Meanwhile | The Boneyard

Meanwhile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
And by the way.....I was at the hockey game and it was awesome. Besides BB, the best I have felt rooting for a UC team in quite some time. It was quite a game.

Reaction Score
And, UCONN tied the better Boston school, former # 5 BU, 4-4 OT. Cavanaugh has a hot goalie, Rob Nichols, and a Huskies' team playing hard and smart. It sure doesn't hurt to be well-coached. Go UCONN!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It's startling the difference between hockey (Cavanaugh keeps quiet, installs a system, team has incredible discipline, using 8 fewer scholarships than the rest of the conference, playing in the hockey version of the SEC) and football (giant advantages over rest of conference that we all know and well then theres on the field and coaching).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It's startling the difference between hockey (Cavanaugh keeps quiet, installs a system, team has incredible discipline, using 8 fewer scholarships than the rest of the conference, playing in the hockey version of the SEC) and football (giant advantages over rest of conference that we all know and well then theres on the field and coaching).
Please enlighten me on the giant advantages that we have over the rest of the conference.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Please enlighten me on the giant advantages that we have over the rest of the conference.

-State and institutional support, financially and as a fan base that no other program can match.
- Stadium/ Facilities that are better or on par with the rest of the league.
- Were recently in a BCS league with success/ victories over many current P5 teams.
-Far superior academic school than the majority of community colleges in the league.

The only inherent disadvantage UConn should have on any team in this league is home recruiting base.

One horrendous hire in P and one let's say after almost one year, questionable hire in Diaco, doesn't change the above at all.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Do you think that UConn has no advantages over Tulane or Tulsa?

The guy who gushes over hoops schools like DePaul, St John's and Seton Hall is now knocking Tulane & Tulsa? I would love to know what color the sky is in the world you live in.

I will play along however (and to make it easier for your position, act as if the only other two schools in the conference are Tulane and Tulsa). We are in the process of finishing a ten year stretch with four (yes four) winning seasons. That stretch happens to encompass the best football, in terms of sustained success that we've ever played. Somehow this entitles us to look down at other schools, schools that have accomplished basically much as we have over the recent past and far more than we could ever have dreamed of prior to our decision to try to play football at the highest level.

If you were to spend any time outside of the college football hotbed that is the northeast you will find the majority of people (including high school players looking to continue onto college) know far more of what Tulane and Tulsa have accomplished in football than what Connecticut has.

Do we have advantages over those schools (and while we are at it, over the remainder of our conference)? Yes, some, but in aggregate there are more disadvantages, beginning with history and ending with recruiting territory (the latter being akin to 'aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?").

We are going to need a much larger recruiting budget than nearly all of our conference as (save possibly Memphis) no other school needs to travel very far to find quite a bit of talent. The two Florida schools, the two Texas schools, Cincinnati and Temple all have more talent within a 40 minute drive of their campus than we have in all of New England and NY State. ECU, Tulsa and Tulane may need to add another half hour to that drive.

Can we reach the point where we are clearly and consistently ahead of all other AAC schools in football? I believe we can but this will take a bit more time than the ten months that our current head coach has had to turn things around. To get there we also will need to be better (I believe we are) in almost every aspect of running a program. This won't turn around overnight but it will happen.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The guy who gushes over hoops schools like DePaul, St John's and Seton Hall is now knocking Tulane & Tulsa? I would love to know what color the sky is in the world you live in.

I will play along however (and to make it easier for your position, act as if the only other two schools in the conference are Tulane and Tulsa). We are in the process of finishing a ten year stretch with four (yes four) winning seasons. That stretch happens to encompass the best football, in terms of sustained success that we've ever played. Somehow this entitles us to look down at other schools, schools that have accomplished basically much as we have over the recent past and far more than we could ever have dreamed of prior to our decision to try to play football at the highest level.

If you were to spend any time outside of the college football hotbed that is the northeast you will find the majority of people (including high school players looking to continue onto college) know far more of what Tulane and Tulsa have accomplished in football than what Connecticut has.

Do we have advantages over those schools (and while we are at it, over the remainder of our conference)? Yes, some, but in aggregate there are more disadvantages, beginning with history and ending with recruiting territory (the latter being akin to 'aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?").

We are going to need a much larger recruiting budget than nearly all of our conference as (save possibly Memphis) no other school needs to travel very far to find quite a bit of talent. The two Florida schools, the two Texas schools, Cincinnati and Temple all have more talent within a 40 minute drive of their campus than we have in all of New England and NY State. ECU, Tulsa and Tulane may need to add another half hour to that drive.

Can we reach the point where we are clearly and consistently ahead of all other AAC schools in football? I believe we can but this will take a bit more time than the ten months that our current head coach has had to turn things around. To get there we also will need to be better (I believe we are) in almost every aspect of running a program. This won't turn around overnight but it will happen.

You make the most important point about why UConn is a difficult job. The absolute lack of natural recruiting grounds is a huge barrier to real success.

Tulane and Tulsa can be called out because there was no reason to add them to the league.

As far as Waylon's obsession with the Big East... it's not as stark as he makes it but it's a better basketball league than the AAC. To Pudge's shagrin I'll point out that St John's
offers good value this year on a futures bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom