Megan Duffy | The Boneyard

Megan Duffy

Reaction Score
So, where does Duffy go at the end of this year? I thought she would've gotten a P5 job after last year, but for sure she will get a lot of looks this year?

What P5 coaches are on the hot seat and what situation would be best for her? I see her more as a Big Ten/ACC style of coach more than the SEC/B12.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
So, where does Duffy go at the end of this year? I thought she would've gotten a P5 job after last year, but for sure she will get a lot of looks this year?

What P5 coaches are on the hot seat and what situation would be best for her? I see her more as a Big Ten/ACC style of coach more than the SEC/B12.
I'm not sure she is a top candidate for a P5 opening. She's done a nice job at Marquette and Miami (OH) but Marquette isn't even a lock for a tournament bid this season and missed the NCAAs a year ago.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
And, perhaps Duffy wants to build a program at Marquette? If you can be one of the top 3 BE programs, that's pretty good. For next year, who knows what's gonna happen. The grass isn't always greener.

Reaction Score
Whether she wants to stay and build, or upgrade to a Power 5 school, after the Uconn upset, and a gameplan to defend the Huskies that may have been as good as anybody's, she will be considered a hot prospect in the coaching ranks.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Nit, but one worth bringing up: her first name is Megan (not Meghan).

Duffy has been in play for a number of top jobs already: it's pretty well known she was a finalist for the Oklahoma job that went to Jennie Baranczyk. She's a "Midwest girl" -- she and her husband are from Ohio and she went to ND -- so I could see her wanting to stay in this section of the country after stints in New York (St. John's) and Washington, D.C. (George Washington). And she had a very successful run under Kim Barnes Arrico at Michigan, working with Katelyn Flaherty, when the Wolverines won the WNIT.

I think she's very comfortable in Marquette: private Catholic school and the AD is a former, long-time associate athletic director at ND. If there's one place I could see where there's "mutual interest," it's if and when Joe McKeown decides to hang it up at Northwestern.

Reaction Score
Who knows what her goals are. Maybe she wants to coach at some school with all of the bells and whistles. I do like what she is doing at Marquette and hope that she stays. She seems to have that program headed in the right direction. I mean if Villanova can maintain their upward trajectory after Maddy Siegrist leaves and Marquette continues to do well under Coach Duffy, they could challenge for a spot for top dogs in the Big East.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First, I like Megan as a coach. Her teams are disciplined and tough. Her teams will always give you a game, especially on their home court.
I could be she sees who has interest in her and wonders if the grass is really greener on the other side. Marquette is a good gig. A lot of support and she can/ is competitive in the BE. There are lot of programs out there who are not at Marquette's level.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Megan Duffy, Dawn Staley, Niele Ivey and Denise Dillon All Have Something In Common

According to an article in The Next:

"Marquette's Megan Duffy joined Dawn Staley (of South Carolina), Denise Dillion (of Villanova) and Niele Ivey (of Notre Dame) as one of only four people to defeat UConn coach head coach Geno Auriemma as both a player (Notre Dame, 2002-06) and as a coach," according to a story in The Next.

In fact, Marquette took it one step further: Duffy and Ivey are the only two to do it as players, assistant coaches and head coaches.

That said/done, Geno likes Duffy:

“I’ve had a chance to spend a lot of time around Megan and her husband at the BIG EAST meetings and Megan was a hell of a player as everybody knows at Notre Dame but one thing I’ve found about Megan that really pisses me off is she’s entirely too chipper for me,” Geno Auriemma said. “That kid is never not happy. She’s never not supportive of her team and she’s never anything but upbeat.

“I love the way she coaches plain and simple. She coaches to her personality and that’s how she was as a player and that’s how she coaches her team. They play with that same toughness and physicality that she played with.”

BTW, Geno has always spoken favorably about Niele in the articles I've read, calling her "good company" at the endless amount of AAU tourneys they attend.

Here's the full article:

https://www./ncaaw/big-east/big-east-notebook-dont-sleep-on-marquette/

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I bet you can't find the same complimentary things about their old coach and Geno quotes...:rolleyes:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I bet you can't find the same complimentary things about their old coach and Geno quotes...:rolleyes:
I'll leave it up to you to find whatever you'd like about Geno's relationship with Harry Perrotta (Dillon), Joanne Boyle (Dawn Staley) or Muffet McGraw (Duffy, Niele).

That wasn't the intent of my post, which is to show a current relationship. I would be interested in seeing how an elder statesman like Geno also gets along with Coach Dillon and Niele Ivey. That's what's relevant (Sorry, not biting ;))

Reaction Score
If she wants to coach at a P5 conference, I would tell her wait a year or so until Oklahoma and Texas depart the Big 12 for the SEC while BYU, Houston, UCF and Cincinnati join the Big 12...at that time the Big East will become a P5 conference surpassing the Big 12. :rolleyes:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If I were an athletic director at a big-time WBB program, I would be concerned about the fact that Duffy lost recent recruiting battles with Geno for two Wisconsin players in Marquette's backyard -- KK Arnold and Allie Ziebell.

That is the biggest question that AD'S are going to have about any "mid-major" coach such as Duffy -- not the quality of her coaching but her recruiting ability. For that purpose, it helps if the young coach has a name that high school players will recognize, e.g., Kara Lawson. I don't think that most recruits know Megan Duffy from Eve (so to speak).

That is also why, when the time comes for succession at UConn, I hope that the University will recognize the importance of celebrity for recruiting, and choose someone like Sue Bird or Tina Charles, rather than someone like Carla Berube.

Reaction Score
If I were an athletic director at a big-time WBB program, I would be concerned about the fact that Duffy lost recent recruiting battles with Geno for two Wisconsin players in Marquette's backyard -- KK Arnold and Allie Ziebell.

That is the biggest question that AD'S are going to have about any "mid-major" coach such as Duffy -- not the quality of her coaching but her recruiting ability. For that purpose, it helps if the young coach has a name that high school players will recognize, e.g., Kara Lawson. I don't think that most recruits know Megan Duffy from Eve (so to speak).

That is also why, when the time comes for succession at UConn, I hope that the University will recognize the importance of celebrity for recruiting, and choose someone like Sue Bird or Tina Charles, rather than someone like Carla Berube.
I wouldn't be concerned about Duffy losing any "battles" for those two kids. They were both long time fans of UConn and as soon as GA offered them, their decision was made. And technically Staley lost out on Arnold as well since she also offered her along with many other schools including Duke, NC, OSU, ND and Louisville. If Duffy had the recruiting advantages of those schools, I believe she'd get her fair share.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom