Megan Walker - 25 minutes, 19 points, looked good. A redwood is emerging from the seedling. | The Boneyard

Megan Walker - 25 minutes, 19 points, looked good. A redwood is emerging from the seedling.

Reaction Score
I am fully confident, that by next December, the latest, Geno will be lavishing the same praise, or at least, nearly the same praise as he did this year on the unbelievable progress of Crystal Dangerfield. Megan Walker was never suppose to be a star this year. Yes, like many great UCONN players, her freshman year is a work in progress. However, next year is the real start of her career at UCONN. And with the cast that will surround her - it is going to be fun to watch a team with three number one picks and Z playing together.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I am fully confident, that by next December, the latest, Geno will be lavishing the same praise, or at least, nearly the same praise as he did this year on the unbelievable progress of Crystal Dangerfield. Megan Walker was never suppose to be a star this year. Yes, like many great UCONN players, her freshman year is a work in progress. However, next year is the real start of her career at UCONN. And with the cast that will surround her - it is going to be fun to watch a team with three number one picks and Z playing together.

Geno had to be pleased with a lot of things he saw today. Her performance had to be one of them. :cool:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Speaking of freshmen who have been bench players and occasional doghouse dwellers this year, did everyone notice that Mikayla Coombs was on the UConn bench in street clothes cheering for the team? I didn’t notice that until I watched the replay. I wonder if she will travel to Albany and even Columbus.

Reaction Score
Speaking of freshmen who have been bench players and occasional doghouse dwellers this year, did everyone notice that Mikayla Coombs was on the UConn bench in street clothes cheering for the team? I didn’t notice that until I watched the replay. I wonder if she will travel to Albany and even Columbus.

Coombs is injured with DVT and out for rest of season. I would assume she will be in Albany and Columbus unless her condition prevents it.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She got a taste of the future when she will be running things on the court and taking charge.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Coombs is injured with DVT and out for rest of season. I would assume she will be in Albany and Columbus unless her condition prevents it.

She may not be permitted, at this stage of the drug treatment, to fly, so she could do land but she's like one of older types here with sttting too long, no matter the mode of transportation. I wonder if they've installed a filter?

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Megan played amazing today. She looked like she was comfortable out there. Megan was having fun, and not thinking as much.

Reaction Score
You may well be right but this also maybe some wishful thinking.
Let's see her put in all the work needed to make it happen and then give her all the props she deserves.
Yes she had a excellent game but it was against St Francis of Pa and they played right into MW and the U Conn teams hands.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Hoping Megan can build off of this. She certainly looked like a player who could be used to give a rest to Gabby or Pheesa should they get worn down against a big team or in foul trouble.
Most important, this game helped her confidence a lot, and maybe in the confidence Geno and CD have in putting her in off the bench first or second. If that happens this team goes up several notches in strength.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
<<She was only two rebounds shy of a double double.>>

I forgot to mention that mostly all of her rebounds this year were of the "that's my ball" type rather than the typical "look what I found" type. She works for her boards, in other words.

Reaction Score
Megan Walker is a future All American.
When she gets in a game with the starters, she defers to them and is not aggressive on the offensive end. Her "bad" games were when she went 0-2 from the field, didn't have her hands up on defense, or didn't call out a screen. In other words, people were very picky about were so called mistakes.
She is a cutter and slasher with the ball and that style needs to be worked into the passing UConn offense.
Most, if not all her issues, seemed to result of not meeting expectations in practice, which no one outside the program was in a position to comment on. It was not the result of poor play in games.

Reaction Score
I will just point out that flying is something one does not do with this condition.

However, Columbus is reachable by car, etc.

Reaction Score
I will just point out that flying is something one does not do with this condition.

However, Columbus is reachable by car, etc.

I thought the issue is more sitting in one place and not moving around. I would assume that's less of an issue on a charter flight.

Reaction Score
I just don't understand how carried away most posters in the thread have gotten because MW had a very good game against a #16 seed that was beaten by 88 points.
While hopefully this improves her confidence, and makes her less likely to defer when she plays with the first team, it will truly indicate something when she does it in 3-4 consecutive games against better competition.
She was the top player in HS last year, so shouldn't she be much better than everyone on St Francis' team. We knew that already.
Crowning her a leader on the floor and an AA next year, I'm sorry to say is a bit grandiose.
I don't doubt she has an enormous amount of potential. When I see her having a performance resembling this against SC possibly in an elite 8 game or in the final four I will gladly eat crow, until then I will crow against these over reactions.
Bronx23

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Redwoods take way to long to grow up. She would need 1000 years of eligibility.

How about a pine tree?

Redwoods are like weeds and can easily grow from nothing to 10ft in a year. They are one of the fastest growing trees on the planet. I have a lot of them in the yard, so keeping them under control requires a chain saw to prevent them from spreading, blocking all the light, clogging all external drains and damaging the house.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately no carryover from Sat. I dont think MW came in until the 4th and she had a TO, an airball, .... Was hoping shed be able to continue to build confidence.
:(

Reaction Score
Unfortunately no carryover from Sat. I dont think MW came in until the 4th and she had a TO, an airball, .... Was hoping shed be able to continue to build confidence.
:(

Funny how she is forced to contribute playing most mins with Kyla, Molly, Camara, and Lexi.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Funny how she is forced to contribute playing most mins with Kyla, Molly, Camara, and Lexi.

That's a good point.

I know Geno's resume is impeccable and all that. I've seen a number of coaches across the country put up with some mistakes from Fr. players early in the year and now some of them are very big contributors for their teams. Kiana Williams from Stanford is one in particular that really stands out. She was a train wreck at the beginning of the season, now she's a stud and might even be their best player.

Reaction Score
Yeah I thought she was good with the starters. Played her role. If I had something to say I would have liked some leadership when she was left on the floor with the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom