McCummings should start is now consensus except where it counts | The Boneyard

McCummings should start is now consensus except where it counts

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

It's funny how my strange idea of starting McCummings several weeks ago has blown up into consensus except for where it counts - Coach P.

Persistence and steadfastness are good traits but at some point knocking your head against a wall is plain stupid stubborness and that's the World Coach P currently resides in.

Even Coach Holtz mentioned that UConn looks like a different team when the QB can actually run.

When Coach Calhoun should put the walk-ons in when they are beating Tom Moore's team by 40 points and someone yells it out - Calhoun lips what do you want me to do (i.e. they suck and we don't) but then he yells at Blanney for a minute and when it appears like it's his decision he puts the walk-ons in. That time has long since past for Coach P. He is now demonstrating really bad judgement.

Reaction Score
Who said it was a concensus? McCummings hasn't shown good accuracy on the few throws he's made. If anything, it's Nebrich who should start before McCummings.

Also, when the game is out of hand, why are our starters still in the game??? how about nebrich or mccummings quarterbacking our last drive against pitt.

Reaction Score
If we are going to look towards next season I'd vote for Nebrich.

Reaction Score
Must be a Connecticut thing. About the HC stubborness when it comes to ineffective QBs. Go back to 2008 when a young Cody Endres leads the Huskies to an upset at home vs Cincy. The following week he has them poised for an upset against WVU (gotta catch that ball on the five in mid stride that would have been a TD expect that it hit the receiver in a bad spot - the hands) before hitting some turbulance.

The following week??? Reinsert TL coming off injury. Result? Bye-Bye passing threat and win against a weak Syracuse was followed by abysmal offensive duds (and losses) against USF & Pitt. And who will ever forget that shootout win against powerful Buffalo in the "Let's go to Canada for our Bowl game". Six passes, if I remember. . . and we as fans wonder why a passing game still doesn't exist in 2011.

Reaction Score
First, I don't think for one second that P has made a decision as to who will start against Cuse in 8 days.

And, if he has, he certainly isn't sharing that information publicly.

Nothing should surprise me at this point, but I will be somewhat shocked if JM starts against Cuse.

I'm hoping for Nebrich with an increased role from McCummings.

Reaction Score
Nebrick's high school highlight reel and bio. Tell me he couldn't do better than McEntee. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0apNoLycrrc He deserves a shot. How much worse can we do? Team lacks energy. Defense discouraged, too many 3 and outs.
First team all-state and player of the year. Metro Player of the Year by Washington Post, for D.C, MD and VA, Fairfax (Va.) Times Male Athlete of the Year, 1st team all-region and player of the year, All-District and player of the year...Senior season, broke VA state record for all-purpose yards, 4,968, 59 TDs...Team won 2nd consecutive Northern Region and Patriot District titles...Passed for state records 3,831 yards and 262 completions and 38 TDs (tied for 7th in state history)...235 rushing carries for 1,136 yards and 21 TDs... Junior yr, led team to first-ever state finals ...passed for 3,290 yards and 22 TDs... 265 carries for 1,231 yards and 24 TDs...ranks fourth in state history with 10,740 yards total offense (7,963 yards passing, 2,777 yards rushing) and 113 TDs...

Reaction Score
There's a saying in football that the most popular guy in town is usually the backup quarterback.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There's a saying in football that the most popular guy in town is usually the backup quarterback.

So we're screwed because our third stringer is more popular with the fans than the starter too?

Reaction Score
Nebrick's high school highlight reel and bio. Tell me he couldn't do better than McEntee. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0apNoLycrrc He deserves a shot. How much worse can we do? Team lacks energy. Defense discouraged, too many 3 and outs.

CC, that was Michael's junior highlights...he got even better his senior year when he broke Vick's Virginia records...I know he will do well at the collegiate level when he gets his shot. Here is Michael's senior highlights. I like Chin's comment! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-HVO9RiRg4&feature=related

C

Chief00

Just for the record McCummings has the highest passing completion % on the team. True his opportunities are very limited but all a player can do is perform when he plays it's up to the coaches to recognize a guy who has performed well and give him more time.
Coach P makes absolutely no sense when he talks about the QB situation.

Reaction Score
I hope, well no, I fully expect that practice reps today, and for the next 6 days are going to be evaluated very heavily at the QB position

We need to be able to recognize the open receiver, and get #cking ball into his chest on the run.

The one thing that I saw clearly, when looking at the game on TV after having been there, is that there was wide open space to run for the QB.

NOW - did Pitt intentionally do that? Or did it happen because of our game plan? No way for me to know.

BUT - if we're going to have that much space on the field to run out of the QB position, we need to run it.

I love Johnny Mac, but he's not a running QB.

Can Nebrich recognize when he's got space to run and gain yards instead of throw? Don;t know. The kid is a true freshman. Frazer didn't really get until last year.

It's not that easy to recognize when you're out there.

Reaction Score
I was pleased when PP gave Mac a shot. Shot's over, either he's burning a year on Nebrich cause CC is coming or he just doesn't get what a tenous sit UC is in. We need to be competitive in FB to stay or go to a conf that matters. I'm sorry PP I so badly wanted you to succeed.

Reaction Score
Whoever gets out there next Sat vs. Cuse? Well, first of all, I would think it's very, very important to the head coach of the 2011 UConn Huskies that we beat Syracuse this year.

I have absolutely no reason to doubt that whomever takes the field behind center this week, as our starter at the QB position, and our primary QB on offense, is the guy that our coaching staff has deemed the most effective in our chance of winning.

What would trouble me. Very much. Is that during this current week of practice, every QB on this roster was not worked to the edge of their capability to see who can run the game plan we're going to go into the game with the best.

Reaction Score
I hope, well no, I fully expect that practice reps today, and for the next 6 days are going to be evaluated very heavily at the QB position

We need to be able to recognize the open receiver, and get #cking ball into his chest on the run.

The one thing that I saw clearly, when looking at the game on TV after having been there, is that there was wide open space to run for the QB.

NOW - did Pitt intentionally do that? Or did it happen because of our game plan? No way for me to know.

BUT - if we're going to have that much space on the field to run out of the QB position, we need to run it.

I love Johnny Mac, but he's not a running QB.

Can Nebrich recognize when he's got space to run and gain yards instead of throw? Don;t know. The kid is a true freshman. Frazer didn't really get until last year.

It's not that easy to recognize when you're out there.
If I recall correctly, the last time he came in for a couple snaps, he saw that all his receivers were covered and ran 12 yards for a 1st down. Then PP took him out.

Reaction Score
I will you bet you the farm, that the last thing McCummings is looking at when he takes the snap is the deep coverage alignment of the field.

Reaction Score
Nebrich ran in HS, he would recognize the opportunity now. I don't know if JMc ran in HS but he missed 3 big chances on Wed night. No INT's on Wed but two bounced off Pitt defenders chests, we got lucky. It's time for a change, we aren't beating anyone the rest of this year with field goals.

Reaction Score
Another thing, watching the TCU/BYU game tonight it was scarey how fast those teams were and we would be in serious trouble lining up against those squads. We are in a very bad spot right now with this conf. realignment situation and if we play clueless boring FB the rest of the year people are going to forget all about our BB success. We need to show some life in these last 4 games. Defenses don't have to plan on JMc running. If he gets loose once so what. We need to join the rest of the college FB world. Get fast guys out there and turn them loose.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly Nebrich tossed a high # of interceptions his Junior year and was only a little better his senior year. The # 22 sticks in my mind. In viewing his highlights he throws a lot of completions into tight spots. Personally I'd rather risk a few interceptions in exchange for some exciting and productive offense. HCPP seems to like boring and safe and slow and maybe that's why Jmac is his guy. Lets give the Brick a shot !

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly Nebrich tossed a high # of interceptions his Junior year and was only a little better his senior year. The # 22 sticks in my mind.

For the record:

Season Games Pass TDs INTs PassYds RushYds RushTDs
Junior 15 22 21 3,290 1,231 24
Senior 14 38 9 3,831 1,136 21 (broke state records for passing, completions, & tot yards)

Note, his coaches installed a spread offense his junior year to fit Michael's capabilities and so the teamed had to learn a new system (thus the high INTs). The team was a well oiled machine his senior season. Also note how Michael's rush-to-pass stats flipped as he became a more mature, patient dual-threat QB. Something that cannot be read into the stats is he was a playmaker! Plan and simple. :) We look forward to seeing him behind center at UConn.

C

Chief00

Nebrich, I have not seen play, but at this point I would give him a shot too.

Reaction Score
Whoever gets out there next Sat vs. Cuse? Well, first of all, I would think it's very, very important to the head coach of the 2011 UConn Huskies that we beat Syracuse this year.

I have absolutely no reason to doubt that whomever takes the field behind center this week, as our starter at the QB position, and our primary QB on offense, is the guy that our coaching staff has deemed the most effective in our chance of winning.

What would trouble me. Very much. Is that during this current week of practice, every QB on this roster was not worked to the edge of their capability to see who can run the game plan we're going to go into the game with the best.

I don't doubt they will play who they deem will be most effective, just like the last 8 games. My problem is that since I don't agree with JMc continuing to get exclusive play as "regular" QB which was their decision, why would I think they will be any better on this decision. You can't possibly be sure enough about JMc giving the best chance to win after these multi sack games to not play Nebrich late in the games to see what he can do. Practice is not the same as games, what it doesn't value is "play making by moving/running" since you can't tackle the QB. This "practice" stuff is partially bogus; Auburn coach last year said he couldn't really tell how good Scam was as a QB until a live game as how can you really judge "elusiveness and playmaking" in no tackle the QB practice?

Reaction Score
It's funny how my strange idea of starting McCummings several weeks ago has blown up into consensus except for where it counts - Coach P.

I think it was it Bill Parcells that said:

"The day you start listening to the fans is the day you'll start sitting with them"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom