Mega ratings for ESPN's college football playoffs make cable TV history | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mega ratings for ESPN's college football playoffs make cable TV history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Someone needs to remind Urban, if it wasn't for the playoff grind, he'd be watching Alabama play Oregon or Florida State for the national title.

North Dakota State and Illinois State played 16 and 15 games, respectively. Nary a complaint.

As far as the academic "grind" is concerned, FCS schools like Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell, Colgate and other rigorous academic institutions seem to have no problem with the format. Colgate made the finals in the recent past. Again, not a word of complaint.

Oh, and the above referenced schools are playing for an amount equal to the change found under the seat cushions in the Oregon player's lounge.

Reaction Score
Next idea will be the B1GDL. The MAC schools are aligned to Big 10 teams and they can use them for freshman to get playing time and call up any good players the MAC finds by accident.

Dri Archer would have looked good at Ohio State.

LOL. The MAC was created as a feeder system for the Big 10.

Reaction Score
Ya mean like this one...

Landgrant33 Jan 03, 3:45pm via Tweetbot for Mac
Urban Meyer says the 85 scholarship limit was made for 12 games and now there’s 15. It needs to be readdressed.

There's always an agenda.

This is what disgusts me to no end about the Bristol sports media empire. Fugging hypocrites and parasites there these days. A far cry from the trailers they started in just outside the entrance to Lake Compounce. Chris Berman is still there. Does he read this website? I can only hope. How does it feel to know what your empire has done?

I hope Stuart Scott's spirit has been awakened, and somehow comes back to haunt the duck*Ks.

There is a deplorable dichotomy, that the United States itself, was founded upon principle - that ESPN espouses. They have invested, vested, profitable interest in the promotion and success of product that they are supposed to be journalistic, and independent and truthful searching on reporting on. It's not the case.

It's the most perfect example of Goebbel's propaganda machine that has been created in modern society. No lie. It's only not a big deal because it's sports media, and not political media and government media. Just imagine the equivalent crossover of what ESPN has with the college football regular season, and more effectively, the post season - what it would possibly compare to in real world politics.

Fugging scary.

So Urban Meyer thinks 85 scholarships isn't enough. Fack you. True academic institutions playing football for well over a century, have been competiting in tournament football post season format for a long time with no problem - at 65 scholarships.

Faaaaak. The NFL only allows 45 active players on game day with a 16 game regular season.

UGGGGG.

I want a true playoff off all conference champs, and a couple of at large seeds. That's what has to happen. That's what true journalism would create - quickly.

Reaction Score
kyleslamb said:
If you go back several years, you'll find Urban has always been leery of a playoff for the exact reasons he's talking about now. He's been remarkably consistent about it. So yes, if they were on the outside looking in, I think you'd find him saying the same exact things. It's not that he's anti-playoff, but he's concerned with the season becoming too long in general.

Right. And didn't me mostly leave Florida due to stress related issues? So I can see him being legit on that point.

Reaction Score
Lmao, didn't hear that Urban had a little Petrino in him.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
85 isn't enough for Ohio State if you are uncomfortable not having better players at every position than your opponents.

Can't take that risk.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
Well, the stress was created by his wife finding out that he was banging a staffer but yeah, it was stress related issues.

I wasn't paying attention. Wow. :)

Reaction Score
I wasn't paying attention. Wow. :)

You didn't miss anything. It was nothing more than an urban legend, pun intended (of course). Just a rumor that has been around a while and no one substantiated it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You didn't miss anything. It was nothing more than an urban legend, pun intended (of course). Just a rumor that has been around a while and no one substantiated it.

Thank God an Ohio State fan was here to set us straight at 10pm on a Saturday night.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This is what disgusts me to no end about the Bristol sports media empire. Fugging hypocrites and parasites there these days. A far cry from the trailers they started in just outside the entrance to Lake Compounce. Chris Berman is still there. Does he read this website? I can only hope. How does it feel to know what your empire has done?

I hope Stuart Scott's spirit has been awakened, and somehow comes back to haunt the duck*Ks.

There is a deplorable dichotomy, that the United States itself, was founded upon principle - that ESPN espouses. They have invested, vested, profitable interest in the promotion and success of product that they are supposed to be journalistic, and independent and truthful searching on reporting on. It's not the case.

It's the most perfect example of Goebbel's propaganda machine that has been created in modern society. No lie. It's only not a big deal because it's sports media, and not political media and government media. Just imagine the equivalent crossover of what ESPN has with the college football regular season, and more effectively, the post season - what it would possibly compare to in real world politics.
Yeah, I know ESPN is evil and all, but the stuff that happens in the real world is juuuuuuuuuuuust a tad worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom