MD gets more money | The Boneyard

MD gets more money

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Why in the world would the big 10 do that ? They are offering upwards of $20,000,000 annually more than they are making in the ACC but need to also offer to subsidies their travel? If true, the big 10 isn't nearly as smart as we thought. I'm guessing the additional 20 mil would have been enticement enough.

Reaction Score
Either that or the b1g has access to an incredible revenue stream and they care about their members.

Reaction Score
This is the difference between being coveted ((Maryland) and begging (WV).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My guess is it is a legally better way to help them with the buyout. If it was called Buy Out Money maybe they could been tampering ot something. It sounds like a lump sum which woundn't be necessary for annual travel.
Agree. If they labeled it as buy out reimbursement they be putting an effective floor on any negotiation to reduce the price.

Reaction Score
Another reason I think it isn't really travel assistance is the B1G doesn't offer it to other members. Do you really think a a conference that shares revenues would give preferential treatment to a new comer. I would also guess why the actual number isn't set is neither has the buyout.

Reaction Score
Another reason I think it isn't really travel assistance is the B1G doesn't offer it to other members. Do you really think a a conference that shares revenues would give preferential treatment to a new comer. I would also guess why the actual number isn't set is neither has the buyout.

Agreed... Turtle U didn't have a pot to pee in per se for exit fee (future revenue versus current deficit w/o buy-out).

>>Rutgers has also studied the implications of Big Ten travel and is exploring creative solutions, but apparently not subsidies. Most college teams' travel budgets aren't subsidized by conferences."I don't think it's so much about subsidies," Rutgers athletic director Tim Pernetti said Thursday. "We were comfortable from the beginning that the revenues are going to equitably address the travel situation. With certain sports like football, we charter-traveled to every game, so football will really look the same. Basketball, there will be some more [travel], but nonconference scheduling will balance that out."<<

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I posted this on the B1G board but prob belongs here.

huskymedic said:
Wowsa...

Jeff Barker (@sunjeffbarker)
3/15/13, 10:36 PM
Exclusive: Maryland-Big Ten deal included multimillion-dollar travel subsidy from conference. #Terps #B1G

http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-74844333/
They only reason for the B1G to concede that much loot to the twerps is because they are serious about cracking the UNC nut.

Reaction Score
Rutgers wasn't offer help with their buyout hence no travel assistance.

Reaction Score
i think it suggests the acc isnt as vulnerable as expected and the next schools just got a lot more expensive.
maybe uconn will be seen as a value play...
Plenty of B1G people are pro-UConn. It certainly would help to have more east coast schools. UNC fans want the SEC over the B1G, by FAR.

Are our Rutgers "friends" even going to promote us for a rivalry or are they scared of us being on an equal playing field?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Is this "travel subsidy" really just a cover for the Big Ten to help pay down the ACC exit fee?

Reaction Score
Is this "travel subsidy" really just a cover for the Big Ten to help pay down the ACC exit fee?
I would say so. Considering Rutgers didn't get any "travel subsidy" and have to travel just as much.

Reaction Score
I am a B1G alum that is in favor of UCONN for cultural reasons. I do not want two more eastern schools though. Just one more Also, who would want to be the 5th eastern school in the door Someone will not be the same "POD" with with the other eastern schools. Does UCONN want to be number 5 and be in a POD with I'll, NW and MSU while Rut, MD and #4 are together with Penn State?

Reaction Score
I am a B1G alum that is in favor of UCONN for cultural reasons. I do not want two more eastern schools though. Just one more Also, who would want to be the 5th eastern school in the door Someone will not be the same "POD" with with the other eastern schools. Does UCONN want to be number 5 and be in a POD with I'll, NW and MSU while Rut, MD and #4 are together with Penn State?
UVA, UConn, Rutgers and UMD can have their own "pod". Penn State can join Ohio State, Indiana, etc. Thank you for your support.

Who knows if it'll even be pods. Can be 8 school divisions.

Reaction Score
Penn State wants to be in an Eastern POD. They will be before a new comer.

Reaction Score
I would guess rotating PODs. The AD's and Delany have stated multiple times they want to play more of each other. Two 8 teams divisions does not get Neb, Iowa or Minn to the East coast for exposure.

Just so you know I am in favor of the inner/outer division so my Gophers and Hawks get east coast exposure for recruiting.

Reaction Score
However it all works out, it seems certain that there will two more east coast schools added. Nice to see a Minnesota/Iowa fan (or alum) supporting us. Spread the word we make a good vacation spot.

Reaction Score
Seems to me this has everything to do with sweetening the deals to pry loose another ACC school. Penn State was treated like a red-headed stepchild by the B1G. The B1G always has ulterior motives. Nebraska too was greeted with a firm kick in the butt.

As for McMillen, he shouldn't fool himself. It is nearly impossible to be a bball player and student in the spring--travel is practically irrelevant. These kids should simply NOT be full time students in the spring. The schools need to make other concessions for them.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

To answer your question, we will join the Westernmost division of the B1G to get out of this mess. Seriously :)

Reaction Score
Already told my wife we are going to a Minn vs Rut game and making a weekend of it.

Reaction Score
I think Mizzu could be enticed to jump(my opinion). They would fit better culturally and the money is a wash between the SEC and B1G. I think SEC fans would take up a collection plate for the B1G if we took them off their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom