McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return | Page 5 | The Boneyard

McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If RE accomplished close to what Snyder had during his first run, I would think differently about this possibility. If RE had done close to what Petrino did in his first Louisville run during his first run here I would also view the idea in a more positive manner.

RE is not some game changing hire (unless perpetually finishing between second and fourth in the AAC east is what we want the game changed to).
He won the big east twice with a team that had just recently transitioned to 1A for Chris sakes

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'd rather still have Diaco to be completely honest. If all we were going to do was basically admit we're small-time and quit then I'd rather just keep him here for his 4th year.
I'm not sure Edsall's worst game ever compared to Diaco's best, sans his victory over a ranked Houston last year. The only game where Diaco's squad looked Randy-esque.

I'm still hoping for Moorhead or Miles.

Reaction Score
For the life of me, in all seriousness, I fail to see the attraction of this guy. Win some football games? Diaco did that. I'd like to win a lot of football games. Don't believe Edsall is the coach to do that. If these donors as some have postulated put money up to get rid of Diaco and in return get their wish to have Edsall come back, then we as the fans are in a lot of trouble.

His last four years at UConn, Edsall averaged 8.25 wins a year. The six years without him, our 2 permanent and 1 interim head coach have combined averaged 4.0 wins a year. Edsall's record is approximately 106% better. If you think there is no big deal about doing 106% better in something, I sure hope you don't ever run a business or a division.

Reaction Score
Name one player he threw under the bus. Just one. He talked a lot about needing to execute better and in particular the first play against Navy at the Rent when the secondary bit on the fake after being coached up all week to watch the fake on the first play. But he never threw a player under the bus.

At Maryland he blamed the players all the time. I did not keep a list.

Also he was hysterical on the sideline and got in players face after a bad play.... not saying he should coddle them, but Randy always went overboard

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edsall won ore than 8 here.

Edsall failed big time at Maryland. I'm not asking for him to be rehired -- I would have to understand much better than I do why he failed at Maryland so badly to consider it. But I firmly believe -- always have -- that people have thought what he achieved here was easy when it was exremely difficult, and that it's just as likely that future coaches achieve at the P/Diacco levels than the Edsall levels. But feel free to just go on blaming bad hiring (not you SDH). People want us to hire a Calhoun -- it's incredibly unlikely.
No one could argue Diaco was anything BUT a bad hire. Didn't know when to call a timeout, couldn't get plays in on time, no punt returns. The guy struggled with the basics of fielding a team. Look at how he recruited the QB position, and treated the redshirt of Williams. We see coaches win big at Northern Illinois and Western Michigan.

Edsall is lights out better than Diaco in every category but what happened at Maryland wasn't a fluke. He is a solid, competent Coach. Similar to Schiano, Graham, Mason, Chan Gailey etc. At most schools those types eventually wear out their welcome. Here they could stay forever. Nothing wrong with that.

Reaction Score
I don't post here often but I would like to weigh in on the possibility of Randy coming back. First of all, I would be thrilled. I understand the anger many still hold about the way he left and I felt the same way for a time. The back story though is that in his contract, when we made it to a BCS bowl he contract was to automatically be renegotiated. After we got in the Fiesta bowl his agent reached out to our AD WEEKS before the game and was rebuffed numerous times. Finally, one week before the game they wanted to talk and Randy said no because he had a game to prepare for! That was the final straw and he told his people to talk seriously with MD. I also know that the way his team found out is the biggest regret of his career. He acquiesced to MD's wishes on the announcement and it was a mistake.

Secondly, I think the belief that his hire automatically means a boring offense is not necessarily true. At MD they ran a spread offense that fit their personnel. I think back to the Orlovsky days and we were anything but conservative. I know one thing for sure, we will be prepared and fiasco's like the Tulane game won't happen.

Finally, and this is personal, Randy will restore and protect the legacy and importance of Jazz and his teammates. He is why we were able to get that statue done in 6 months! I have resisted posting any of the problems I had with Diaco regarding this and the way BD paid lip service at best to our history. He said a number of things publicly but he wanted to pretend like this was his program to build, as if any success from the past didn't exist. He refused to embrace those teams that built us into the fastest rising FBS team in history. A quick example is this years awards ceremony. The Jasper Howard award did not go to Jhavon Williams. This is no slight to Noel Thomas who is a great young man and deserves every other accolade he receives, but Jhavon came here because of Jazz. He asked Jazz's family for permission to wear the number. He started 41 straight games and did so with Jazz's legacy in mind. That award belonged to him, and BD was either incredibly tone deaf or actively ignored what the award was meant to be about.

Randy will embrace all that was and should be remembered about our history. I believe that this may be exactly the perfect hire to reconnect to what Connecticut football should be about. Maybe there will be a second act in UConn history.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with him getting hired again. At least he has a proven track record of getting it done here. Everybody else is a question mark. I say forgive previous mistakes and have him back.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
You guys want to hire another Broyles award winner with no HC experience? That worked out great last time.

The only time UConn football was relevant, Randy was coach. The only time. The competition is significantly worse in our joke of a conference, so it should help him build a program and stay here.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Edsall would be the 5th option for me if Miles and Moorehead and Houston turn it down. Not exciting but he would bring us to respectability and you can guarantee he wouldn't leave after a few years like some hot shots candidates probably would. With that said, Benedict needs to pursue those other guys and if he can't get them or even Golden, then go with Edsall. However, I will say this. If Edsall is hired, I won't be getting season tickets but if Miles or Moorehead is, I'm signing up for three that day.

Last edited:

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
At Maryland he blamed the players all the time. I did not keep a list.

Also he was hysterical on the sideline and got in players face after a bad play.... not saying he should coddle them, but Randy always went overboard
Jim Calhoun was known to be over the top, won 3 national championships. These kids need that once in a while.

Reaction Score
His last four years at UConn, Edsall averaged 8.25 wins a year. The six years without him, our 2 permanent and 1 interim head coach have combined averaged 4.0 wins a year. Edsall's record is approximately 106% better. If you think there is no big deal about doing 106% better in something, I sure hope you don't ever run a business or a division.

Reaction Score

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He is known. He had success here. Not as much as people think, but twould conference titles and a BCS bid in 6 years is more than anyone else on the list.

Pure prodigal son stuff and no guarantee of anything other than we know he'd be committed here.

Where's that stiff drink, it's getting a little dusty in here.

Reaction Score
If Randy does come back, wait for the culture shock to create some fall out. I would say Diaco and Edsall are as close to polar opposites, in terms of coaching styles, as you can get.

The "love fest" would be over. I'm thinking more than a few players could use a wake up call.

Reaction Score
I'm not on board with Edsall. I not sure he would be able to coach against some of the offenses in the AAC. Of I remember correctly, Edsall teams couldn't handle mobile qbs and option based offenses. Look what WVU, Louisville (under Petrino not Kragthorpe) even USF in the beginning. Edsall would get blown away by the high powered offenses the AAC has. Edsall would be just another failure to add to a growing list at this point.

Reaction Score
You guys want to hire another Broyles award winner with no HC experience? That worked out great last time.

The only time UConn football was relevant, Randy was coach. The only time. The competition is significantly worse in our joke of a conference, so it should help him build a program and stay here.
The competition is not worse. Scratch that off your list.

Reaction Score
If Randy does come back, wait for the culture shock to create some fall out. I would say Diaco and Edsall are as close to polar opposites, in terms of coaching styles, as you can get.

The "love fest" would be over. I'm thinking more than a few players could use a wake up call.

There will be a ton of attrition if Edsall is the guy. From what I've heard he's a love him or hate him guy. He's by no means a players coach, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom