McCall down to five | The Boneyard

McCall down to five

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Shocking news item from this article -- that the #11 player in the 2013 class is the "premiere high school player in her hometown (Bakersfield)." I thought the #1, #2, and #3 players were from Bakersfield as well.

===

Based on the list of schools, I would bet on Stanford.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I would be really surprised if we get her. Has she been accepted to Stanford?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't have a good feeling on any of the kids from 2013, except maybe for Chong. Frankly i'm shocked that the staff has only decided to focus on 3 kids. Geno has said many many times that he never again wants a class of only 1, never mind a class of 0, but it seems that both of those are very likely possibilities. People on here will say "well we already got a great start from 2014 and that class probably has better players available to us", but a class of 0 or 1 at this point would be a big disappointment.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Yes he's said that. Then he took Kelly Faris.

Yes, but that comment was made after the the one player class of Faris.

No players in the 2013 class will only hurt us in an injury situation.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Cal State Bakersfield is where her dad coaches, so they have a legit shot.

Reaction Score
Cal State Bakersfield is where her dad coaches, so they have a legit shot.

I doubt it. I bet it's just to get the Bakersfield name out there and give it some publicity.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I guess he would rather take one or no players than fill the class with players that don't fit in the system.

Do you actually believe there are only 3 players in this class that would be a good fit for UConn?

I'm with Eric ... an empty class would not be good. They don't have to be can't-miss stars ... all that is needed are kids who will be a good teammate and do what they can to contribute. McClaren/Gardler types. A bit of oil to keep things rolling happily along.

I sure hope the coaches have not forgotten the value of those kids. I wonder if this Olympics distraction is have a substantial effect on this year's recruiting.

Or perhaps there really are some players lined up, maybe from overseas, who are in the wings?

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
We lost at least one NC because of a lack of depth. I hope that won't happen again. It looks as if we are really going to come up short handed for 2013. Many mention the silver lining: that should help with recruitment for 2014 and 15. Gotta trust in Geno and CD, but the low "haul" makes me nervous.

Reaction Score
McClaren was a top 50 recruit and a McDonald's All-American. There were some schools scared off by the weight, but there were also plenty of top schools interested besides UConn. If there was a Kaili McLaren in this class Geno would be recruiting her. If there was a similar player to Meghan Gardler who had wanted to come to UConn as much as Meghan Gardler did then Geno would be recruiting her as well.

Yes, there can be only 3 kids in a recruiting class that are both good fits for UConn in terms of both basketball and personality traits, and have mutual interest in UConn. Once you draw out that venn diagram and eliminate the kids that don't fit and the kids who do fit, but want to go somewhere else the result is a tiny overlap. How big that overlap is changes every year. The way UConn recruits is a huge part of why UConn is the program that it is. Some years the harvest is plentiful and other years there is a drought. I know some people think of Geno as a god, but he really can't make it rain.

Do you actually believe there are only 3 players in this class that would be a good fit for UConn?

I'm with Eric ... an empty class would not be good. They don't have to be can't-miss stars ... all that is needed are kids who will be a good teammate and do what they can to contribute. McClaren/Gardler types. A bit of oil to keep things rolling happily along.

I sure hope the coaches have not forgotten the value of those kids. I wonder if this Olympics distraction is have a substantial effect on this year's recruiting.

Or perhaps there really are some players lined up, maybe from overseas, who are in the wings?

Reaction Score
Nah, he said that years ago. I think after the KJ class.
True, and he has obviously failed to reach his own self-imposed standard more than once. Don't try to convince me we haven't been hurt in recent years by too few useable players - the 2010-2011 rotation of only 6 players, with Dixon as #6, killed us.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, there can be only 3 kids in a recruiting class that are both good fits for UConn in terms of both basketball and personality traits, and have mutual interest in UConn. Once you draw out that venn diagram and eliminate the kids that don't fit and the kids who do fit, but want to go somewhere else the result is a tiny overlap. How big that overlap is changes every year. The way UConn recruits is a huge part of why UConn is the program that it is. Some years the harvest is plentiful and other years there is a drought. I know some people think of Geno as a god, but he really can't make it rain.
There is also the fact that 2013 kids are looking at UConn's roster and thinking that there's not a lot of immediate playing time available. Every time Geno has signed a blockbuster recruiting class, he's had a smallish or "lesser" class follow.

The 1998 class of Swin, Sue, Asjha and Tamika (plus Kiersten) was followed by KJ as the lone signee in the class of 1999.

The 2002 class of Ann, BT, Nicole and Willnett was followed by Liz Sherwood, Kiana Robinson and Kia Wright, all of whom transferred out.

The exception would be Maya's arriving in Storrs in Tina's sophomore year but Maya is exceptional in every other way, so why not in recruiting, too?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
True, and he has obviously failed to reach his own self-imposed standard more than once. Don't try to convince me we haven't been hurt in recent years by too few useable players - the 2010-2011 rotation of only 6 players, with Dixon as #6, killed us.
That wasn't recruiting failure, though. Jessica McCormack went back to Australia, Samarie Walker bolted for Kentucky and Caroline Doty was sitting out because of yet another ACL injury. Just an unfortunate perfect storm of bad news.

Reaction Score
That wasn't recruiting failure, though. Jessica McCormack went back to Australia, Samarie Walker bolted for Kentucky and Caroline Doty was sitting out because of yet another ACL injury. Just an unfortunate perfect storm of bad news.

And EDD, we lost her too.

Reaction Score
I still say Geno has something in the works. Maybe international talent that he doesn't want to announce until after the Olympics and tournaments.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, there can be only 3 kids in a recruiting class that are both good fits for UConn in terms of both basketball and personality traits, and have mutual interest in UConn.

Ding, ding, ding.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Seems like Duke is in the final 5 of alot of these top recruits.... hopefully we can snag a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom