Media Picks LSU To Win SEC, Vandy Last | The Boneyard

Media Picks LSU To Win SEC, Vandy Last

Reaction Score
My best guess:

I’m most confident in my top-three, but even that could come into question if Ole Miss and Mississippi State are even better than I think they will be. But, here goes…

1 South Carolina
2 LSU
3 Tennessee

I think it drops off a bit after the top three, then again after 4 and 5

4 Ole Miss
5 Mississippi State

6 Alabama
7 Texas A&M

I’m a bit shaky about the 8-10 grouping because I think Georgia and Arkansas could break into the group above and (gulp) Vandy could go either up or down from where I have them

8 Georgia
9 Arkansas
10 Vanderbilt

If Florida or Missouri are even a little bit better than I think, they could move into the grouping above

11 Missouri
12 Florida
13 Auburn
14 Kentucky

A few notes:
1—South Carolina has a lot of new players, but they’re still loaded with high school All-Americans from one end of the roster to the other. The most notable could be 6’7 Kamilla Cardoso, who has been waiting her turn behind Aliyah Boston. Somebody has to show me they can beat the Gamecocks before I believe it.

2—LSU will be really good with the addition of Hailey Van Lith and Aneesah Morrow from the portal. Maybe the convergence of all those egos will create an explosion, but I doubt it. Their coach has enough ego to keep a lid on things.

3—The Vols once again made out in the portal with the addition of scoring wing Jewel Spear from Wake Forest and Belmont point guard Destinee Wells. Wells can also move to shooting guard and provide some scoring punch. The biggest pickup for coach Kellie Harper comes from within with the return of 6’5 Tamari Key, who missed most of last season. She’s big, physical and talented and is a natural compliment to wing player Rickea Jackson. You have to give Harper a lot of credit for the ascension of Jackson last season. She came to Knoxville from Mississippi State as a bit of a diva, started out under performing and found herself benched. When she came out of the dog house, she did so with a vengeance. All credit to her for her response. This team can play with South Carolina and LSU. Beat them? We’ll have to see.

4—I’m not fully onboard the Ole Miss Coach O hype train, but, credit where credit is due, they were terrific defensively in last season’s NCAA tourney, particularly in the upset of Stanford. In fairness, though, the Cardinal play in the PAC 12 where they still try to play basketball. They did not appear ready for the SEC rugby match that broke out against Ole Miss. The Rebels did well in the portal. I especially like the pick up of Florida Gator guard KK Deans. Still, it’s hard to maintain the kind of defensive effort they had against Stanford over a 16-game SEC schedule, and they still have some questions on offense. Deans will help there, though.

5—I go back and forth between Mississippi State and Ole Miss at 4 and 5. The Bulldogs made a huge haul in the portal, bringing in three probable starters. There’s a good chance they start five seniors and grad students. Not only is there a talent factor, but those 22- and 23-year olds figure to be a lot more physically mature than the 18- and 19-year olds a lot of teams, including Vandy, will be playing.

6—Very uncertain about Bama, but they seem to be on a steady incline, and it doesn’t seem unreasonable to place them here near the middle of the pack. Coach Curry seems to be hitting her stride with recruiting.

7—Texas A&M not only brought in several talented players from the portal, but Joni Taylor also had a great recruiting class. Of the teams that have been perpetually in the bottom four the last few years, they seem to be the most certain to rise in the ranks this season. I would not be surprised to see them finish ahead of Bama. Like Vandy, they had a lot of injuries last year. The difference is, they got those players back late in the year and made a good run in the SEC tournament.

8—Georgia didn’t lose any players in the portal, and it’s hard to know if they made any new additions who will make them substantially better this season. They mostly get it done with a weirdly aggressive zone defense except when they faced Vandy when they hit their first 11 shots of the game and had a 17-0 run at one point. They’re just tough to beat.

9—Arkansas adds super scorer Taliah Scott out of high school and Sasha Goforth will be back after sitting out a year, but coach Mike Neighbors still has his annual question mark in the post. They lost their leading scorer, 6’2 Erynn Barnum, to Mississippi State. The Razorbacks have talent and they will score.

10—If Vandy can keep its roster together and out of the training room, the Commodores should be quite a bit better. They do have some firepower and enough depth to play fast and apply pressure. Rebounding could be the achilles heel. I’m hoping to see more of the UConn motion offense this season. It’s what coach Ralph has wanted to do from the start, but she hasn’t had the personnel. The Dores are starting out with a lot of ground to make up to get to the middle of the pack. I’m looking for an 8-10 finish with 10 the more likely. The team could be fun to watch if they run the way I think they will.

11-14 I won’t go into detail on these teams except to say, in my very-much amateur assessment, they all seem like they could decline a bit from last year.

Reaction Score
My best guess:

I’m most confident in my top-three, but even that could come into question if Ole Miss and Mississippi State are even better than I think they will be. But, here goes…

1 South Carolina
2 LSU
3 Tennessee

4 Ole Miss
5 Mississippi State

6 Alabama
7 Texas A&M

I’m a bit shaky about the 8-10 grouping because I think Georgia and Arkansas could break into the group above and (gulp) Vandy could go either up or down from where I have them

8 Georgia
9 Arkansas
10 Vanderbilt

If Florida or Missouri are even a little bit better than I think, they could move into the grouping above

11 Missouri
12 Florida
13 Auburn
14 Kentucky

A few notes:
1—South Carolina has a lot of new players, but they’re still loaded with high school All-Americans from one end of the roster to the other. The most notable could be 6’7 Kamilla Cardoso, who has been waiting her turn behind Aliyah Boston. Somebody has to show me they can beat the Gamecocks before I believe it.

2—LSU will be really good with the addition of Hailey Van Lith and Aneesah Morrow from the portal. Maybe the convergence of all those egos will create an explosion, but I doubt it. Their coach has enough ego to keep a lid on things.

3—The Vols once again made out in the portal with the addition of scoring wing Jewel Spear from Wake Forest and Belmont point guard Destinee Wells. Wells can also move to shooting guard and provide some scoring punch. The biggest pickup for coach Kellie Harper comes from within with the return of 6’5 Tamari Key, who missed most of last season. She’s big, physical and talented and is a natural compliment to wing player Rickea Jackson. You have to give Harper a lot of credit for the ascension of Jackson last season. She came to Knoxville from Mississippi State as a bit of a diva, started out under performing and found herself benched. When she came out of the dog house, she did so with a vengeance. All credit to her for her response. This team can play with South Carolina and LSU. Beat them? We’ll have to see.

4—I’m not fully onboard the Ole Miss Coach O hype train, but, credit where credit is due, they were terrific defensively in last season’s NCAA tourney, particularly in the upset of Stanford. In fairness, though, the Cardinal play in the PAC 12 where they still try to play basketball. They did not appear ready for the SEC rugby match that broke out against Ole Miss. The Rebels did well in the portal. I especially like the pick up of Florida Gator guard KK Deans. Still, it’s hard to maintain the kind of defensive effort they had against Stanford over a 16-game SEC schedule, and they still have some questions on offense. Deans will help there, though.

5—I go back and forth between Mississippi State and Ole Miss at 4 and 5. The Bulldogs made a huge haul in the portal, bringing in three probable starters. There’s a good chance they start five seniors and grad students. Not only is there a talent factor, but those 22- and 23-year olds figure to be a lot more physically mature than the 18- and 19-year olds a lot of teams, including Vandy, will be playing.

6—Very uncertain about Bama, but they seem to be on a steady incline, and it doesn’t seem unreasonable to place them here near the middle of the pack. Coach Curry seems to be hitting her stride with recruiting.

7—Texas A&M not only brought in several talented players from the portal, but Joni Taylor also had a great recruiting class. Of the teams that have been perpetually in the bottom four the last few years, they seem to be the most certain to rise in the ranks this season. I would not be surprised to see them finish ahead of Bama. Like Vandy, they had a lot of injuries last year. The difference is, they got those players back late in the year and made a good run in the SEC tournament.

8—Georgia didn’t lose any players in the portal, and it’s hard to know if they made any new additions who will make them substantially better this season. They mostly get it done with a weirdly aggressive zone defense except when they faced Vandy when they hit their first 11 shots of the game and had a 17-0 run at one point. They’re just tough to beat.

9—Arkansas adds super scorer Taliah Scott out of high school and Sasha Goforth will be back after sitting out a year, but coach Mike Neighbors still has his annual question mark in the post. They lost their leading scorer, 6’2 Erynn Barnum, to Mississippi State. The Razorbacks have talent and they will score.

10—If Vandy can keep its roster together and out of the training room, the Commodores should be quite a bit better. They do have some firepower and enough depth to play fast and apply pressure. Rebounding could be the achilles heel. I’m hoping to see more of the UConn motion offense this season. It’s what coach Ralph has wanted to do from the start, but she hasn’t had the personnel. The Dores are starting out with a lot of ground to make up to get to the middle of the pack. I’m looking for an 8-10 finish with 10 the more likely. The team could be fun to watch if they run the way I think they will.

11-14 I won’t go into detail on these teams except to say, in my very-much amateur assessment, they all seem like they could decline a bit from last year.
Thanks for the breakdown. Pretty solid, especially on Ole Miss. Coach Yo has that program on the rise. I am looking forward to seeing what Arkansas does this year.

Reaction Score
I don’t have Vandy finishing in last place. Right now my money is on UK.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Great post but hard disagree with this part. Stanford’s game plan was awful and non-existent outside of trying to get points in the paint for Jones and Brink. Had they run more creative sets, implemented other players or taken midrange and perimeter shots they could’ve cracked 50 but they just never adjusted or tried to play differently.

Reaction Score
My best guess:

1 South Carolina
2 LSU
3 Tennessee

4 Ole Miss
5 Mississippi State

6 Alabama
7 Texas A&M

8 Georgia
9 Arkansas
10 Vanderbilt

11 Missouri
12 Florida
13 Auburn
14 Kentucky

A few notes:

Great analysis. My thought with LSU is putting their best five on the court doesn’t allow for a physical post or forward. However it is hard to bet against Coach Mulkey. She is very good at shaping this type of talent.

After looking at the additions for Tennessee (including T Key), they have addressed a lot of needs. I also am very impressed with how R Jackson turned around her situation. I was extremely skeptical of her attitude. However I am proud of how she grew.

Reaction Score
After watching the interviews on SEC Network I have to say that the SEC is more loaded than I realized. Most teams have some serious playmakers. Like, just look at Florida, they have Dut returning and Matharu coming off a redshirt year after transferring from Texas. Those are two very solid players to build a team around and they're predicted to be in the bottom third of the conference.

I think the SEC is going to a strong conference from top to bottom this year. We have a few final four level teams in LSU, Tennessee and South Carolina. Ole Miss and Miss State look to be sweet sixteen level teams with the talent they brought in and retained. I think Jessika Carter may shock the SEC this year and be in the running for SEC player of the year.

Then Texas A&M and Arkansas are wildcards. They could be good and they could be bad. They have the talent to be elite but will they put it all together? Only time will tell. But those are two other teams that should make the tournament.

Alabama should be good as well. Sarah Barker is returning and she is a gritty playmaker. She will be a lot to handle going into her final year. I wouldn't count them out either.

Reaction Score
My ranking:

I struggled with #1-3 because there is just so many unknowns with LSU, South Carolina and Tennessee. It's no question that LSU is loaded but I question the team chemistry and right fit for their roles. South Carolina is filled with All-Americans but they are inexperienced. Tennessee has a good mix of returning experience and portal grabs but I question Harpers ability to make the right decisions in close games. I'm going against the grain...my prediction is that LSU has a season like Tennessee has last season (or the NY Liberty this year) where they look out of sorts despite having a loaded roster. They have moments of brilliance paired with games that make you wonder what the heck is wrong. South Carolina is legit but loses a few games as the leadership and experience is building. Tennessee isn't as good as those two teams but they have a steady SEC slate that puts them on top with no surprise losses.

1) Tennessee
2) South Carolina
3) LSU
^---1-seed potential---^
4) Mississippi State
5) Ole Miss
6) Texas A&M
^---top 16 / 4-seed potential ---^
7) Arkansas
8) Alabama
^---NCAA tournament bid potential---^
9) Georgia
10) Vanderbilt
11) Florida
12) Missouri
^---NIT bids potential---^
13) Kentucky
14) Auburn

I believe the SEC is going to have a really good year. This conference is more loaded than I thought!

Reaction Score
1. SC (but not undefeated)
2. TN
3. Miss St
4. LSU
5. Ole Miss
6. Texas A&M
7. Arkansas
8. Alabama
9. Georgia
10. Vanderbilt
11. Florida
12. Missouri
13. Auburn
14. Kentucky

SEC POY: R. Jackson
SEC Freshmen of the Year: Fulwiley
SEC Coach of the Year: Joni Taylor ( Bottom of conference to top 6 in SEC in one offseason)

Coach on hot seat: Missouri Coach. Elzy will eventually get fired but probably not after this season, maybe after next year there a shot if they continue to finish last. I'm not seeing the vision with Johnnie Harris at Auburn but she came to an Auburn at a tough time and it will be more difficult with Texas/OU joining the SEC moving forward. Without better recruiting they will continue to squander..

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
After watching the interviews on SEC Network I have to say that the SEC is more loaded than I realized. Most teams have some serious playmakers. Like, just look at Florida, they have Dut returning and Matharu coming off a redshirt year after transferring from Texas. Those are two very solid players to build a team around and they're predicted to be in the bottom third of the conference.

I think the SEC is going to a strong conference from top to bottom this year. We have a few final four level teams in LSU, Tennessee and South Carolina. Ole Miss and Miss State look to be sweet sixteen level teams with the talent they brought in and retained. I think Jessika Carter may shock the SEC this year and be in the running for SEC player of the year.

Then Texas A&M and Arkansas are wildcards. They could be good and they could be bad. They have the talent to be elite but will they put it all together? Only time will tell. But those are two other teams that should make the tournament.

Alabama should be good as well. Sarah Barker is returning and she is a gritty playmaker. She will be a lot to handle going into her final year. I wouldn't count them out either.
It feels like Carter has been in school for a decade.

Reaction Score
Great post but hard disagree with this part. Stanford’s game plan was awful and non-existent outside of trying to get points in the paint for Jones and Brink. Had they run more creative sets, implemented other players or taken midrange and perimeter shots they could’ve cracked 50 but they just never adjusted or tried to play differently.
Quite honestly, they didn't have the guards to beat a team like ole miss. And that has been an issue with most of Tara's teams. Her guards tend to fold when pressed by athletic and quick teams. I also agree that her gameplan was nonexistent.

Reaction Score
Actually you aren’t far off as this is her sixth year. She played three. Redshirted. Played a year and is now using her COVID year.
Thanks. I knew Carter had been around for a minute. Just did not know how long.

Reaction Score

I will have to check YouTube for the SEC media day. I have always been a huge fan of the SEC, especially when it came to their basketball programs. Great breakdown as well. The SEC is a pretty strong conference indeed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom