Media going after DiVincenzo now | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Media going after DiVincenzo now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It burns me when I see adults who I'm sure have done far worse telling kids/young men they need to apologize for things they said or wrote when they were legitimately little kids.
I get that, but at the same time those kids should be taught right from wrong.

Kobe calls someone a "bleeping f^g" and yes he should apologize and handle any punishment the league sees fit. If we're going to scour the social media profiles of 13 and 14 year old's and tell them to apologize for things they said now that they are young men/adults then we've lost our way.
I just can't see eye to eye on this. Kids should be taught to take ownership for what they say and do.

A 14 year old is not an 8 year old, or even a 12 year old.

You seriously think he needs to apologize for typing a rap lyric from one of the most popular songs that dropped a week before he made the tweet? Let's go after racists for being racists and not go after someone who is pretty clearly not racist and instead just a kid who recited a rap lyric. This type of stuff only detracts from the very really problem of racism.
In large part I agree with your point, but I also think a good way to go after racism as an institution is to go after casual racism. And yes, a non-black person using that word – even in context – is casual racism, just as there was an example of casual homophobia in those tweets.

There aren't many more important lessons than this one IMO.

Reaction Score
I get that, but at the same time those kids should be taught right from wrong.

I just can't see eye to eye on this. Kids should be taught to take ownership for what they say and do.

A 14 year old is not an 8 year old, or even a 12 year old.

In large part I agree with your point, but I also think a good way to go after racism as an institution is to go after casual racism. And yes, a non-black person using that word – even in context – is casual racism, just as there was an example of casual homophobia in those tweets.

There aren't many more important lessons than this one IMO.

Have their parents and teachers teach them a lesson and make them learn ownership. Life lessons from the media is such a crock of horsedookie, I can't stand the hypocrisy. You want to look back and go through what every 14 year old was writing and saying in the 90's and 2000's, you won't find too many that didn't make light of homosexuality, use the n^g^a lyric, and the B word.

I'm about the least tolerant person when it comes to racism. I took classes in African Studies and Race in America where I'm the only white kid in the class. I've been accused of being overly sensitive to race practically my whole life and this isn't any kind of racism. It's a kid playing organized basketball for the first time in his life and realizing he's really great at it. He wanted to drop the hottest lyric which applied to the game he's so good at.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The only thing better than following stars is destroying them..

This is not about things pc or what kids do that is stupid or the modality which they demonstrate it.

Ignore this stuff and the people exploiting it will need new targets to get a charge out of people. Good luck getting people to ignore this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44
Top Bottom