Megan Gets Well Deserved Attention | The Boneyard

Megan Gets Well Deserved Attention

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Megan's freshman struggles have been well documented and discussed to the proverbial fair thee well. Mike Anthony has a piece out that touches on this and her turn around. Last year I was impressed with how she handled herself through that trying campaign and I'm equally impressed with how she owned it and has dug in to make her dream a reality. It is reflected in Mike's column.

Mike Anthony: Megan Walker shines in UConn women's opener, puts freshman year struggles in rearview

“Freshman year was a challenge,” Walker said. “I had to respond. I didn’t want to be the same coming back. I feel like it’s a learning experience. Toward the end of last year, I started to figure it out and key in on what I needed to do. … It’s an everyday grind in college basketball — UConn basketball, I should say. It’s at another level. [ A level different than every other program.]I was a little shocked.”

[ ]ed stuff she said and he missed.

“I knew it would be hard,” said Walker, a sophomore who averaged 5.8 points last season. “I knew it would be tough. I just took a bigger blow than anybody else. We stuck it out. I’m not going anywhere.”

Love her mature attitude.

Reaction Score
Megan's freshman struggles have been well documented and discussed to the proverbial fair thee well. Mike Anthony has a piece out that touches on this and her turn around. Last year I was impressed with how she handled herself through that trying campaign and I'm equally impressed with how she owned it and has dug in to make her dream a reality. It is reflected in Mike's column.

Mike Anthony: Megan Walker shines in UConn women's opener, puts freshman year struggles in rearview

“Freshman year was a challenge,” Walker said. “I had to respond. I didn’t want to be the same coming back. I feel like it’s a learning experience. Toward the end of last year, I started to figure it out and key in on what I needed to do. … It’s an everyday grind in college basketball — UConn basketball, I should say. It’s at another level. [ A level different than every other program.]I was a little shocked.”

[ ]ed stuff she said and he missed.

“I knew it would be hard,” said Walker, a sophomore who averaged 5.8 points last season. “I knew it would be tough. I just took a bigger blow than anybody else. We stuck it out. I’m not going anywhere.”

Love her mature attitude.
Your comments were as good as Walkers. Nice.
Megan Walker showed her maturity as she sat on the bench when she was alone with pine splinters on that bench. She was the focus of many TV cameras as she sat brightly for all to see. She didn't transfer, as some would have if she pouted no one saw it. It takes maturity, not old age, maturity of self-worth, self-determination and knowledge in your ability to hang on when others would fall. I have been a Megan Walker fan since @CocoHusky touted us on to her.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
El Jeffe also speaketh Megan:

Jeff Jacobs: Megan Walker’s stellar start bodes well for UConn

“The Megan we saw today is the Megan we know,” Collier said. “It’s really a mindset for her, because she hasn’t played as much as she will this year. You can definitely see her confidence up and her aggressiveness. I think big things are going to come from Megan.”

So what do you tell her?

“You’re not going to be able to do things physically at the end of the game that you might have done at the beginning, but your effort can always be the same,” Collier said. “You can always give 100 percent. It’s really flipping a switch for her mentally to push through when she’s really tried.”

“I’m willing to do my job and prove I deserve that spot,” Walker said. “Napheesa is a great role model. Knowing how to compete, no plays off. It’s an every day grind. UConn is at another level than any school in the country. “

Reaction Score
Have to laugh as some comments. Felt MW did well last year when she played, particularly in several critical games. Yes, she made several wonderful drives to basket yesterday but also was out of control on others and didn't show a great outside game. Rebounding and defense adequate. Main difference I saw yesterday was that she played significant minutes without the fear of being sat after a mistake. Predict she will have several "Lou Like" break out games this year now that she can relax a bit.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
As I posted in another thread, I think she can string together 4-5 of these performances, not like 1 out of 5 like last year, IMHO.

Reaction Score
I watched the whole game on You Tube. I thought Megan was outstanding. In fact it looks to me like the starting 5 are as good as anybody in the country. I believe Baylor has more depth. The bench is loaded with outstanding freshmen. In fact they seem to play better than the starters at times. But at this juncture I'd give UConns starting five an edge over BUs starters. Really looking forward to the matchup between the two.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I watched the whole game on You Tube. I thought Megan was outstanding. In fact it looks to me like the starting 5 are as good as anybody in the country. I believe Baylor has more depth. The bench is loaded with outstanding freshmen. In fact they seem to play better than the starters at times. But at this juncture I'd give UConns starting five an edge over BUs starters. Really looking forward to the matchup between the two.
HoopGurlz ranking of our starters in their respective HS classes:

Lou #1
Pheesa #6 (she's already been an AP First-Team All-American)
Crystal #3 (behind Cox and Holmes, who are 6'3" and bigger)
Megan #1
Crystal #1

This is an elite group!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Perchance you meant “Lou #1.” [edit: wrong! sorry]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
HoopGurlz ranking of our starters in their respective HS classes:

Lou #1
Pheesa #6 (she's already been an AP First-Team All-American)
Crystal #3 (behind Cox and Holmes, who are 6'3" and bigger)
Megan #1
CW #1

This is an elite group!
Hard to believe a team with that starting line up is thought to have a down or somewhat of a rebuilding year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom