Megan speaks | The Boneyard

Megan speaks

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
“Some ups and downs, but it's been positive,” Walker said of her freshman experience. “He's a great coach. He knows I have that potential. Everything he does, there's a reason for it. … I definitely think it's been a fair process, just going back to what I said: everything he does, there’s a purpose.”

UConn's Megan Walker On Her Freshman Season: 'A Fair Process'

She sounds a lot like Tina after her freshman year. I love this kid and will root hard for her to become the best player she can be.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
“Some ups and downs, but it's been positive,” Walker said of her freshman experience. “He's a great coach. He knows I have that potential. Everything he does, there's a reason for it. … I definitely think it's been a fair process, just going back to what I said: everything he does, there’s a purpose.”

What she says sounds a lot like Tina after her freshman year. I love this kid and will root hard for her to become the best player she can be.
Thank you for this eye opener. My heart has ached for this young lady all season. Every time she goes into a game I want her to excel. Geno knows she has "it" and is trying to get "it" to blossom. This article relieves some of my angst. She apparently is accepting of Geno's coaching style and willing to earn his trust. I believe that her potential is limitless, if she applies herself and it sounds like she is willing to work hard.

Reaction Score

She sounds a lot like Tina after her freshman year. I love this kid and will root hard for her to become the best player she can be.

This makes me (in a way that would conform to The Rules) very relieved.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Another important quote in the article showing her mindset.

Walker said the most important takeaways from the season have been that she needs to improve defensively and have a consistent approach and effort.

“You have to compete just as hard as everybody on the team — Kia, Gabby, Lou, everybody,” she said. “You have to think harder than ever and really focus in on what the task is.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The article references the Tulane game a few weeks back, when Megan & Mikayla never got off the bench. The BY was beside itself. At that time, I commented that MW & Mikayla knew exactly why they didn’t play. This article confirmed my opinion, at least as far as MW is concerned.

Geno and his staff are constantly communicating with the players. In addition, the veteran players serve as a tremendous support staff. As MW, Mikayla, Lexi, and even AEH go through their freshman struggles at UConn, all they have to do is talk to Gabby, Lou, Crystal and the rest of their teammates to understand that UConn is not a destination. It’s a journey.

Reaction Score
It sounds like the reporter reads the Boneyard:rolleyes::

"The public might see Walker produce in short segments and question Auriemma’s decision to keep riding her and sitting her. Or they might see her struggle and question Auriemma’s decision not to allow her to play through more mistakes.

That’s not how it works.

A player has to be succeeding at high levels in various areas — the film room, the classroom, the weight room, during practices. It’s been hard for Walker to string it all together, so her first season at UConn has become more about learning hard lessons than contributing to easy victories.

Why wouldn’t Auriemma change his approach? Because the program is built on expectations across the board. And if he was to let one player, a top recruit like Walker, be satisfied with mediocrity or rewarded while striving for anything less than perfection, well, the whole recipe goes out the window. A program is more about its process than its body of work, and that process — and, in turn, the program — would be negatively impacted."

Reaction Score
The article references the Tulane game a few weeks back, when Megan & Mikayla never got off the bench. The BY was beside itself. At that time, I commented that MW & Mikayla knew exactly why they didn’t play. This article confirmed my opinion, at least as far as MW is concerned.

Geno and his staff are constantly communicating with the players. In addition, the veteran players serve as a tremendous support staff. As MW, Mikayla, Lexi, and even AEH go through their freshman struggles at UConn, all they have to do is talk to Gabby, Lou, Crystal and the rest of their teammates to understand that UConn is not a destination. It’s a journey.

I was beside myself not because I wanted them to get another chance to play but rather because injured starters were sacrificed in order to prove a point..................

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
It sounds like the reporter reads the Boneyard:rolleyes::

"The public might see Walker produce in short segments and question Auriemma’s decision to keep riding her and sitting her. Or they might see her struggle and question Auriemma’s decision not to allow her to play through more mistakes.

That’s not how it works.

A player has to be succeeding at high levels in various areas — the film room, the classroom, the weight room, during practices. It’s been hard for Walker to string it all together, so her first season at UConn has become more about learning hard lessons than contributing to easy victories.

Why wouldn’t Auriemma change his approach? Because the program is built on expectations across the board. And if he was to let one player, a top recruit like Walker, be satisfied with mediocrity or rewarded while striving for anything less than perfection, well, the whole recipe goes out the window. A program is more about its process than its body of work, and that process — and, in turn, the program — would be negatively impacted."

That was my first thought as well after reading that passage. Made me smile.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A fair number of us worry QUIETLY. Of course, what Megan is saying is old hat about "the Program" and she might not be genuine in expressing it, but I highly doubt that. Freshman year is a shock, but I think she's been weathering it well and with some composure and dignity,

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
They all read the Boneyard, including the national press.

Family, friends, and former coaches of the current, future, and potential players read the 'yard, too.

Oh, dear!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Meg has been positive all season, except for the game at Tulane. I don’t know what she and Mikayla did, but it got them benched. Penalty served, Meg played some decent minutes after that. I watched her closely in the Cincy replay, and thought she was very good. In 2 years, she’ll be the star talking about the struggles of the 2019 recruits and referencing how Lou helped her years before.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Oh, dear!
Oh, dear is right! We will all have to elevate our efforts and put our best foot forward. An audience is an awesome responsibility. Go Huskies and Go Boneyard! And Go Megan ,to get back in focus.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Meg has been positive all season, except for the game at Tulane. I don’t know what she and Mikayla did, but it got them benched. Penalty served, Meg played some decent minutes after that. I watched her closely in the Cincy replay, and thought she was very good. In 2 years, she’ll be the star talking about the struggles of the 2019 recruits and referencing how Lou helped her years before.
How all the upper class players helped her years before.

Reaction Score
Geno is complaining about "kids today." But what I see personally in my classrooms and, for example, from what Meg says, are kids with a great deal of character and a willingness to work very hard. I do mourn the days when kids were in my face more, refusing to believe what I said or see the world the same way as me, but these are also a terrific bunch of young people with their own strengths. Pretty soon, it's going to be their world to run, and I feel really good about that.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
1. @HuskyNan is the BEST! Thank you for posting
2. Can we send this article to Mushnick and more importantly to his editor to know and understand that STANDARDS for excellence should not be compromised. Otherwise you get mediocrity....

Reaction Score
They all read the Boneyard, including the national press.

Family, friends, and former coaches of the current, future, and potential players read the 'yard, too.

other then some BY quotes from those "so called" basketball experts that turn up now and again how do we know that team affiliated folks are currently reading the BY?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Geno is complaining about "kids today." But what I see personally in my classrooms and, for example, from what Meg says, are kids with a great deal of character and a willingness to work very hard. I do mourn the days when kids were in my face more, refusing to believe what I said or see the world the same way as me, but these are also a terrific bunch of young people with their own strengths. Pretty soon, it's going to be their world to run, and I feel really good about that.

Great post, Bags. Spot on. Most people outside of higher ed wouldn't really be able to grasp the importance of the "in my face" part of it. One of the first things I remember learning as a college freshman was a bit from my philosophy course. "Truth is the product of the conflict of ideas."

Reaction Score

I will gladly settle right now for a so-so Sophomore season followed by Junior and Senior seasons that remind all of us of Tina and her two final chapters in this uniform!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was beside myself not because I wanted them to get another chance to play but rather because injured starters were sacrificed in order to prove a point...
My comment was not directed at a specific member of the BY, but since you mentioned injured starters, there were still 5 other reserves on Geno’s bench excluding MW & Mikayla.

Reaction Score
My comment was not directed at a specific member of the BY, but since you mentioned injured starters, there were still 5 other reserves on Geno’s bench excluding MW & Mikayla.

exactly.............I would have been happy if they put in the student manager up 40 points............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom