dunk and the other teams should be afraid. I really, truly hope this does not become a part of the UConn game beyond perhaps a novelty dunk or two. It will change the team's strategy and will lead to a change across WCBB ver time -- and not a change that will help. In addition, and I think Geno knows this, focusing on dunking causes the player to rely on the dunk instead of other, more team-oriented pursuits. Better she practice successfully making layups, the supposedly easy shot that so many women seem to miss.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Put together a petition demanding the NCAA create a rule for women's college basketball which awards one point for a dunk. Keep two points or a layup which must require far more skill than a dunk considering how hard it is for most women players to successfully make a layup. Such a rule will cause coaches to instruct players not to dunk unless it is in garbage time. :)

Reaction Score
I never got the impression that Geno has a philosophical aversion to the dunk, "ruining the sanctity of the game" or any similar idea.

I think Geno doesn't like dunks because they're low percentage shots for women. Griner the only exception I've ever seen. If they were high percentage shots for women, you had better believe he'd encourage them. :cool:

I feel the same way. It's just a different type of shot. It doesn't preclude teamwork (flying alley oops should dismiss that notion). It simply doesn't work in the women's game because they can't jump high enough.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I never got the impression that Geno has a philosophical aversion to the dunk, "ruining the sanctity of the game" or any similar idea.

I think Geno doesn't like dunks because they're low percentage shots for women. Griner the only exception I've ever seen. If they were high percentage shots for women, you had better believe he'd encourage them. :cool:

I feel the same way. It's just a different type of shot. It doesn't preclude teamwork (flying alley oops should dismiss that notion). It simply doesn't work in the women's game because they can't jump high enough.

While I can't recall an exact citation, somewhere along the way, Geno said he didn't mind the idea of his players dunking the ball IF THEY COULD. But he said that if one of his Huskies tried it, they had better not miss it.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Wow, is there still time to rescind Ms. Nelson-Ododa's commitment? I prefer a successful dunk to two unsuccessful layups. From a novice fan's perspective, a dunk gives a better chance than a layup of avoiding blocks. As to potential injury, excessive dunking may have a more deleterious effect on women's joints, but a hard foul on a layup may have a better potential for injuring the head and neck.

Reaction Score
Wow, is there still time to rescind Ms. Nelson-Ododa's commitment? I prefer a successful dunk to two unsuccessful layups. From a novice fan's perspective, a dunk gives a better chance than a layup of avoiding blocks. As to potential injury, excessive dunking may have a more deleterious effect on women's joints, but a hard foul on a layup may have a better potential for injuring the head and neck.
So work on the layups and get them right. There are so many reasons not to dunk during a game:
1. If you make it, you rile up the other team, whose players feel they've been shown up. May not matter in a typical UConn game, where the margin is high, but in a close game can motivate the opponent;
2, I you miss it, you've embarrassed yourself and if you miss it at a time in the game when it counts you will be guaranteed to be accused of grandstanding at a time when your team needed the sure basket that a layup should bring. This would not be an accusation in the men's game, but it certainly would be in the women's.
3. If you take it when your team is far ahead, you will be (rightly) accused of piling on.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
1. If you make it, you rile up the other team, whose players feel they've been shown up. May not matter in a typical UConn game, where the margin is high, but in a close game can motivate the opponent;
It would probably rile up/motivate your own team even more. Did you see the reaction to ONO's dunk?

2, I you miss it, you've embarrassed yourself and if you miss it at a time in the game when it counts you will be guaranteed to be accused of grandstanding at a time when your team needed the sure basket that a layup should bring. This would not be an accusation in the men's game, but it certainly would be in the women's.
If you miss an easier lay-up, that should be more embarrassing. Might as well be embarrassed attempting something more difficult.

3. If you take it when your team is far ahead, you will be (rightly) accused of piling on.
Definitely.

You should only be dunking if you know you can do it. Shouldn't really be a "try it". If you can do it consistently in practice, then sure, if the opportunity presents itself, do it in a game. But, again, make sure you can do it.

Reaction Score
The dunk could also have an intimidation effect, especially in the women's game. The ONO dunks seemed very natural to her - no extra effort. Could be a regular part of her game.

Reaction Score
Geno was encouraging of Stewie to dunk in the game. Geno likes anything that attracts attention to the game.

I really like this video: thanks! It shows Meg at her best: explosive and aggressive. That's what she's shown in flashes this year, and I'm completely confident that she will put it all together very soon.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I can't recall an exact citation, somewhere along the way, Geno said he didn't mind the idea of his players dunking the ball IF THEY COULD. But he said that if one of his Huskies tried it, they had better not miss it.
That was largely directed at Stewie who never had the courage to attempt a dunk during a game, potentially miss it and then have to face Geno.

Reaction Score
That was largely directed at Stewie who never had the courage to attempt a dunk during a game, potentially miss it and then have to face Geno.
Stewie's attempted dunk vs SMU

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Stewie's attempted dunk vs SMU

Thanks for the video. I note UConn was up 45 at the time, and after Stewie missed she caught some grief from Mo and Geno took her out of the game. I wonder what he had to say to her?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the video. I note UConn was up 45 at the time, and after Stewie missed she caught some grief from Mo and Geno took her out of the game. I wonder what he had to say to her?
UConn Hall of Fame coach Geno Auriemma said Stewart “put on a nice show for the fans.”

“She was proud of herself,” Auriemma said. “She was happy with herself. Usually when she misses a layup or something, she tries to avoid eye contact for the next couple of possessions because she knows that I can’t stand that. She misses a layup, but (after) this one, she made sure to look over and held (eye) contact with me all the way up the floor. I thought she was going to trip over somebody. I wanted to call a timeout and say, ‘get over yourself.’”

The reality is Auriemma and all of his staff members were smiling just as much as Stewart for the next several moments.

Jefferson, Stewart lead way in Texas stomp of SMU

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Not sure why people don't like dunking in women's basketball. Sure, the dunks aren't as impressive as men who do it, but it draws attention to the sport and can be a great way to fire up your team. I think for the players who have consistently finished dunks in games (Michelle Snow, Candace Parker, and Brittney Griner...maybe there are others), dunking added a great boost of energy and excitement to the game. Teammates got all riled up and overall it had a positive impact for their team and the sport. I can't recall Griner or Snow ever missing a dunk in college. Parker missed 1-2 late in games that weren't close. For those 3, it was a high percentage shot.

Individually, a lot of players set a goal to dunk a basketball, even if it's just by themselves on an empty court. It's an athletic accomplishment and something to be proud of, especially as a woman where fewer players are able to dunk.

In regards to injuries...has there ever been a documented case of a women's basketball player who has obtained an injury while dunking?

If ONO throws one down in a game next year, I guarantee 90% of the anti-dunk people on here will be celebrating it and enjoy the publicity and attention the dunk receives, as the fanbase should. I wouldn't be surprised if ONO dunks multiple times over her career. The throwdowns at Jamfest were impressive.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Did you see the at the rim view of Ono's dunk. She had 3/4 of her fore arm over the rim. That is an easy dunk as opposed to getting your wrist over the rim. Let her play to her level and enjoy it

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, exactly. In fact, he once guaranteed Stewie would dunk in a game. She had a couple chances but, unfortunately, chose not to dunk.

Gabby could probably dunk and I’d love to see it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If you can he consistent with it, a dunk could be more reliable than a layup.
I wish AS could dunk. Maybe she can, but sometimes she missed layups short and flat footed. Geno is definitely not against dunking on principle. He’s said so. Rare female who can elevate over the rim.

Reaction Score
She gets an "A" for effort, but an "F" for execution.
Practice this in practice, not the game.
On the other hand, I love Meg Walker and hope during the off season she works on her quickness. I think she will eventually become an awesome player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom