Mechelle Voepel WNBA Mock Draft ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mechelle Voepel WNBA Mock Draft ESPN

Reaction Score
Collier and Samuelson will be gone BEFORE the 7th pick!!! They are both All-Americans and proven players (both will finish their careers in the hallowed 2,000 point club) with a UConn pedigree. That combination is very attractive to WNBA coaches and GM's. 6'2" Pheesa is like a swiss army knife, she can do everything. They are "can't miss" prospects who could start as rookies for their respective teams. :cool:
I can think of 2 things Collier doesn't do very well: ft% & 3pt shots, so that Swiss army knife would be marked down in price some.

Reaction Score
- She opens with the Cambage story and Laimbeer, but really does not finish it. Just where, exactly would Cambage head and who/what does Dallas get in return?

The Liberty dropped out of the running, so it’s between the Sparks and Vegas. If Dallas doesn’t get a satisfactory offer, Cambage sitting out is also a possibility.

Ionescu going to the Aces. Boy, if there is one position the Aces are stacked at its point guard, with Kelsey Plum, MoJeff and Lindsay Allen all there. Does Trader Bill attempt to package them for more picks or a vet to fill a positional need? (Hmm, Minnesota?)

Laimbeer would have to trade players to get Cambage, so trading a PG as part of the package would make sense, especially the one that was born in Dallas.

And what of the top pick? If Ionescu isn't coming out, does he use that for a center or see what he can get for it and get a center later in the draft?

I would hope he would use it on a center. Prominent bigs don’t come around too often.

Jess Shepard gave Minnesota Coach credit for Shep losing the 30+ lbs. that she has and I have no doubt Coach Reeve was thinking ahead.

Reeve probably wasn’t expecting Shepard to take her seriously. The fact that Shepard made the effort to get into better shape when many players don’t probably got Reeve’s attention.

Reaction Score
I really don’t think JY is gonna leave early that maybe wishful thinking on My part thinking she’ll stay for Her senior year. But I don’t see Her leaving early.

Make sure you let her know that she’s draft eligible.;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I can think of 2 things Collier doesn't do very well: ft% & 3pt shots, so that Swiss army knife would be marked down in price some.

Noted, do you disagree that she will be gone before the 7th pick? I maintain Collier is a top 4 lottery pick.

Reaction Score
She's a top 5 career FT shooter in UConn History so this is seen as something that won't last. She's on the upward trend lately (made 9/10) last game. Her touch & ability to hit fadeaways also has GMs believing she can return to a mid to high 30% shooter from deep. We've had a very small sample size this year because she's UConn's only "big". She can play the 3 or 4 & is the most versatile defensive payer in the draft. No chance she slides past LA but I'm with @Scoop she is a top 4 prospect, no question.

Reaction Score
Samuelson defense is a concern at the next level but teams can hide her. She's an elite shooter, has great IQ, good passer, and has turned into a good rebounder.

Arike shoots a lot of bad shots & is undersized. She can get as hot as anyone in this draft and has the clutch gene but her defense & effort on that end is the worst of any of the top prospects by a mile. Not the most appealing thing for a GM with a top pick.

Jackie Young won't enter the draft this year. Has potential to be top pick next year if Ionescu leaves. Would make zero sense for her to come out, especially if she doesn't have her degree.

Reaction Score
How many players have actually entered the draft early?

Prince, Loyd, Zahui B. Any others?

If by “early” you mean “before all their NCAA eligibility is used up”, Aerial Powers, Alisha Gray, Kaela Davis, Acura Stevens. DeShields was going to return for her last year of eligibility, but changed her mind too late to join the draft. Her case was similar to Prince’s, who played overseas instead of playing her senior year, and continued on to be drafted in her draft class, so not really drafted early but left early.

Seems to happen more and more as players gain awareness of being eligible early for the draft. So by all means, let Young know she’s eligible to declare for the draft. ;)

Loyd leaving early is quite the coincidence, eh?

Zahui is European, so the circumstances are different.

Not really when they go through the NCAA system. Zahui redshirted her freshman year, plus she was old for her class (like Loyd), so she left two years of eligibility on the table.

Loyd had a learning disability and was unhappy at ND.

It’s totally not possible for Young to be unhappy at ND? I don’t exactly get the warm and fuzzy vibe from McGraw to her players.

How’s this for a theory? Along with her dyslexia, Loyd knew they weren’t going to win a championship as long as Stewart was still in the league. Might as well get the basketball career started. With Young, she’d be the lone returning starter. How likely is a championship for ND next year? Each player has their own value system, so it’s tough to predict something like that.

Think it's more likely neither is in the draft rather than both.

Agree.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If by “early” you mean “before all their NCAA eligibility is used up”

I was imprecise in my wording. I meant leaving college without a degree.

Salvadores left Duke after one year to go pro. I just think there is a different mentality for Euro players and not all of them really intend to spend four years and get a degree. I don't know the ins and outs of every league, but aren't the European leagues easier to break into if you have a European passport? So you are not competing for the limited spots available for foreigners?

I don't claim to know Jackie's mental state. From the outside looking in, it seems like everyone likes her and she likes everyone at ND.

Most alums are pretty supportive of the program and some have gone out of their way to come back to ND for visits and show their support. I would say Loyd is an outlier in that respect.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I really don’t think JY is gonna leave early that maybe wishful thinking on My part thinking she’ll stay for Her senior year. But I don’t see Her leaving early.
Well she knows from precedent that there's a price to pay if she does leave early: she'll be publicly Twitter-shamed by other ND alums and blocked by Muffet.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I dont see JY or Ionescu leaving earlier unless one wins a title this year, but mock drafts will be all over the place if they do, and if the international prospects come. I dont see Collier dropping to 12 no matter who comes, but this will be one of the deepest drafts ever if all of these players declare.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Completely agree with both of your takeaways, but I guess ESPNw wanted to generate a few clicks on an off day from their hoops columnist who also does double duty in the WNBA.

Or ESPN is trying to promote the sport in which it has invested, in the sense of TV contracts that include the WNBA. ESPN had mock drafts for the 2019 NBA Draft almost immediately after the 2018 NBA Draft was completed. I view this as another step toward the largest sports network treating the WNBA as more of a bigger player, rather than afterthought (but I was just thrilled to see a mock draft).

- She opens with the Cambage story and Laimbeer, but really does not finish it. Just where, exactly would Cambage head and who/what does Dallas get in return?

That is part of the issue...it is all rumors right now, subject to a the caveat of a report regarding rejection of a potential trade involving NY and Chicago.

And frankly, where Cambage (and other players) could go and what trades could be made should be in another article (and hopefully, it will be).

Ionescu going to the Aces. Boy, if there is one position the Aces are stacked at its point guard, with Kelsey Plum, MoJeff and Lindsay Allen all there. Does Trader Bill attempt to package them for more picks or a vet to fill a positional need? (Hmm, Minnesota?)

Take the best player available...always. When you draft for perceived need/position and ignore overall proven talent/potential, you end up with Kelly Miller (who had a very fine WNBA career and won a title with Phoenix) being drafted by Charlotte at #2 in the 2001 WNBA Draft over Tamika Catchings.

That being said, is Ionescu the best player in the draft? There is no consensus.

And is Ionescu better/going to be better than Plum/Jefferson? Plum made great strides in her second year (after a pretty bad rookie season), both as a shooter and as a playmaker. But is that the ceiling? Jefferson is more athletic than Plum and a better defender, but she has had recent injuries which have caused her to miss 30 out of 67 games over the past two years (one game was the Vegas forfeit, so I did not include that one).

Again, these are questions to be answered, as there is no consensus as to who the top player is -- and if that is Ionescu, what it means for the current Vegas roster.

IAnd what of the top pick? If Ionescu isn't coming out, does he use that for a center or see what he can get for it and get a center later in the draft?

I posted my thoughts about this a few months ago, so I apologize for doing a cut and paste. But here you go:

"A'ja Wilson is a center. She can shoot from 10-12 feet out, but she plays her best when she forces her way to the basket. She overpowers people in the post with her physique and use of force and uses an array of spin moves, foot pivots, other skills to score in the paint.

"And in terms of minutes, Wilson played over 30 mpg, with most of them as the center. When Laimbeer did start a default center (JiSu Park, for example), it clogged down the offense because of the lack of spacing and shooting."

(Link to my previous post: WNBA GM'S Mock Draft 2019)

I do not see Wilson working next to McCowan. Neither has the shot range. Brown has more range on her shot, but neither is a power forward (much less a stretch four). Brown would be a center who can hit an open mid-range jumper; neither has proven to be even a threat from three, much less competent enough to work a high/low game or have one or both rotate onto the perimeter. And frankly, in terms of Baylor players, I believe Lauren Cox would be a much better fit next to Wilson than Kalani Brown.

Before this year, I thought Napheesa Collier fit best next to Wilson. On August 27, 2018, I posted:
If I were AFO/Bill Laimbeer, I would consider trading a few spots down and looking at Napheesa Collier... Collier will fit well next to Wilson and has expanded range, passing abilities, good athleticism, and the ability to be a primary or secondary scorer (though she is only 6-1/6-2).

And on November 21, 2018, I posted:
Now, is Collier the best player in the draft? Maybe, maybe not.
But is Collier the best fit for Las Vegas, who has Plum/Jefferson at the point, McBride on the perimeter, and Wilson up front? Absolutely.

Collier's perimeter shooting has given me a little pause this year. I still think she will be a good fit next to Wilson. But I expected her game to develop more in terms of her outside shooting and prowess from the free throw line, not a step back. Still, she has proven she has the three in her offensive arsenal, and her mid-range jumper is still great. And as I mentioned before, she knows how to be effective and contribute as the #1 option or the #4 option, which is vital in the WNBA as a rookie (especially going to Las Vegas, which has Wilson as the established star and McBride as the clear #2 option right now).

And who knows what will happen? Heck, Bill Laimbeer could trade the #1 pick for a future #1 pick and lower 2019 pick to pick up someone like Alanna Smith.

Magbegor and Han Xu are also variables that will affect the overall board.

Not so much for Magbegor, at least as it pertains to Phoenix.

Mercury head coach Sandy Brondello is the head coach for the Opals, the Australian national team -- of which Ezi Magbegor and Alanna Smith were members for the 2018 FIBA World Cup.

If one or both players are available, I would be SHOCKED if HC Brondello and GM Jim Pittman took someone else.

Reaction Score
I had not realized that Jackie Young is draft eligible this year. That means ND may lose their entire starting 5. Next season will be one hell of a challenge for MM and the Irish.
They may have to find some distressed student athletes at another D1 school who need to transfer to ND and become immediately eligible to play as the only way for these student athletes to heal.

Reaction Score
Vegas is reportedly in trade talks for Cambage. That would indicate to a reasonable person that Laimbeer is in the market for a dominating center and he doesn’t consider Wilson a center.

I heard an interview from shortly before the Cambage trade talks in which Laimbeer shared what he was looking for in the draft. He stated (in order) a center, a scoring SF, and a SG. The names he brought up to possibly fill these spots were McCowan, Ionescu, and Durr. I suppose he could be bluffing about what he wants, but I’m not sure why he would feel the need. He has the #1 pick.

4F1D6959-2E5B-41E0-806F-5AFFA1F6DF27.jpeg

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Based on what Jewell said. African American athletes are not comfortable at ND. Their roster takes a huge hit with graduation. Jackie could stay and be the star on a team that will be unlikely to win in April. Or she could leave. I think she may do the latter.

I agree that Phoenix takes an Aussie if available. Both have length and talent. Smith has improved a lot in the past year.

I think what Geno said carries more weight than the draft prognosticators are giving it. Phee has a nonstop motor. She will always play hard, set a good example, and be a good teammate. She’ll be on a playoff team. Her 3-point shot is unproven. Her FT shot hit a slump, but her new practice motion has her on the right track. She shot 90% as a freshman. She should be 80-85% on FTs. She can handle the ball and plays like a 6’3” or taller player.

Lou may be the best 6’3” shooter in the league. Her midrange game and versatility make her a future All-Star. Her defense and rebounding are much improved. She has a high IQ. Pair her with another former Husky and she’ll star.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Based on what Jewell said. African American athletes are not comfortable at ND. Their roster takes a huge hit with graduation. Jackie could stay and be the star on a team that will be unlikely to win in April. Or she could leave. I think she may do the latter.
I call that the "Candace Parker" move: She bolted for the draft after her redshirt junior year as that blockbuster senior class of Tennessee's graduated in '08 (Hornbuckle, Anosike, Bobbitt) because she knew Tennessee would suck the following year. (And in fact they would lose in the 1st round to Ball State.)

I have no idea if Jackie would be influenced by a similar scenario, but there's little doubt that if she stayed she'd be by far the best player on an otherwise *very* inexperienced team.

Reaction Score
Cambage really wanted to go to LA, but Vegas might also suit her as well. The thing is that Cambage holds all the leverage in respect to where they trade her. If she doesn't like the trade she can threaten to sit out period. They know it's not a bluff because she has done it before. I don't think they can trade her to a team she doesn't want to go too. It's her way or they get nothing. Of course they could tank, and without Skyler or Cambage that would be easy but could they afford the loss of money from ticket sales for just even one season.

The only trade I could see happening with LA involves a three way with Chicago. Someone on Rebkill made a suggestion that made some sense. There was talk last season that Parker wanted to end her career in Chicago. So if she approved they could send her to Chicago, Cambage would go to LA and both LA's and Chicago's draft picks to Dallas. They could add a few other players as well such as Dolson. But the Parker would in essence be what LA would give up for Cambage. As iffy as Cambage is in respect to showing up I wouldn't give a key young player up for her. Parker is close to calling it quits anyway and her contract will soon be up.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I was thinking of Parker leaving with a year of eligibility left. So did Tuck. Of course she had a history of injuries so it made sense to start her pro career as soon as she could and not risk the possibility of getting injured again playing in college.

Reaction Score
I'll have whatever Mechelle Voepel is having lol. I read this list on ESPN and I said "I bet the Boneyard is having a field day." lol - Young, Arike, Ezi Macbegor, and Alanna Smith all before Pheesa and Lou. Puhleeez! I don't even think Young will declare early, but I think Ionescu will. I agree with the first four picks; Brown and McCowan are interchangeable. No way one of the two won't be picked fifth.

Jess Shepherd and Bri Turner will be first round. Those international players probably won't be picked in the first unless of course Mike Thibault picks them. He always makes an unexpected pick and develops them into all stars or really good players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She's going to make a major life decision because of a minor ankle sprain?
YES ---- its not the severity of the injury ---- its the reminder of "what if"

You have a player who has upper half 1st round talent this year, right now --- the coach is supposed to be telling her to go.

Look at the Bowl games in Football.......100% healthy guys don't dress if they have a shot in the draft

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

You have a player who has upper half 1st round talent this year, right now --- the coach is supposed to be telling her to go.

Look at the Bowl games in Football..100% healthy guys don't dress if they have a shot in the draft

There's no comparison between the NFL and WNBA. The pay is WILDLY different. The #10 pick in the NFL draft, Josh Rosen, got $17.5 million over 4 years guaranteed. Of course, they should do whatever is necessary to ensure that they are healthy on draft day.

A'ja Wilson got $52k last year. Yes, you can make six figures overseas. Look how much fun that is:

I would be very interested to know what the pay for a rookie playing overseas is. For example, how much Kelsey Plum made in Turkey last year. I think the teams that pay really big tend to want a proven commodity. You're not getting the really big money overseas as a rookie.

It cuts both ways. You could injure an ankle now and think "I should go pro and get paid while I can" or you can think "As a pro athlete, you're always one major injury from retirement. I need to make sure I have my degree to fall back on."

Reaction Score
Agree --- but ---then there's the old adage's ---"take the money and run" and "get while the gettin's good"

They can always finish up school.

Good odds though that Jewell, who does not appear bests buds with the coach, and not on anyone's fav alum list...would tell her bolt

Hmmm, Muffet or cash ? ---- I know what I'd do.

Reaction Score
Maybe the biggest argument for not declaring early (that I never see used by the “don’t declare early” crowd) is the fact that the players opted out of the current WNBA CBA, so a new one has to be agreed upon and set in place by the 2020 season. If the players and owners can’t come to an agreement for a new CBA by 2020, the players could strike, the owners could lock out, or the league could fold.

I personally don’t think any of that will happen, but it is a possibility. So it might becbest to go for the diploma and wait to see what happens with the new CBA.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well she knows from precedent that there's a price to pay if she does leave early: she'll be publicly Twitter-shamed by other ND alums and blocked by Muffet.

Well Jewell Loyd showed you can flourish outside the incubator of the university. Of course she landed on perhaps the best team possible for her development under Sue and Stewie but if a player can be drafted in the 1st round already, it pretty much means that the level of improvement and skills you can develop is not that much greater.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

Look at the Bowl games in Football..100% healthy guys don't dress if they have a shot in the draft
Did Geno tell Pheesa to go pro last Spring? Did he tell Azura to go pro? I don't know for sure, but it seems pretty unlikely. Azura already had completed her degree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom