McGraw & her team's mettle should not be underestimated | The Boneyard

McGraw & her team's mettle should not be underestimated

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Remember in the 2017-18 season Notre Dame was beaten 80-71 on 3 December by UCONN and was totally blown out by Louisville (100-67) on 11 January. Then on 4 March they lost to Louisville again but this time score was 74-72. Yet McGraw rallied her team to beat UCONN and Miss St. to win the NCAA championship. No matter how battered their psyche was, they recovered to be champs. This isn't over.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt you are correct about this. They will be a force to reckon with for the remainder of the season. It's not like we blew them out. The lead was still single digits until about five minutes left, then with all the foul shots we were able to put it out of reach. If Ogunbowale doesn't get stupid there at the end, who knows what could have happened. Five minutes is an eternity when you're playing an opponent that can pile up points in a hurry like ND. Let's say UConn goes up 10-12 points, and Mabrey2 comes down and knocks in a three followed by a Shepard bucket and one, next thing you know it, it's a two possession game with 3-4 minutes left. That's how most of the game went. Every time UConn looked like they were going to pull away, they countered and closed to within a bucket. So glad this didn't end up as another final possession game as we haven't had much luck with those recently.

Reaction Score
I agree with you guys.

ND is not going away.

Methinks, though, that we will get so much better. MW hasn't scratched the surface of her talent. I am waiting for her breakout game. Wait until she crashes the boards as a matter of habit. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Every season is different. ND has shown they are not the invincible force everyone made them out to be. They have shown that in a few of their previous games as well. Frankly it seems that there might be more than a few teams who are capable of winning the NCAA's this season with no team clearly that much better that they would be able to coast through a bad performance ( or player stupidity) based purely on that superiority. Match ups should play a key role.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I tend to disagree a little bit on this. If ND continues to let #24 get away with the elbows and body slams that she did yesterday, then she will be watched by not only the Conference but also the NCAA when it comes to the officiating. If she happens to do anything like she did yesterday during the tournament she may get suspended by the NCAA for a game or two.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Yup and I am going to enjoy the march to March and not give ND another thought. You can be assured that they will be a top seed, either a 1 or 2, no matter how they do the rest of the season. Granted that they will probably win the ACC regular season and/or tournament. But we should care less about them and only focus on the next game.

Reaction Score
ND will be very good, and they will be in the Final Four, I'm pretty sure, and assuming no major injuries happen, they will be healthier by then. They have the potential to be a really good team and will be highly motivated, especially Arike. Does any of this sound familiar, folks?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
ND is not going away. However, they have to deal with that big BULL"S EYE on their back. Not as easy to deal with as you think. Yesterday was their first lesson.

ND has a lot of work to do. Shepard and Turner are not meshing well, yet. Not sure they will. With the advantage of Turner and Shepard, the guards are not getting the ball into the low post. Arike and Marina are gunners. They always have and always will be. When ND gets behind, they go to their gunners. Bad plan against really good teams.

Muffet has got her work cut out for her. ND should make the final 4, as should we. Time will tell for both teams.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I agree with you guys.
ND is not going away.
Methinks, though, that we will get so much better. MW hasn't scratched the surface of her talent. I am waiting for her breakout game. Wait until she crashes the boards as a matter of habit. :rolleyes:

I agree with your thoughts. Walker will get better although I must admit she is the one player that mystifies me. She must play a mean game of poker. ;) Nelson-Ododa will get much better as she gains confidence with more playing time. It comes from whom? Phee? Walker? Hopefully Coombs gets a confidence boost some how and become the 7th player in the rotation. Irwin will help games which don't feature an elite team.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Every season is different. ND has shown they are not the invincible force everyone made them out to be. They have shown that in a few of their previous games as well. Frankly it seems that there might be more than a few teams who are capable of winning the NCAA's this season with no team clearly that much better that they would be able to coast through a bad performance ( or player stupidity) based purely on that superiority. Match ups should play a key role.

Miss St., Louisville, and Baylor will be tough tests for any team.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Yup and I am going to enjoy the march to March and not give ND another thought. You can be assured that they will be a top seed, either a 1 or 2, no matter how they do the rest of the season. Granted that they will probably win the ACC regular season and/or tournament. But we should care less about them and only focus on the next game.
Yep, you have to focus on your own efforts until you play them again then the focus is on their scout.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
When ND gets behind, they go to their gunners. Bad plan against really good teams.

Yeah, they move to street ball all to quickly. When McGraw's primo freshmen develop she may have the luxury of sitting down her gunners when they get out of hand.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Did anyone actually think they were an invincible force? Sure, they were the favorite coming into the on paper, mostly based off the fact that they squeezed out a title and returned almost everyone, but I don't think many women's basketball fans were surprised by the outcome Sunday.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Remember in the 2017-18 season Notre Dame was beaten 80-71 on 3 December by UCONN and was totally blown out by Louisville (100-67) on 11 January. Then on 4 March they lost to Louisville again but this time score was 74-72. Yet McGraw rallied her team to beat UCONN and Miss St. to win the NCAA championship. No matter how battered their psyche was, they recovered to be champs. This isn't over.
It isn't over, but did you see the look on Muffet and her players faces in the second half? It seemed to me that they were resigned to the fact that they were going to lose and there nothing that they could do to stop it. Agree though there are a lot of games to go and Muffet did an amazing job overcoming adversity last year.

Reaction Score
They have the pieces to make another run if they play up to their potential.

Reaction Score
We've all heard lots of hype every year about Brianna Turner, but I question whether she is the asset so many believe she should/would be or if she is the type player who, for whatever reason, diminishes the team as a whole.

That also seemed to be the case for Diamond DeShields where ever she happened to be playing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is definitely not over for ND but I like UCONN's chances in a rematch much more than I liked UCONN's chances going into Sunday's game. ND has lost games to UCONN before. On Sunday night ND lost its composure. That will definitely carry over to the rematch if there is to be one.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I tend to disagree a little bit on this. If ND continues to let #24 get away with the elbows and body slams that she did yesterday, then she will be watched by not only the Conference but also the NCAA when it comes to the officiating. If she happens to do anything like she did yesterday during the tournament she may get suspended by the NCAA for a game or two.
Actually, I subscribe to the Star theory. If a player puts fannies in the seats or eyes on the TV, they are pretty much immune to suspension. But I applaud your thoughts and the fact that you did not let the almighty dollar interfere with your stating the correct response

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
We've all heard lots of hype every year about Brianna Turner, but I question whether she is the asset so many believe she should/would be or if she is the type player who, for whatever reason, diminishes the team as a whole.

That also seemed to be the case for Diamond DeShields where ever she happened to be playing.

Well considering she has been injured for all 5 years she's been at ND...you can't really fault her for that:
Fr-missed UCONN game and several others with shoulder problems
So-again missed UCONN game with shoulder issues
Jr-tore ACL in tournament, team has a great shot to win it all if she's healthy
Sr-out all year with ACL
Super Sr-no injuries yet as of early December

She's definitely not the type of player whose presence diminishes returns. This year the chemistry is different with her in the roster, but she as hugely important to the success of the previous 3 teams she was on. If you go the diminishing route, you could easily argue that DT's presence in 2001 had a diminishing effect on the team after they won it all but most players ended up having worse seasons in 2001 than in 2000.

I don't think anyone has been hyping her up this year other than saying she could be a difference maker in the front court for ND.

Last year Notre Dame had great chemistry and caught fire. Everyone who contributed knew they didn't have a plausible backup and had to rise to the occasion, so they did. Playing in adversity like that can cause players like to elevate their game, and it definitely did for ND last year.

This year her presence does change the chemistry a lot...for better or worse remains to be seen. The biggest impact is that she effectively moves Shepard out of the low post where she was a stud last year, and ND is lacking a "do all the little things" type of player in Westbeld. Turner definitely adds a defensive presence that was missing, but the high low action and figuring out where Shepard plays alongside Turner is going to take time.

Kind of a weird fact, but in general, adding great players from a championship (or championship caliber) team that already returns its best 4-5 players traditionally leads to worse teams:
1998 Tennessee ran the table, returned everyone and brought in Michelle Snow....ended up with 3 losses and out in the Elite 8.

2000 UCONN went 36-1 and won it all. Next year they return everyone and add in DT but had 3 losses (including one where they were blown out at full strength)

2003 UCONN went 37-1 and won it all. Next year they weren't as good even though they won it all, they had 4 losses with the same roster and were just a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

2012 Baylor went 40-0 and won it all. Returned everyone, went 34-2 and lost in the Sweet 16.

2016 Notre Dame returned everyone from a very strong 33-2 year and went 33-4 in 2017.

2017 UCONN went 36-1, nearly won it all. Returned all major contributors and added Stevens, had the same result and arguably weren't as good in 2018.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree with you guys.

ND is not going away.

Megan's career high is 19 pts against St. Francis last year during the tournament. I'm not so sure that wasn't her break out game. Perhaps you're waiting for a 30 point game, no? I do expect Megan to break her career scoring mark at some point this season. With 23 games left, I'm guessing she'll be in a zone (the basket looks the size of a "hula hoop", and everything you throw up goes in), in at least one of them, and eclipse the 30 point mark. We know that game is coming, the only question is when? ;)

Reaction Score
I mean when I thought about it, I would have put money on UConn. To bballnut90's point, just because everyone is back doesn't make you the best. Turner being back changed there offense and now and Shepard have to learn to play together.

I would UConn's 1 & 2 are much more athletic and quicker than ND's 1 & 2. Lou creates and odd matchup for anyone because of her mobility and range for 6'3. I have never been that sold on Shepard, but I do believe she needs a really good coach and she has one. Turner is still adjusting to missing a full year, so it may take a little bit for her to get back to her old ways.

I just think UConn out hustled and used their athleticism to there advantage. They executed there game plan, and they played fearlessly.

However, I totally agree with this post. If you burn Muffet once in a season and she gets another chance you better come ready, because it will not easier the 2nd time for sure.

Reaction Score
Did anyone actually think they were an invincible force? Sure, they were the favorite coming into the on paper, mostly based off the fact that they squeezed out a title and returned almost everyone, but I don't think many women's basketball fans were surprised by the outcome Sunday.
They made them the concensus # 1 team. They put them in the same category that some past Uconn teams were placed. It wasn't just against Uconn in their last game that they looked vulnerable, but in some of their previous games as well. Yes Uconn winning was not a shock, most fans thought that Uconn was a team that could beat them. It was just on how ND lost. That combined with their showing in some of their previous games.

I think you are correct in your assessment on why they were rated so highly, but counter to your belief, except for some fans posting on the Boneyard,most bought into it. Most fans did not expect the result that transpired in the Uconn vis ND game. They expected ND to win, not Uconn, especially not as easily as they did. It wasn't just that they over rated ND but also that they underrated Uconn.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
ND is not going away. However, they have to deal with that big BULL"S EYE on their back. Not as easy to deal with as you think. Yesterday was their first lesson.

ND has a lot of work to do. Shepard and Turner are not meshing well, yet. Not sure they will. With the advantage of Turner and Shepard, the guards are not getting the ball into the low post. Arike and Marina are gunners. They always have and always will be. When ND gets behind, they go to their gunners. Bad plan against really good teams.

Muffet has got her work cut out for her. ND should make the final 4, as should we. Time will tell for both teams.

An excellent observation, thanks huskeynut. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom