Mccummings - Coach P No Longer Stuck On Stupid | The Boneyard

Mccummings - Coach P No Longer Stuck On Stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

It was good to see, as one fan said, that Coach P was no longer stuck on stupid and finally played McCummings some decent amount of plays. Having an elite athlete at the QB position does make a difference!
Let's not over analyze this one - there is only one reason we won and that was McCummings - when the defense saw that the offense could make plays then they stepped up too.

I hope and pray that Coach P will stay with McCummings - who contrary to some posters is also a heck of a passer. As Doug Flutie said this kid can play - he was proven correct and Coach P's assessments were really poor. But, that's water over the dam now unless Coach P reverts to stuck on stupid again.

Reaction Score
McCummings was outstanding, no doubt. The difference maker today. I'd turn the reigns over to him. He makes the offense a threat to score . . . something new for UConn. HOWEVER . . . . someone needs to clue him into the reality that QBs don't get to count 6 Mississippi, 7 Mississippi. The ball needs to be out of his hand sooner. That play was really close and would have been really devastating. Might be something the coaches wanna review with him. Aside from that, he should be under center in two weeks.

Reaction Score
Why would you think PP would recognize "a heck of a passer". Has he shown fans any glimpse of understanding the modern college game passing attack.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
McCummings was outstanding, no doubt. The difference maker today. I'd turn the reigns over to him. He makes the offense a threat to score . . . something new for UConn. HOWEVER . . . . someone needs to clue him into the reality that QBs don't get to count 6 Mississippi, 7 Mississippi. The ball needs to be out of his hand sooner. That play was really close and would have been really devastating. Might be something the coaches wanna review with him. Aside from that, he should be under center in two weeks.

Can I show you McCummings passing line? You know TDHusky... throw it around the field... modern passing is all that matters (rather than the scoreboard).

McCummings passing today: 0-0

Reaction Score
heck of a passer? in what freaking world? he's thrown the ball 7 times. 7.

Reaction Score
Can I show you McCummings passing line? You know TDHusky... throw it around the field... modern passing is all that matters (rather than the scoreboard).

McCummings passing today: 0-0

See, Whaler, how much easier this game is when you score TDs? "Rather than the scoreboard"? 4-5 How's that scoreboard looking?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
See, Whaler, how much easier this game is when you score TDs? "Rather than the scoreboard"? 4-5 How's that scoreboard looking?

The scoreboard looked just fine to me today.

I know how bad they have been this season... You've done nothing for the last few years but talk about throwing the ball. Now after a win you are supporting a change to quarterback who didn't throw the ball a single time in the win.

Obviously you've devolved into straight trolling. Shouldn't you wait and see if they lose to Louisville before you run your mouth?

Reaction Score
I loved that they played him more today and he played great. I've never liked putting him for one play only here and there and taking him out. When he is in he needs to get some rhythm, and he is much better than Mac around the goal line. Bottom line...we scored. Would love to get both out of ONE QB but if we get it from two I'm not going to complain.

C

Chief00

McCummings is a very good passer. They just need to put the pass plays in his play package. Last week they doubled his play package.......now they need to balance it more with pass plays. They should have done that 2 months ago - and our record would be very different.

Reaction Score
Coach P is slowly coming to the realization that most of the fan base made during the Vandy game. Mac is not the answer. Now, get the freshman in there

Reaction Score
Listening to 1080 on the way to the game, yes I got there late for a change, JoeD interviewed McCummings and HE stated he still had to work on recognizing defenses, and compacting his throwing motion. He stated until he masters those parts of the game, he won't be ready to be a full time QB, because that is what causes you to play slow and you can't play slow at this level. He sounded VERY intelligent in how he spoke and defined it as becoming second nature, to the point where it isn't on your mind when you take the snap. For a freshman, I was impressed with the interview.

C

Chief00

I think our OL likes the aggression of the running game. McCummings is an elite athlete and I agree he is a smart kid. He will give defenses fits as he progresses. I predict he will be the best QB in UConn history.

Reaction Score
Listening to 1080 on the way to the game, yes I got there late for a change, JoeD interviewed McCummings and HE stated he still had to work on recognizing defenses, and compacting his throwing motion. He stated until he masters those parts of the game, he won't be ready to be a full time QB, because that is what causes you to play slow and you can't play slow at this level. He sounded VERY intelligent in how he spoke and defined it as becoming second nature, to the point where it isn't on your mind when you take the snap. For a freshman, I was impressed with the interview.

So the coaches know he isnt ready. And the palyers know he isnt ready it's just the fans that think he's ready based on not seeing any practice and never having seen him throw but 7 times. Basically they have put him in only for plays he is ready for. so natuarally he looks decent when he is in there. But the kid himself is telling us he has no idea how to read defensese and that his reactions are slow. Unless we are going to run every play he isnt the guy. Yet. I like the way he sounds though. he understands the situation. He might be a good one. We are making the best of a bad situation with three totally unexperienced QB's. Ill trust the coaches and players who seem to know the situation.

Reaction Score

Didn't he have a chance to play at Harvard? Amazing to be so athletically gifted and an intellectual freak.

He's young, too, which you have to be optimistic about. Between him and McCombs, who knows. Sky could be the limit. Hard to say.

Reaction Score
McCummings is not a good passer and he doesn't need to be a good passer. His offensive sets seem to always produce a guy who is wide open. McCummings just needs to be an adequate passer to be effective. If he could just be DJ Hernandez throwing the ball he would be an All Conference player.

McCombs was standing by himself on McCummings one pass play yesterday. McCummings just needed to turn his head to see him.

Reaction Score
McCummings is not a good passer and he doesn't need to be a good passer. His offensive sets seem to always produce a guy who is wide open. McCummings just needs to be an adequate passer to be effective. If he could just be DJ Hernandez throwing the ball he would be an All Conference player.

McCombs was standing by himself on McCummings one pass play yesterday. McCummings just needed to turn his head to see him.

Actually, we don't know if he is a good passer. I think Chief00 is wrong when he states it as a fact that McCummings is a great passer, just as I think you are wrong when you say he isn't. He played well yesterday, I do think he has earned the right to play more and throw a little. Once he throws more than 2-3 times in a game we will see what he is.

Yesterday he dropped back once, held the ball for 10 seconds and got clobbered and fumbled. Not sure what that means.

Reaction Score
Coach P is slowly coming to the realization that most of the fan base made during the Vandy game. Mac is not the answer. Now, get the freshman in there

I'm still ok with Mac/McCummings until we are no longer bowl eligible. Even if it is better for the long run, we have winnable games and I'm not sure that Nebrich gives us a better chance to win in our last 3 games.

Now that may be the case BECAUSE he didn't get the reps that many think he should have, but we can't look backward at this point. I'd give Scotty more reps and a bigger set of plays along with Mac and then see what happens.

Reaction Score
I'm still ok with Mac/McCummings until we are no longer bowl eligible. Even if it is better for the long run, we have winnable games and I'm not sure that Nebrich gives us a better chance to win in our last 3 games.

Now that may be the case BECAUSE he didn't get the reps that many think he should have, but we can't look backward at this point. I'd give Scotty more reps and a bigger set of plays along with Mac and then see what happens.

Like I said on another topic: why doesn't Coach P give the players who were actually recruited as QBs more of a chance than a walk on that wasn't recruited at all? Especially when none of the three had any experience this "new" system.

Reaction Score
It was good to see, as one fan said, that Coach P was no longer stuck on stupid and finally played McCummings some decent amount of plays. Having an elite athlete at the QB position does make a difference!
Let's not over analyze this one - there is only one reason we won and that was McCummings - when the defense saw that the offense could make plays then they stepped up too.

I hope and pray that Coach P will stay with McCummings - who contrary to some posters is also a heck of a passer. As Doug Flutie said this kid can play - he was proven correct and Coach P's assessments were really poor. But, that's water over the dam now unless Coach P reverts to stuck on stupid again.
He will stay with it until the other team figures out how to defend it. McCummings has to throw it more, even if he just throws it out of bounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom