Megan Rapino Talks Sue Bird and WNBA on Players Tribune | The Boneyard

Megan Rapino Talks Sue Bird and WNBA on Players Tribune

Reaction Score
Warning: There’s a lot on Sue and basketball, but you have to wade through a ton of race, gender, politics, bad language, and “me-me-me-remember-we-won-the-world-cup”. (Whether you really liked Megan or didn’t care for her, this probably isn’t going to change your mind).

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Warning: There’s a lot on Sue and basketball, but you have to wade through a ton of race, gender, politics, bad language, and “me-me-me-remember-we-won-the-world-cup”. (Whether you really liked Megan or didn’t care for her, this probably isn’t going to change your mind).

https://www.the players tribune.com/en-us/articles/megan-rapinoe-seattle-storm-wnba-finals
Correct link: I’ve Got Some Things to Say. Let’s Do a WNBA Finals Preview. | By Megan Rapinoe

The Players Tribune has consistently put front-and-center, in the words of the athletes themselves, the intersection between sports and the broader social and cultural landscape. It is decidedly *not* an X's-and-O's-focused outlet. Not sure why anyone would expect a PT article by Rapinoe to be the exception.

She does lead with a non-humble brag about the World Cup win, but all in all that's maybe 10% of the entire article. It's quite a meandering, off-the-cuff-sounding piece — not unlike Sue's article from last year — but she also gives her (tongue-in-cheek biased) picks for all-WNBA and all-"drip" awards, for example.

Even those who dislike her politics may enjoy her lengthy brag on Sue Bird. Scroll down to section (7) for that.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A little funny that Megan says she admires how chill the Storm (section 8) are and how they just go about their business although she cant avoid a little vulgarity even in praise. :rolleyes:

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
One point Rapinoe makes in writing about how the US Women's National Team won the World Cup and how it was a big deal is important: Why did *everyone* watch their games and almost no one watches the WNBA?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One point Rapinoe makes in writing about how the US Women's National Team won the World Cup and how it was a big deal is important: Why did *everyone* watch their games and almost no one watches the WNBA?

Did she offer some Hypothesis? I have mine but do not feel like getting into heavy stuff.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Did she offer some Hypothesis? I have mine but do not feel like getting into heavy stuff.
Also, it's not a fair comparison. A fairer one would be comparing the viewership/attendance of the NWSL vs. WNBA (the NWSL has slightly higher in-person attendance).

National Women's Soccer League attendance - Wikipedia

For the FIFA women's World Cup, ostensibly the apples to applies counterpart would be the FIBA women's World Cup, but the two events have widely varying media coverage, player and audience demographics, and other differentiators.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Uggghh. I can appreciate the point of view. But the style and ego are over the top. And, yes I get it, it's part of the schtick. It's supposed to upset people of my age, color and gender, just to maintain her credibility with her peer group.
I liked it better when people tried to find common ground.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine said it best. What I don't like about this 'power couple" is that they are ....smug.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I love Megan and Sue. What great role models for young girls and boys - they are true to themselves and speak out about things that they believe in, even though it could potentially lose them fans.

Megan makes some great points in this article. The WNBA has been on the forefront of the social justice movement for years, but doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves for that work.

And the ratings are WAY up this year - obviously there aren't many other sports to watch, but I do think that viewers might stick with it once they realize that the games are exciting and GOOD.

#gostorm

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Well, based on the responses here, it is brave. And I don't think speaking out on things like women's rights, gay rights, and racial issues are media-driven, personally. Megan has consistently pushed for equal pay for the USWNT, for example. She's been talking about being a gay woman in sports for a long time. Neither of those views has been a "popular" topic historically. And it would have been a lot easier for Sue to stay in the closet and just play basketball, but she has instead used her platform and popularity to speak about issues that are important to her, regardless of whether they are comfortable for fans. That to me is extremely brave, but YMMV.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I personally enjoyed her writing very much. But I can see it would depend what side of the political aisle you sit on regarding like vs. dislike of what she said.

Bottom line, she loves Sue and is so supportive - and that alone is great to see. She has a good point (among many) - that Sue is seeing her 3 point shooting at it's best the past 2 years, and when she wants to, she can score in bunches. Sue could be much higher on the all time scoring list if she were a more "selfish" shooter...

Reaction Score
I like Megan and Sue and admire their political advocacy. I do think Megan can be over-the-top, but perhaps that is what is needed right now.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
If you're a UConn fan, not liking Sue Bird is like, I don't know, not liking oxygen or water or fun. I can't even imagine how it's possible. "Yeah, Sue is too ... " what? How does that sentence end in a way that makes sense? Full of life? Funny? Good? Ageless? Hard-working?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom