Maybe we should have shot 30 threes. | The Boneyard

Maybe we should have shot 30 threes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We shot 26 and and made 10. We passed up some open threes to drive into the teeth of the defense.

Just sayin.

Reaction Score
must be something about those teeth, but I can't put my finger on it.

Reaction Score
We shot 26 and and made 10. We passed up some open threes to drive into the teeth of the defense.

Just sayin.

I disagree, I thought we shot too many threes. Its been a bad habit the whole season.

We need to generate more free throws and we are not going to get to the line by shooting 3s. Each one of our opponents this season, with the exception of Maine, has gotten to the line more times than us. With how talented and athletic we are thats inexcusable, especially in this "freedom of movement" era. We can't allow this to be the norm especially when we face better opponents.

Since the Maine game 29 out of 36 (81%) of Gibbs field goal attempts in those 4 games have come from beyond the arc, he is relying too much on his outside shooting. He is a good 3 point shooter but he is an excellent free throw shooter (93%) who has only missed 1 free throw in 5 games, the problem is that he has only gotten to the line 14 times in 5 games. With his speed and handle in the freedom of movement era thats way to low. The benefit of attacking the lane is that even if he can't get to the rim he can draw fouls or he can dish it to an open man when the defense collapses.

I liked the fact that Purvis was more aggressive in the second half by driving to the rim, its the right idea and I am sure thats what Ollie told him to do during halftime, unfortunately he just missed too many layups. I have faith in Purvis that as the season progresses more of those drives will end up with made baskets, but he absolutely must improve his free throw shooting because he will get fouled on many of those drives. He is shooting about 25% at the charity stripe so far!

Its great that as a team the three ball is a legitimate option for us, but we are too talented of a team to be a "live or die on the 3" kind of team. The 3 pointer is an equalizer in college basketball but UCONN will be the more talented team against almost all of our opponents this year and we should have no interest in equalizing.

Reaction Score
I disagree, I thought we shot too many threes. Its been a bad habit the whole season.

We need to generate more free throws and we are not going to get to the line by shooting 3s. Each one of our opponents this season, with the exception of Maine, has gotten to the line more times than us. With how talented and athletic we are thats inexcusable, especially in this "freedom of movement" era. We can't allow this to be the norm especially when we face better opponents.

Since the Maine game 29 out of 36 (81%) of Gibbs field goal attempts in those 4 games have come from beyond the arc, he is relying too much on his outside shooting. He is a good 3 point shooter but he is an excellent free throw shooter (93%) who has only missed 1 free throw in 5 games, the problem is that he has only gotten to the line 14 times in 5 games. With his speed and handle in the freedom of movement era thats way to low. The benefit of attacking the lane is that even if he can't get to the rim he can draw fouls or he can dish it to an open man when the defense collapses.

I liked the fact that Purvis was more aggressive in the second half by driving to the rim, its the right idea and I am sure thats what Ollie told him to do during halftime, unfortunately he just missed too many layups. I have faith in Purvis that as the season progresses more of those drives will end up with made baskets, but he absolutely must improve his free throw shooting because he will get fouled on many of those drives. He is shooting about 25% at the charity stripe so far!

Its great that as a team the three ball is a legitimate option for us, but we are too talented of a team to be a "live or die on the 3" kind of team. The 3 pointer is an equalizer in college basketball but UCONN will be the more talented team against almost all of our opponents this year and we should have no interest in equalizing.

The Warriors are the best team in the NBA. Should the eschew the 3 because it's an "equalizer"? No. Shooting the 3 is what makes them as good as they are.

And, in fact, with our perimeter weapons, outside shooting should be one of our strengths.

This is 21st century basketball. Excelling from deep is something to relish, not shy away from.

Reaction Score
The idea that the way you beat the zone is by trying to pass to the top of the key or penetrate the zone and dish it, is in fact correct. However, this strategy can fail against a very good (long and athletic) zone, because the zone collapses easily when played well. What is needed is to stretch the zone to make it hard to collapse and make it easy to work inside. The only way to stretch the zone is to shoot over it. There was a span during the game where we kept trying to force it inside when what was needed was to shoot over the zone and try and stretch it. At some point the shots drop and they are forced to run out to guard us. That is when you go inside. It is a balancing act and you mix it up based on how the zone is played. There is no "one" way to beat the zone. As it turned out, it was our 3 point shooting that got us back in the game.

Reaction Score
The Warriors are the best team in the NBA. Should the eschew the 3 because it's an "equalizer"? No. Shooting the 3 is what makes them as good as they are.

And, in fact, with our perimeter weapons, outside shooting should be one of our strengths.

This is 21st century basketball. Excelling from deep is something to relish, not shy away from.

So this year's Uconn team is comparable to the Golden State Warriors?

Has anyone on our team been able to knock down 3s with consistency this season? if anything we have a bunch of guys on our team who can take and make 3s but i dont know of a guy i'd give it to in a must need 3 point situation at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom