McCants files suit against UNC and NCAA | The Boneyard

McCants files suit against UNC and NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BTW I read here that Mary Willingham's book "Cheated" was available online. I tried to buy the Kindle version, but Amazon is only taking pre-orders for the hardback, to be released March 15 (just in time for March madness, coincidentally, I'm sure)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yow, well this is really going to open up Pandora's box for the NCAA. UNC was already getting mired deeper in the sludge, but Emmert actually has to dislodge his pinkie from his nostrils and start trying to find some cover.

Reaction Score
Maybe Diamond DeShields' transfer was pre-emptive act to avoid the possible sanctions against the school in the near future.

Reaction Score
Maybe Diamond DeShields' transfer was pre-emptive act to avoid the possible sanctions against the school in the near future.
I doubt it. I think it had more to do with Tea Cooper.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It has been known for a good while that many of the UNC wcbb players were involved with the "paper classes". However, Dobbs is certainly right about the Pandora's Box effect. The article actually says that McCants and the former football player have "applied to have the suit expanded to a class action suit", but it would be very surprising if this request were not granted. Hold on to your hats.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
'Course this ground was plowed, cross tilled and plowed again last spring, but what I cannot get around on these suits is the willing participation of these athletes in the whole darn shoddy scheme. If they claim they did not know they were participating in academic fraud, then the defense of the University should be they were unteachable ! But zorro, I suspect the U will claim there are unique circumstances about each case that would defeat class status, then the trial judge will defer decision of the class motion, then the class will be certified as part of a settlement package.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
'Course this ground was plowed, cross tilled and plowed again last spring, but what I cannot get around on these suits is the willing participation of these athletes in the whole darn shoddy scheme. If they claim they did not know they were participating in academic fraud, then the defense of the University should be they were unteachable ! But zorro, I suspect the U will claim there are unique circumstances about each case that would defeat class status, then the trial judge will defer decision of the class motion, then the class will be certified as part of a settlement package.
I think some of the issue was that the coaches and academic advisors said ... 'no, you cannot take _____ class, you must take these classes or you are on your own' sort of thing. And yes, some of these athletes were dumber than dirt, and probably had no idea. I mean some of them read at a preschool level.

Reaction Score
Yow, well this is really going to open up Pandora's box for the NCAA. UNC was already getting mired deeper in the sludge, but Emmert actually has to dislodge his pinkie from his nostrils and start trying to find some cover.

For the first time, I'm beginning to enjoy this scandal. I hope Emmert twists in the wind for a few more years, that P.O.S.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think some of the issue was that the coaches and academic advisors said ... 'no, you cannot take _____ class, you must take these classes or you are on your own' sort of thing. And yes, some of these athletes were dumber than dirt, and probably had no idea. I mean some of them read at a preschool level.

Yeah, and if the school proves they were dumber than dirt, is that an affirmative defense or what some call a defense in avoidance: if we had given them real courses they would have flunked out! Or would the school be barred from asserting that defense because that requires you using your own wrongdoing to bar a claim, namely violating admission standards to promote your athletic program/donation stream? Could the school use the "student's" lack of smarts in the damages phase: their lifetime earning stream/denial of enjoyment of achievement, etc. is primarily inhibited by their own stupidity. If you are UNC do you want to be in court denigrating your former "student athletes." Let 'em squirm.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Emmert's statements as the general investigation of the 65 P5 schools begins is indeed interesting. He's blaming part of the problem on the lowering of standards for athletes at at least some schools to get them on teams that they're not academically qualified for. When you have the quarterback of the BCS-winning team asking why football players need to go to class at all, it's clear that there is a lot of bogus doings in the NCAA and BCS-related systems.

And as they say, at the end of it all, NC Charlotte is going to be hit really hard by the NCAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom