MBB updates from Amore | The Boneyard

MBB updates from Amore

Reaction Score
UConn Men: So Far, Alterique Gilbert Attacking Rim With Confidence

Hurley on Alterique Gilbert: “Sometimes when you’re a junior or senior, you become old and stale some days - 'I’ve been there, done that, I’ve had hundreds of college practices.’ But not Al – Al is like young and hungry right now, a lot of energy, talking, real grateful to be back out there and it has given us a lift overall.”

Hurley on Jalen Adams: “My thing with Jalen. I’d like to just see that grit. He’s got so much game, so much natural talent. If he adds grit and toughness, a tough-guy mind-set, it’s going to change everything. Three things I’ve harped on with Jalen: leadership, grit, shooting.”

Hurley on Kassoum Yakwe: “That’s why he was such a good fit for us. The way we aggressively guard ball screens, you need athletic guys because we’re going to get beat off the dribble occasionally because of our ball pressure. You need people who can alter things at the rim.”

Reaction Score
Also:

Hurley and the staff are spending a lot of their allotted time working on defense, as UConn, which has played more zone in recent years, will get back to tough man-to-man. “Lot of teaching right now,” Hurley said, “on how you’re going to guard all the different actions.”

Reaction Score
Another one from the New London Day.

Hurley is fine with UConn fans setting high expectations.

"I kind of like it unrealistic," he said. "I like stretch goals. I like to reach for things that are pretty high in terms of goals. I think we should have really high expectations going into the season. We want to be a postseason team. I've coached in the postseason the last couple of years and I liked it. We've got some older players that want to experience playing in March. That's the goal. That's the goal for everyone when you're starting out.

"If these guys are as good as they think are and as we think they are, particularly the guards, then we should have a chance to be."

A healthy Gilbert excited about upcoming UConn basketball season

Reaction Score
HooperScooper said:
"If these guys are as good as they think are and as we think they are, particularly the guards, then we should have a chance to be [VERY GOOD]."
And if they're as good as the average BYer thinks they are, it's an elite eight team.

Last edited by a moderator:

pj

Reaction Score
In addition to the new staff, I think we have several additions, including Alterique, to get us over 500 and maybe 20+ wins. Not sure about the tournament until we get to see them. I very much want to see how Cobb plays.

Yes, Yakwe and sophomore Carlton will add a lot more than Onuorah and freshman Carlton. Sid Wilson and soph Polley might be as good as Larrier. Alterique is a huge upgrade at point. Cobb, Whaley, Diarra, and Williams can't be worse. Jalen and Vital will be better. The roster is significantly improved.

Mix in better coaching and 20 wins is assured I think. Making the tourney is a reasonable goal. Winning one or more games in the tourney is a stretch goal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Still no mentions of sid good or bad. Im not optimistic with him for a few reasons

Yes, a little disappointing that there is so little mention of Wilson, Polley and Whaley in these early assessments. Often sounds as if Hurley would like to play four guards with Yakwe in the middle. Not even sure the four guards would include Vital. Glad to hear that Diarra is on target for a late-December return. I persist in thinking that the best UConn lineup, come Feb-Mar, would have Carlton and Diarra starting.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, a little disappointing that there is so little mention of Wilson, Polley and Whaley in these early assessments. Often sounds as if Hurley would like to play four guards with Yakwe in the middle. Not even sure the four guards would include Vital. Glad to hear that Diarra is on target for a late-December return. I persist in thinking that the best UConn lineup, come Feb-Mar, would have Carlton and Diarra starting.

I wouldn't read anything into that. The preseason stories are coach-speak, if someone's not getting praised it means the coach has given him things to work on and he hasn't achieved them yet. Most likely with Wilson, Polley, and Whaley -- all string beans -- it's strength. You don't add that in a day. I'd assume they are working on it and Hurley is withholding praise to keep them motivated. Yet they may still be among our biggest basketball contributors, especially late in the season.

Reaction Score
On a positive note, the bit about Alterique's appreciation and being grateful for the continued opportunity to play the game, feeling inspired if you will, bringing that energy and spirit to the team as a leader and a brother, uplifting as Hurley put it, this does wonders for team chemistry and morale. This contributes greatly to giving a team cohesiveness and backbone and the will to contend.

Yeah, it's a rah rah post, but there is truth to it. Bleed Blue!

Reaction Score
FIFY

I continue to believe that, if Adams can put it all together, he has the talent to be one of the best players in the country.

If Hurley can get the best out of him, then March will be great.

C

Chief00

Also:

Hurley and the staff are spending a lot of their allotted time working on defense, as UConn, which has played more zone in recent years, will get back to tough man-to-man. “Lot of teaching right now,” Hurley said, “on how you’re going to guard all the different actions.”

Music to my ears. I also bet that is what a HOF coach likes to hear too. LOL

C

Chief00

On a positive note, the bit about Alterique's appreciation and being grateful for the continued opportunity to play the game, feeling inspired if you will, bringing that energy and spirit to the team as a leader and a brother, uplifting as Hurley put it, this does wonders for team chemistry and morale. This contributes greatly to giving a team cohesiveness and backbone and the will to contend.

Yeah, it's a rah rah post, but there is truth to it. Bleed Blue!

Gilbert is exactly like that. A pleasure to be around and it seems genuine. I also think Coach Hurley is challenging Jalen Adams, although it’s also factual.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Gilbert is exactly like that. A pleasure to be around and it seems genuine. I also think Coach Hurley is challenging Jalen Adams, although it’s also factual.
If you ever are trying to explain Chief to someone, just show them this sentence.^

"Although my 'inside knowledge' from reading the newspaper says Hurley is challenging Jalen, everyone else also reads the newspaper. But I'll still take credit for knowing it."

pj

Reaction Score
If you ever are trying to explain Chief to someone, just show them this sentence.^

"Although my 'inside knowledge' from reading the newspaper says Hurley is challenging Jalen, everyone else also reads the newspaper. But I'll still take credit for knowing it."

Remember Chief is under the gag order, so he can't disclose confidential inside information. But once something close to the truth is in the newspaper, under the 'mosaic theory' (Mosaic Theory) Chief is free to speak. Thanks Chief!

C

Chief00

Please let Chief translate. Coach Hurley is putting that out there in the paper to motivate Jalen. However, it is very factually true - it’s just not pushing buttons.

I will tell you of the comparison I was thinking of when I posted that. Remember when in the NCAA tournament Coach Calhoun said to Daniels before the Florida game - “no one is talking about you” after he did not play well the previous game. I think that was Coach Calhoun pushing buttons, I don’t think Coach did a social media survey to see if anyone was talking about Daniels. LOL.
Coach Calhoun did that strictly to motivate - to push buttons - which he was a master at. Guess what, it worked and while KO may have been upset that Calhoun got some credit for the victory, which explains what happened the following year. It nevertheless is an example of commenting to motivate rather than on some factual data. Hurley on the other hand was doing both.

Reaction Score
I have a personal gag order with Chief that I will lift after September 29, the start of practice.

It involves predictions for this year based on public, non-public and other data that has been shared with an elite group of confidantes.

Reaction Score
Please let Chief translate. Coach Hurley is putting that out there in the paper to motivate Jalen. However, it is very factually true - it’s just not pushing buttons.

I will tell you of the comparison I was thinking of when I posted that. Remember when in the NCAA tournament Coach Calhoun said to Daniels before the Florida game - “no one is talking about you” after he did not play well the previous game. I think that was Coach Calhoun pushing buttons, I don’t think Coach did a social media survey to see if anyone was talking about Daniels. LOL.
Coach Calhoun did that strictly to motivate - to push buttons - which he was a master at. Guess what, it worked and while KO may have been upset that Calhoun got some credit for the victory, which explains what happened the following year. It nevertheless is an example of commenting to motivate rather than on some factual data. Hurley on the other hand was doing both.

Thanks for explaining this, Chief. I get it now.

Reaction Score

Calhoun wasn't talking about social media. Daniels knew who he meant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom