McDonald has rearranged the Mount Rushmore of Arizona women’s athletes | The Boneyard

McDonald has rearranged the Mount Rushmore of Arizona women’s athletes

Final Four, McDonald and Wildcats

• Aari's double digit scoring streak ends in a beatdown

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Aari gets her's in a beatdiwn

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Aari hits for 30 in a Wildcat loss

• Upset for the ages.....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Understandably Tucson is insane with joy. Reflecting on this ecstasy puts in context the University of Connecticut program. The Wildcats have had a commendable run in the tournament and the media and fans are reflecting on Mount Rushmore, comparisons of Barnes to the legendary Lute Olsen, and the amazing ride.

This frames the amazing University of Connecticut program not only over the last 13 years but over the entire span of Huskies consistent domination.

McDonald has rearranged the Mount Rushmore of Arizona women’s athletes. She now takes a place opposite golfer Annika Sorenstam, softball player Jennie Finch and distance runner Amy Skieresz as the four Wildcat female athletes to rise to a rarified air.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wow, so just reaching a Final Four puts her on the mountain? Those other 3 have to be embarrassed and be saying “Really?, she’s joining us?” Shouldn’t a title or 1st team All-America be the qualifier? What about the former softball stars from the National Title softball teams who were All-American and Olympic stars besides Finch who played for Candrea?

I mean come on, no way she belongs up there, at least not yet.
Calm this little kitty exuberance a bit...Relish the achievement but also put it in proper perspective

Reaction Score
Wow, so just reaching a Final Four puts her on the mountain? Those other 3 have to be embarrassed and be saying “Really?, she’s joining us?” Shouldn’t a title or 1st team All-America be the qualifier? What about the former softball stars from the National Title softball teams who were All-American and Olympic stars besides Finch who played for Candrea?

I mean come on, no way she belongs up there, at least not yet.
Calm this little kitty exuberance a bit...Relish the achievement but also put it in proper perspective
Ikr..... But I think this does a nice job of underscoring how what Uconn fans take sometimes for granted other fan bases have never ever experienced.

100 miles north of Tucson the exuberance and ecstasy is much more muted. However I can certainly appreciate how amazing this must feel for all those Kitty fans.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ikr..... But I think this does a nice job of underscoring how what Uconn fans take sometimes for granted other fan bases have never ever experienced.

100 miles north of Tucson the exuberance and ecstasy is much more muted. However I can certainly appreciate how amazing this must feel for all those Kitty fans.
Actually my point is Arizona Softball is one of the 2 amazing programs in that sport and to only list Jennie Finch is insulting to all 8 NCAA Championship teams who had numerous MVPs and All-Americans which is directly analogous to UConn’s WCBB. No way does Aari belong in that Mt. Rushmore discussion unless she brings home a title. Leah Braatz was a 4-time First Team AA who won 2 titles, Laura Espinoza a 2-time First Team All-American who won 2 titles
Alicia Hollowell 2-time First Team AA, 1 National title, 1 Olympic Silver and the all time wins leader
These are just 3 players who are significantly more important than Aari

Reaction Score
Arizona has won 9 national championships in softball. Nancy Evans was a pitching legend before Finch, Taryne Mowatt carried them to two national titles pitching every inning, and Caitlin Lowe was ridiculous with her speed.

Reaction Score
Taryne Mowatt is one of my favorite athletes ever. Watching her outduel Monica Abbott for the championship was possibly the most courageous and inspiring things I’ve ever seen in sports. Her hands were literally bleeding as she pitched! Wow! What a treasured memory!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom