Mechelle Voepel: Griner leads POY race | The Boneyard

Mechelle Voepel: Griner leads POY race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Betcha didn't know that msf22b has the original box of chocolates from Forrest Gump!

Reaction Score
If Baylor goes undefeated for the regular season, Griner will run away with the award (and deservedly so).

Reaction Score
I hope so! EDD i
I betchya its EDD
I hope so! She is far more talented and skilled than Griner. Would love to see a Griner/EDD face off much more then Delaware play UCONN.

Reaction Score
Griner is the most dominant player in women's college basketball. She has performed well against all comers including Uconn and Notre Dame. NPOYs have come from the dominant large schools in the hunt for the national championship. Maybe EDD will win it next season, but not this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if this is a year where the awards get split between two or three players. By the time votes are cast, there will probably be only two losses between the three this year.
On a personal numbers basis: EDD will blow the other two away and she might get the 'back story' nod.
On a team and competition level BG, undefeated, #1 rank and highest SOS will clearly lead.
And on a fire and determination level maybe the nod goes to NO and she gets the 'senior' nod.
I think they are all great candidates and would find it really hard to choose. Sort of like Tina's senior year, when I was happy that she and Maya split the awards, I think it would be fitting that they get split this year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno has said several times that the best player on the best team should be POY.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if this is a year where the awards get split between two or three players. By the time votes are cast, there will probably be only two losses between the three this year.
On a personal numbers basis: EDD will blow the other two away and she might get the 'back story' nod.
On a team and competition level BG, undefeated, #1 rank and highest SOS will clearly lead.
And on a fire and determination level maybe the nod goes to NO and she gets the 'senior' nod.
I think they are all great candidates and would find it really hard to choose. Sort of like Tina's senior year, when I was happy that she and Maya split the awards, I think it would be fitting that they get split this year.
Nneka might win the Wade because of some of the off-court components of the award. I see Griner winning the AP pretty easily. I have little doubt that Griner could put up the kind of stats EDD does if she played for Delaware.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sorry, it's a 3-person race. Skylar is on the next tier, with Sims et al.

I'm surprised at how low Nneks is in that poll. The Cardinal could have 3-4 losses (or more) without her stellar play.

I'd put it at Griner 40, Nneka 30, Elena 30.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
EDD might win WBCA POY. Griner will win all others if Baylor goes undefeated.

Reaction Score
Here's my best guess how the voting would go.Looking at the geographical vote split. I would expect Ogwumike to do best in the west and much weaker in the middle and eastern part of the country. Griner will get at least a not insignificant number of votes in the west, dominate in the central part of the country and compete in the east for most votes. I would expect EDD to get few votes in the west, some in the middle and a portion possibly a major number in the east. I would expect Griner to prevail.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here's my best guess how the voting would go.Looking at the geographical vote split. I would expect Ogwumike to do best in the west and much weaker in the middle and eastern part of the country. Griner will get at least a not insignificant number of votes in the west, dominate in the central part of the country and compete in the east for most votes. I would expect EDD to get few votes in the west, some in the middle and a portion possibly a major number in the east. I would expect Griner to prevail.
Who wins the Connecticut vote?

Reaction Score
Griner should win the POY as she is the most dominant player in WBB and she is the best player on the best team (which I hope will change in the NC game:)). EDD and Nneka are probably more skilled and more complete as basketball players but it will be wrong if Griner does not win the award IMO.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
EDD is a superior offensive player than Griner but Griner is the clearly superior defensive game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom