McGee hired at UAB | The Boneyard

McGee hired at UAB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One of our finalists Ark O Coordinater Garrick McGee just got hired at UAB.

Assuming it came down to PP and him. How on earth would anyone hire PP. Did anyone see the ESPN year of the QB feature with him? He should have been our coach.

Hiring PP was a classic UConn football tactic under Edsall. Playing not to lose. McGee was the right choice.

Reaction Score
Maybe, will be interesting to see how he does down there.

For now, JH left us with this guy:

Paul_Pasqualoni.jpg

Embrace it.

Reaction Score
Well, getting hired by UAB doesn't necessarily recommend him now, does it?

Reaction Score
It's clear he has the capability to be a HC is what it shows.

JH was sitting there with a 60 year old former big east coach with a stale pro style offense or a young SEC star coordinater with one of the best offenses in CFB.

We went with PP because he has connections with CT HS head coaches.....WHAT!?

Reaction Score
It's clear he has the capability to be a HC is what it shows.

JH was sitting there with a 60 year old former big east coach with a stale pro style offense or a young SEC star coordinater with one of the best offenses in CFB.

We went with PP because he has connections with CT HS head coaches.....WHAT!?

Just like the UConn offense. Vanilla

Reaction Score
are you actually trying to say that UAB hiring McGee proves we made a mistake by not hiring him? he may or may not be good, but UAB hiring him doesn't mean anything other than he couldnt' get a job at a BCS or even top shelf CUSA team.

Reaction Score
McGee would have been a thinking-out-of-the-box hire, something the 1-man hiring committee w/zero oversight was incapable of.
Would be surprised if PP gets to third year if he doesn't win 8 next yr. Herbst doesn't seem like type to settle for mediocrity.
And for the love of pete, pls keep the CT HS coaches out of process next time.

Reaction Score
Why do we have a post to say that one of our coaching candidates got a job at UAB? C'mon UAB. The mecca of college coaching, that UAB.

Reaction Score
Ruskin you hit the McGee thing right square on the head. As fasr as P not making it past yr 2...because of buyout $$$$ unless things get worse next year (we go 2-10 to 0-12 without any major injuries which I can't see happening) he is here for 3 years minimum. If after yr 3 he hasn't won more than 7 or 8 games with the same sloppy on the field product he may want to think about calling a realtor to list his house.

McGee would have been a thinking-out-of-the-box hire, something the 1-man hiring committee w/zero oversight was incapable of.
Would be surprised if PP gets to third year if he doesn't win 8 next yr. Herbst doesn't seem like type to settle for mediocrity.
And for the love of pete, pls keep the CT HS coaches out of process next time.

Reaction Score
I agree. Isn't the SEC the conference right now? I bet getting recruits that are event the 3rd or 4th choice Alabama or Arkansas would still be better than having connections with CT coaches.

Reaction Score
PP or McGee - regardless, UConn would have performed similarly. I doubt McGee would have magically turned McEntee into Dan Orlovsky.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
McGee wasn't first on my list of HC candidates last winter (Cristobal was) but I was intrigued with him and saw the only drawbacks being that given his background we likely would have been merely a stepping stone in his eyes and as he had no northeast connections, it could have taken him a bit of time to establish recruiting ties. That said, I would not have been upset with his hire and when I saw him on an ESPN show on Arkansas (about a month ago) I was very impressed with the manner in which he broke down what they tried to do on offense depending on defensive sets, situaitons, etc. Over time he could have helped us quite a bit.

I believed from the minute it was rumored Pasqualoni was a candidate (after the search already began) that McGee was being used merely a means for JH to fly to Dallas without tipping his hand on interviewing Pasqualoni. I heard something even more disturbing about JH's thought process yesterday which makes me even happier than I had been that JH is gone.

Back to topic, McGee getting the UAB job doesn't demonstrate anything (in terms of whether we did or did not make a mistake). His performance at UAB (and likely his subsequent job) will show something. He is a very good offensive mind and he would have been a very creative hire. Creativity wasn't one of JH's strong suits.

Reaction Score
I think this guy may turn out to be a rising star, but saying he is the OC for Arkansas is like saying Romeo Crennel was the DC for Belichik. He is apparently a good recruiter, with ties in the south. UAB sounds like a good place for him to really prove himself.

Reaction Score
I like GM and wishhim well. Let's just say your facts are a wee bit off. But, hey it's the internwet, so let em rip

Reaction Score
PP or McGee - regardless, UConn would have performed similarly. I doubt McGee would have magically turned McEntee into Dan Orlovsky.

Maybe not but he would probably have turned McEntee into a better McEntee. He might have been able to make him a little bit successful and ,if not him, one of the other QB's. Difference between McGee and PP or FHCRE is that he doesn't see the offensive game as merely a means to giving the defense a breather on the bench before getting them back onto the field.

Reaction Score
Maybe not but he would probably have turned McEntee into a better McEntee. He might have been able to make him a little bit successful and ,if not him, one of the other QB's. Difference between McGee and PP or FHCRE is that he doesn't see the offensive game as merely a means to giving the defense a breather on the bench before getting them back onto the field.

This post is completely speculative!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger